It Begins

When it all Goes to Ruin [ue]

Chanyeol looked into the camera. On the preview screen, he saw himself making minor adjustments. First he straightened his tie. Then he made sure to dust roll his suit. After that, he ran his fingers through his slightly gelled hair and attempted to shape it perfectly. Once all was set, he rustled his script. On the white page black letters glared up at him. They told him that his life would never be the same. The words told him that he may never have a life afterward.

 

“Mr Park, all cameras are set up, and we’re ready.” the camera man said softly, rubbing Chanyeol’s shoulder to comfort the glum newscaster. Chanyeol stared at the pages for another moment, and then nodded. The camera man rushed behind the camera, and gave a thumbs up. Chanyeol returned it with a sad smile.

 

A bell sounded, and the red “recording” sign was on. Chanyeol took a deep breath. The set crew held their breath, and everyone waited in anticipation.

“Good even, South Korea.” he said, forcing a smile. “My name is Park Chanyeol, and this is my last broadcast.” The camera man shook his head, and urged Chanyeol to continue. He could not imagine having to report such devastating news. “As you all know, the earth is in turmoil. Many large scale natural disasters have occurred across the world, and have already annihilated many small countries. South Korea is one of the last of those left, and the whole nation as held their breath as the hours tick by. Sooner or later we will be wiped out. As of now, we still cling to hope. Maybe our country will be spared. 

 

North Korea has already been split from us and China, and has been completely covered by water.  There is not much time left, and I suggest you say good bye to your loved ones.

 

I apologize for broadcasting such news. Good bye, South Korea, and good luck.”

 

Chanyeol stood up, abrupt, and bowed low. Once he heard the familiar ding of the bell for the last time signaling that they had stopped recording, he collapsed on the table. At first, he just mulled over the end of the world. Then his shoulders started to shake, and soon enough he was in tears. The set crew walked over, and surrounded him. All of them began to hug each other, patting Chanyeol’s back, and saying their good byes.

 

When they had finished, that was when Chanyeol’s cellphone rang. He fished it out of his pocket and looked at the caller ID. Byun Baekhyun, his close friend, and renowned scientist. Everyone hushed as he answered.

 

“Hello?” he asked, and put the call on speaker for everyone to hear.

 

“Chanyeol,” said Baekhyun through the speaker, voice shaking. He was hysterical. On Chanyeol’s side, everyone heard the scientist break down into sobs. “Chanyeol!” he cried out.

 

“Baekhyun, hey, calm down. What’s wrong?” Chanyeol asked, calm.

 

“We… we’ve detected tremors in the ocean, and… oh Chanyeol! It’s coming right to us!”

 

“Baekhyun, we’ll be fine.” said Chanyeol, but he knew he was wrong. He knew that nothing would be ok. He knew that it was only a matter of time before they were swallowed by water. “Just please calm down.” Chanyeol looked around. The set crew was even more sorrowful looking than before. Their faces held deep frowns, and a few were crying.

 

“No we won’t, Chanyeol!”

 

Chanyeol shook his head vigorously, and took it off speaker. “Where are you?” he asked.

 

“Where I always am.”

 

“One last time, Baekhyun, I’m going to meet you in the middle. I’ll be at the same gas station in an hour.”

 

“Chanyeol… please be safe.” Baekhyun said, and then hung up. Chanyeol looked around the recording room. On the opposite wall was the all too familiar wooden door. Next to the top left corner was the light up “recording” sign. Directly in front of him was the three cameras he had seen so many times. Around him was the set crew he had grown to love over the few years he had been there. Under his hand was the desk that he had sat behind every single day. On top of the glass was the single sheet of paper that announced the end of his life.

 

He sighed. He checked his watch, and moved from behind the desk to the door. Before he left, he remembered to say good bye to the people who had played huge rolls in his recent life. Then, as he was walking past, he took the middle camera, the one he looked into the most, the chords, a few packs of batteries, and then shut the door behind him.

 

An hour later, Chanyeol arrived at the gas station. He turned off the car, and sat for a minute. He did not think in this span of time. No, he listened to the wind howling outside his car. He listened to his quick breathing. He listened to the sound of trash flying through the air and hitting his car. Never again would he hear such sounds. He heard sound of someone tapping on the passenger window. He glanced over, and saw Baekhyun standing there, puffy eyed, and shaking.

 

Chanyeol unlocked the car, and motioned for his friend to get in. He heard the familiar creak of the rusty car door, and the distinctive sniffle from Baekhyun. Looking over, he felt his chest tighten. Seeing his best friend in such a state was heart wrenching. He hated it ever since they had met in high school. Baekhyun constantly cried, and Chanyeol was always there for him. So this time, the last time, Chanyeol was there.

 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol called out softly, gripping his friend’s hand tightly. Baekhyun looked up, and when he saw Chanyeol’s face, he began to break out in sobs again. “Hush,” Chanyeol gently rubbed his friend’s back, and patted it.

 

Once he was calm, Baekhyun gripped Chanyeol’s hand tight. “I don’t want to die…” he said. “I don’t want the world to end. I don’t want to leave. Chanyeol what do I do?”

 

“Baekhyun, I’m here, and we can get through this together, ok? Please don’t cry.” he whispered, bringing his shaking friend close. Suddenly Baekhyun’s phone buzzed. Wiping his nose, he took it from his pocket and checked the text. It was from his lab partner.

 

It’s coming.