Four

Web That I Weave

 

Kyungsoo sat in the library, sitting on an empty bench as he chewed on his nail absentmindedly. No one was allowed to talk in the library and just as well- Kyungsoo needed all the concentration he could get. To the outsider, he looked like an example student, freshfaced and staring intently into his laptop with wide eyes. If only they knew.

Stretching out his fingertips, he quickly typed into Naver “how to get revenge on your exboyfriend”. He scrolled down the mousepad as he scanned the results.

Kyungsoo himself had come up with a few on a word document already- here were his ideas so far.

 

  1. Slashing tires.

That was quickly dismissed because Jongin didn’t have a car or a scooter. He would’ve probably lost in a parking lot if he did have one. It was the first thing Kyungsoo thought of because he had seen it in an American music video, where the girl had spraypainted her exboyfriends car as well.

 

  1. Outing Jongin in front of his parents.

Kyungsoo sort of wanted Jongin to feel a lot of pain. Lots and lots of pain that he would remember his entire life. Pain that would remind Jongin to never cross Kyungsoo again. Although Kyungsoo had met Jongin’s parents multiple times, Jongin had never introduced him to them as his boyfriend, because his parents didn’t know he was gay. Jongin’s mother was half in love with Kyungsoo, swooning over the chubby cheeks, the fair skin and the startled look Kyungsoo unconsciously did. Jongin’s family was quite tall, and they used to always call him cute, especially when he smiled. Kyungsoo wondered how cute they would find him if he told them that their baby brother and son was a homo.  Would they kick Jongin out? Would they yell at him, make him go to church or gay conversion therapy? Would they disown him, make Jongin beg at their doorstep and spend the rest of his life scarred about?

Unlikely. Kyungsoo had a feeling that Jongin’s family, although never told, knew. The looks that Jongin’s mother gave him was one that was warm but knowing, and Jongin had never been shy to snuggle up to him in front of his sisters, who would always tell them. Jongin’s dad even once said Kyungsoo was like a part of the family. They seemed like they were waiting for Jongin’s confession, and waiting with open arms as well. So outing Jongin might even be a favour to him.

 

Kyungsoo sighed and leaned back in his chair, trying to imagine his perfect scenario of revenge.

It would include all their friends hating the guts out of Jongin. That was something he wanted. He wanted Baekhyun to scream at Jongin and never forgive him for the rest of the life. He wanted Sehun to leave Jongin, to see Jongin as the lying, wishy washy dickhead he was, to like Kyungsoo more than Jongin forever. He wanted everyone to be his. That was going to be really hard though. They would only do that if Jongin did something like or kill Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo shot up and grinned, typing up a new search item.

He finally had an idea.

 

“A double shot with double cream please,” Kyungsoo told the barista. He inhaled the scent of coffee, already feeling rejuvenated after a long day stuck in the college campus.

“Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo turned to see who was calling his name, tutting when he saw a gangly boy and a short one walking up to him, both yelling his name in greeting. Chanyeol was waving madly while struggling to carry his guitar bag and shoulder bag at the same time.

“Can you shut up?” Kyungsoo hissed, quickly jabbing Chanyeol’s side as they got near him. “The whole coffeeshop can hear you. You don’t have to be so ing loud.”

“Nice to see you too Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol groaned, now trying to hold his side at the same time. Chen danced away from Kyungsoo, knowing not to get too close to Kyungsoo’s quick hands. They made their way to a booth, Kyungsoo shooting a sweet smile to the barista when he gave him his coffee.

“You’re so two faced,” Chanyeol said, and yelped when Kyungsoo slapped his hand.

“You should’ve seen him last week,” Chen commented. “He was sooo wasted. It was tragic. He kept throwing up every 10 steps, it was disgusting.”

“I’m sad I missed it,” Chanyeol frowned. “Good you made it home in one piece though. You’re lucky, Kyungsoo. You could’ve been mugged.”

‘Why, because I’m small?” snapped Kyungsoo, stirring in sugar packets.

“We didn’t take him home though- we dropped him off at Jongin’s place.”

“Jongin??? Chen, why would you-“

The conversation tapered off to Chanyeol making demanding eyes at Chen, while Chen rolled his own, making a gesture like he didn’t know. Chanyeol put his hands up angrily like he didn’t understand. Chen tsked and tried to bat Chanyeol’s hands down.

“Where were you in class, Kyungsoo?” Chen asked.  “We have performances coming up soon, you know that. Songsaengnim is going to get angry at you. You weren’t in music management either.”

“I’m allowed to skip class if I want,” Kyungsoo argued.

“Yeah you are, but not this close to the performance,” Chanyeol chimed in. “You’re in a group as well as a solo, remember? You have to rehearse with your group.”

“I don’t even know who my group is,” shrugged  Kyungsoo.

“You don’t- Kyungsoo, you really need to come to class,” Chen said. “Really. Or you won’t pass this major and you have to repeat!”

Ding

Kyungsoo looked down at his phone, startled. He had forgotten he had taken it off silent. Probably Baekhyun.

 

 

From: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

Hi Kyungsoo :)! How are you feeling? Hope you recovered well. Stay warm! It’s getting coooolllddddd!!

 

Kyungsoo gaped at his phone.

Oh.

My.

God.

Jongin had texted him. Texted him. Oh wow. Kyungsoo felt a little bit too hot of a sudden, biting his lips at the smile that was threatening to spill over and his stomach had teeny tiny butterflies. Maybe they were moths.

See, this was the problem with Jongin.

No matter how much he wanted Jongin to suffer, no matter how much he wanted everyone to hate Jongin, he himself couldn’t do it.

He couldn’t do it, because he had always liked Jongin. He had never stopped liking Jongin. He was still the same person who used to look into Jongin’s brown eyes and said “I love you” over and over and over. His heart still remembered the sound of Jongin whispering it back, right in the shell of his ear, over and over and over

 

To: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

Hi, thanks for thinking of me. I’m sorry about your couch. You stay warm too.

 

Kyungsoo shook his head, trying to clear it. Jongin was so confusing. His emotions were so confusing. Jongin had hurt him so much, Jongin was someone he loved and hated and needed and wanted and

 

“What’s wrong? Is Baekhyun being annoying again?” asked Chen as Kyungsoo’s phone went off.

“No it’s not Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo muttered, opening up the message.

 

From: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

Of course I’m thinking of you :P My couch is… you’re lucky you’re you or else I would be so mad at you. I hate the cold! Makes me never want to get out of bed D: How has your day been?

 

Ohh, Kyungsoo knew what was happening. They were playing the flirting game again, just like before they went out. He could tell by the long text messages and the questions. But this time, they had so much history. Seeing sweet words from Jongin again, it felt like someone lightly a bruise. It made him happy and yet sad to know Jongin was thinking about him. Happy because this was what he wanted and it was nice to know someone you liked liked you back. Sad because you had loved him, and there was already so much and yet they had to start from scratch. Because Jongin had broken up with him.

 

“Who are you messaging? Your expression doesn’t look too good,” Chanyeol said. He had ordered a green tea frappe and had drunken half of it in one gulp.

“Just Jongin,” Kyungsoo said agitatedly.

… should he still start his plan?

“You guys talking again?” Chanyeol asked, and Kyungsoo HATED the face Chanyeol was currently pulling. Chanyeol was trying to look indifferently polite, it was such a condescending face.

“Not really,” Kyungsoo said, drinking his coffee.

 

To: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

I really am sorry about your couch. I am so embarrassed. My day has not been too great. Lots of work to do, I’m tired

 

“But you guys are texting again.” Chanyeol pointed out. “What happened when Chen left you at Jongin’s place?”

“Honestly, I don’t remember,” Kyungsoo answered. “I’m just texting him because…”

Quick thinking, Kyungsoo quick!

“…he’s telling me that finals that are performances aren’t that important. He says that the paperwork you do for it counts more and if I do that then I’ll be fine so I don’t need to go to class. I told you I didn’t need to. He says that we should hang out but the only time he has free is during some of my classes and I can get most of my stuff online, you know?”

Chanyeol and Chen stared at Kyungsoo’s outburst. Kyungsoo was afraid that they wouldn’t buy it- on one hand, Kyungsoo never spoke so much and wasn’t easily persuaded like this. Normally, Kyungsoo was the one who disapproved on skipping class. On the other, Kyungsoo normally never joked, and they knew he didn’t talk about Jongin that easily.

“So Jongin said this, and you’re going to listen to him,” Chen said flatly. It seemed like Chen had bought it. “Kyungsoo, you know how this goes. You saw how last year the kids that didn’t turn up to class aren’t in our class this year. You know how much the performance is worth. You can’t write an evaluation on nothing! You don’t get good scores on your composition if your group doesn’t know you exist, let alone rehearse with you to play it!”

“I don’t need to go to class,” Kyungsoo said, shaking his head. “I don’t care. I don’t care if I fail. If I had to pick repeating a year or having Jongin I would pick having Jongin.”

Chanyeol’s eyes narrowed. “No,” he growled. He was getting angry, Kyungsoo could tell. “Jongin is not who you think he is. Did you forget how much he broke your heart? You’re going to forgive him this easily? Come on Kyungsoo, where is your mind? You know you would die if you had to repeat a year. Don’t die for Jongin. He is not worth it.”

“I don’t want to go to class Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo snapped. “I don’t even want to leave my apartment. I don’t want to leave my bed. You should be glad I’m even here. Dealing with like this is exactly why I shouldn’t have left my room today. I thought you two were my friends! Why are you getting angry at me?”

“We’re not getting angry at you, we’re just worried about you!” Chen protested.

“I can’t please you two, and I can’t please Jongin and I’m realising I never can, can I?” Kyungsoo argued. “You tell me to do this and Jongin tells me to do that and either way you all get mad at me! I can’t please you all! You all stress me out beyond belief and why can’t you all just leave me alone?”

Kyungsoo was breathing heavily.

“Kyungsoo, where did this all come from?” Chanyeol said. “Is it Jongin? Is he telling you what to do? Kyungsoo, you don’t take like this from anyone, why are you taking from Jongin?”

“Because if I don’t, he won’t come back to me,” Kyungsoo said, getting up. “And I want him more than anything else.”

“Kyungsoo, come back, stop,” Chen said, trying to grab onto Kyungsoo’s fingers as he walked away.

 

And that was how you officially start the worry chain in friends. Big Mouth Chanyeol would tell Queen Bee Baekhyun, Kind Chen would vent to Kind Suho, Queen Bee Baekhyun would rant at Baby Sehun who would run to Whiny but Nice Tao who would tell Chinaline and his plan was already set in place. Jongin was going down down down. A new message had been waiting on his phone, and Kyungsoo texted Jongin as he walked back home.

 

From: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

:( that that your day is not going well. Don’t be embarrassed, I’m just glad you were safe. Better my couch than you lying in a gutter somewhere! Take a break and rest, hyung :) :) take a nap! You know I love those :P

 

To: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

Thanks again for that night. And maybe I will. I’m not feeling too great. Chanyeol is annoying

 

From: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

Why? Are you feeling sick??

 

Are you alright?

 

Is he annoying you in real life or in message form? Chanyeol used to spam stickers on Kakaotalk to me, I hated it

 

Drink some tea and go take a nap hyung :((

 

To: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

I think I will take a nap… I think I’m just depressed at all this workload, and my friends aren’t helping me… they just make me even more stressed. I feel like Chanyeol is laughing at me when I genuinely feel bad

 

From: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

Chanyeol needs to shut up sometimes. If you ever need someone to talk to, I’m here. I would do anything for you.

 

To: DON’T CONTACT THIS PERSON

Thanks. I think I’m going to go to sleep now. Text you later

 

FROM: KJ

Sweet dreams Kyungsoo, sleep well. Stay warm and eat well. Don’t worry about anything. I’ll text you when you wake up then :)

 

 

A/N

The “KJ” thing is supposed to be Kyungsoo changing Jongin’s contact name!

 

What do you think Kyungsoo is plotting?