Human-Like Robot

Almost Like A Dream

I can’t help but play the scene over and over again in my head. Was she his girlfriend? That can’t be true, since he would be spending time with her instead. She’s probably his friend if anything, a friend that really likes him.

I sighed and rolled over in my bed. My heart feels like it was used as a punching bag, like something precious from me was taken away. He’s my only friend, but I feel like I’m heartbroken.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. I got up and answered to find Minhyuk with a huge smile on his face. A huge smile appeared on my face as well. “What brings you here?” I asked. “I wanted to spend time with you.” He responded. I always seem to get palpitations whenever he says that he wants to spend time with me. The same scene replayed in my head again. “Wh-Who was that girl yesterday?” I said nervously. “Oh, Yori? She’s my creator.” He responded calmly. I became extremely confused. “What does that even mean?” He looked at me like he didn’t understand why I didn’t understand. “She created me the day before we met.” No matter what he said, none of it made any sense.

As I was trying to process everything, the same girl from yesterday came up to my apartment. “I told you that he’s mine, didn’t I?” She aggressively said. I was starting to lose my temper, since things just keep on getting more confusing by the second. I slowly walked up to her, maintaining eye contact with her, and said, “What exactly are you to him? And what does he mean that you are his creator? Everything is so confusing, and I just want to know what’s going on!” She looked over at Minhyuk and then back at me. “You probably won’t believe me, but he’s a robot.” I gave her a ‘are you serious?’ look and tried to process what I just heard. “I created him to fall in love with me, since humans show no interest in me. I gave up on them, so I decided to create a robot that was more human than the crap on the streets.” What exactly is happening? The Minhyuk I’ve known for two months now has been a robot? “Is this too much to comprehend? I guess it would be for another crappy human.” I looked up at her and was about to snap, but Minhyuk intervened. “Don’t talk to her like that.” She looked up at him, surprised. “Wh-Why are you being like this? You were supposed to fall in love with me!! Have you seriously fallen for her!?” He looked over at me and smiled. “If this is what you call love, then yes.”

I couldn’t believe anything that was happening, but when he said that he loved me, it made the least amount of sense. “H-How does a robot have human emotions? And look so life-like?” I asked. She snickered at me. “I really did a fantastic job on his synthetic body, and I programed complex and in-depth human emotions and intelligence into his brain, so he’s more human than actual humans. He had to observe people to learn emotions properly, that’s why I enrolled him into college. I programmed him to act properly with those emotions, that’s why he’s so much better than them.”

I looked up at him and he smiled back. Yori immediately grabbed Minhyuk’s hand and told him to go with her, but he didn’t move. “I’m not going with you.” She looked up at him, appalled. “Fine. Stay with her then.” She released his hand and stormed off.

I now had a robot that apparently loves me, standing at my doorstep. His smile turned into a frown. “Do you not love me?” I stared at his sad face. “I-I don’t know…” He began to pout. You really can’t tell that he’s a robot, I mean I kind of realised it when I first met him, but he changed. I guess he really did learn emotions properly. “Is it because I’m a robot?” he asked. I paused for a while and replied. “I don’t know…” He slightly smiled and said, “It’s okay. Take your time to think. I understand that humans need to think.” He waved goodbye and walked away.