The Beginning

My Magic Sketchbook [Hiatus]

"Beep... Beep..." The digital alarm clock beeped incessantly without mercy. It was a Sunday, but Jung-ah had to help her father collect newspapers that day. Waking up groggily, she pressed the "Stop" button on her alarm clock and stood up on the cold and hard floor. 

Walking along the hallway to get to the bathroom, she walked past a mirror and caught a glimpse of herself at the corner of her eyes. 
"I look hideous!" she thought.
She took a step inside the bathroom and got ready for the day. Paying close attention to her hair and face after looking at the mirror.
After she got ready, she walked to the kitchen, looking refreshed, to have breakfast with her father.

She was poor, so breakfast was usually a slice or two of bread with either some jam or butter. Her father was already done with his breakfast and was washing his plates when she walked in the kitchen. Hastily applying butter on her bread, she stuffed it in before washing the plates hurriedly to get in her father's rented truck in time to collect newspapers.

Her father stoppped near a residential area. The whole place was filled with high-rise residential flats so she had a lot to collect. On the first floor of one of the flats, she saw quite a number of wagons. Which only meant one thing, there were other newspaper collectors! She rushed up the flights of stairs, but only to see that all the newspaper were collected. 

Walking back down empty-handed and dejected, her father knew what was wrong. He motioned her to get on the truck. She got on and he zoomed off to another stop. He stopped in front of a dilapidated house. Jung-ah asked him why he stopped there and he replied, saying that he saw a stack of newspaper behind the house. Obeying him, she stepped off the vehicle and went around the house. Surprisingly, there was a stack of newspaper behind the house even though no one seemed to be living inside the house! Thinking nothing of it, she grabbed the stack of newspapers but found a yellowed and old sketchbook wedged in-between two newspapers. She briefly scanned the book before slipping it inside her slingbag. She then took out a length of string to tie the newspaper together and carried it with much difficulty back to the truck before putting it at the back of the truck.

After that, her father drove her around a few more places to collect newspaper before dropping her off at the house. He then left for the newspaper collection centre to sell the collected newspaper for money.

By the time she was back, it was late afternoon and she was famished and exhausted. She found last night's dinner leftovers in the fridge and she heated it in the microwave oven before eating it. After dinner, she did the dishes but remembering to leave something for her father to eat on the table when he returns. 

Walking back to her room, she took out the mysterious sketchbook that she found earlier that day. On the front page, there were faint imprints which seemed to have once been a title. It was too faded and she couldn't make out the words that were written. Flipping through the yellowed paper, there was nothing written or drawn inside the book. She would have thought that the book was new if it wasn't for the yellowed pages. When she reached the last page, she was about to close the book when she noticed a queer sign which resembled a omega (Ω) sign next to the last page. The sign looked fresh. As if it had been inked on recently. 

Putting the book under her pillow so her father wouldn't find it, she lay on her bed, thinking about the sign before drifting off to dreamland...

----
A/N: Hello~ keke sorry if my writing looks like a work of a 10 year-old~ keke
I planned to make this chapter longer but I then decided to split it into 2 parts.
Comments will be loved.
Subscribe and reccommend to your friends if you liked this story so far! I promise you it's going to get more exciting!