Chapter 1

It's A Matter of Realizing It First-Hand

"I like you, Park Chanyeol-ssi. Please go out with me!"

 

Chanyeol didn’t know how to respond even though this wasn’t the first time some unfortunate girl (in his opinion) confessed to him.

 

Well, no matter how many times it happens turning down a confession is still an unpleasant thing to do so he absolutely hates doing it over and over again.

 

"I’m sorry but you already know my answer, right?" he answered. "I can’t accept your feelings, I sincerely apologize," he said with a bow.

 

Another case of a heart being broken by Park Chanyeol.

 

~¤~

 

"You rejected another girl again? Man, you’re so cold-hearted hyung!" This from Jongin.

 

Chanyeol shrugged off Jongin’s arm around his shoulders before doing a headlock on the latter. “Shut up, Jongin. If I had time for a girlfriend I’d rather spend that time practicing or sleeping.”

 

"But why not, say, get to know her first? Chicks are sensitive!" Sehun.

 

"Baekhyun-hyung! Tell off Chanyeol-hyung here!" Tao called out to Baekhyun who was busy doing something or other on his laptop.

 

Baekhyun grinned. “Much obliged.” Turning a little so that he’s facing Chanyeol’s direction, Baekhyun called his name in all seriousness.

 

Seeing the mischievous glint in Baekhyun’s eyes, Chanyeol answered warily. “What is it?”

 

"You’re despicable," Baekhyun said, but the seriousness turned to laughter in seconds.

 

"Ya!" Running to where Baekhyun was sprawled on the living room, Chanyeol put his hands on the other’s sides to tickle the hell out of Baekhyun.

 

What happened next was a tickle fight which later progressed to a tustle over the carpeted floor—- actions which induced the rest of their band members to make gagging motions.

 

"Now, now, stop it you two," Luhan said, trying to shove the both of them apart. "You’re messing up the carpets."

 

Jongdae was looking at his nails absent-mindedly before he distractedly commented, “But it’s okay right? Because if Chanyeol tells them the real reason, won’t there be trouble for you as well?”

 

The two stopped their tumbling puppies act before Baekhyun asked, in all innocence, “His real reason? What is it?”

 

Jongdae’s eyebrows rose before pinning the two with a look that screams ‘duh’.

 

"Really, Baek? But aren’t you two da—-"

 

Fist met head as Yifan knocked on Jongdae’s head with his massive hand.

 

He was about to turn to Suho to complain about Yifan’s bullying when the former beat him to it with a stare that’s all but shouting ‘shut up’.

 

Jongdae scratched his head before looking back at Chanyeol and Baekhyun. “Ah, I’m sorry. Forget I said anything.”

 

~¤~

 

Just after practice was over, Jongdae went out with Junmyeon and Luhan for some much needed cup of coffee. All covered up, they were sitting in the corner table of their favorite cafe.

 

“Well, I doubt they even realize their own feelings, let alone each others’,” Luhan remarked as he sipped his taro milk tea.

 

Surprised at Luhan’s statement, Jongdae choked a little on his drink, prompting Junmyeon to pat him on the back. After a few moments of coughing, Jongdae continued, “Seriously? I thought they were dating and Baekhyun was just jealous!”

 

"That’s why I was looking at you to shut you up," Junmyeon remaked acidly.

 

"But why?" Jongdae wondered. "Shouldn’t we help them? No, wait, is team bromance prohibited now?"

 

"No, but it’s not our business, not our place to say anything," Suho replied.

 

"Let’s just keep an eye out for them for the meantime, okay?" said Luhan.

 

~¤~

 

Meanwhile, the three maknaes were left at the practice room, long limbs spread after they finished practicing a new routine for which they decided to stay later than their hyungs.

 

The silence was short-lived as Sehun flapped his limbs wildly before exclaiming, “Waaaaahhh!!! Chanyeol-hyung and Baekhyun-hyung are damn frustrating.”

 

Jongin waved it off. “Just let it go, Sehun. It’s bugging you ‘cause your paying attention to it.”

 

Zitao laughed. “Not everyone can be as indifferent as you, Jongin. Still, i just wish they’d hurry and sort things out between them.”

 

~¤~

 

"Junmyeon-hyung!" Baekhyun called out, dragging Chanyeol behind him. "Practice is over right? And no activities for 2 days except self-practice?"

 

Junmyeon nodded. “Yeah. Why? Plans?”

 

Baekhyun gave a thumbs-up sign. “Yep! I’m staying over at Chanyeol’s place tonight and tomorrow evening to practice our composition!”

 

All heads in the practice room turned to look at their direction.

 

"Baekhyun, you idiot! Don’t tell—-!"

 

"Ya, Park Chanyeol, you sly dog!" Jongdae teased. "You gonna jump him?"

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. “What an obvious attempt at seduction.”

 

Yixing nodded his head. “Anyone could see that you only have matters of the flesh in mind.”

 

Chanyeol looked at Yixing like a wounded animal. “Hyung! How could you?!” Crossing his arms over his chest, he continued, “And just so we’re clear it was Baekhyun who suggested he stay over, not me!”

 

"EH?!"

 

Patting Baekhyun’s shoulder, Xiumin hesitantly asked, “Are you sure about this Baekhyun? Shouldn’t you value yourself a little bit more?”

 

"It’s okay!" Baekhyun replied brightly. "I’m used to sleepovers!"

 

Xiumin was about to correct the misconception when Yifan poked his head past the practice room door.

 

"Hurry up guys, they’re locking up."

 

"OK!"

 

"Coming!"

 

They were exiting the company building when Luhan turned back to grin at Chanyeol. “No matter how handsome you are you must always ask permission before you jump someone, okay?”

 

~¤~

 

"Well, looks like they made a little progress," Junmyeon commented to Yifan as they were walking towards their dormitory entrance.

 

"Or Chanyeol must have realized his feelings," Yifan replied.

 

"It may not be a good idea to spend time together if that’s so but… they’ll have Chanyeol’s parents with them so it’ll probably be okay."

 

~¤~

 

"Pardon the intrusion!" Baekhyun greeted loudly as they opened the door to Chanyeol’s house.

 

Chanyeol laughed. “I told you my parents are out, and noona’s on vacation so who’re you talking to?”

 

Baekhyun blushed. “Hey! It’s a habit okay?”

 

As they entered the Chanyeol’s room, he said, “Make yourself comfortable while I get us drinks.”

 

After Chanyeol left….

 

Waaah, why am I so nervous? This wasn’t the first time I stayed over at Chanyeol’s place…. is it because his parents are out?

 

Baekhyun suddenly came to the realization that he was ALL ALONE WITH PARK CHANYEOL.

 

He almost jumped out of his skin when hands suddenly touched his back. “Hey, you okay? What are you spacing out for?”

 

"I was just, uhm, wondering where to sit?" Baekhyun tried to cover up his embarassment with a lie.

 

Chanyeol’s eyebrows raised in question. “If we’re gonna watch some movies first shouldn’t the front of the TV be the best place?”

 

As time passed, Baekhyun grew increasingly nervous, fidgeting and not relaxing Chanyeol was prompted to ask, “You okay?”

 

"Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?" Baekhyun’s smile was forced.

 

"Did what they guys say earlier freak you out? Don’t worry, I wouldn’t do that or anything like it because I haven’t even confessed that I like you yet?" Chanyeol mumbled the last part.

 

But Baekhyun still heard it loud and clear.

 

SILENCE.

 

"HUH? YOU LIKE ME TOO?!"

 

In their haste to deny their feelings, the truest words unexpectedly came out.

 

"WHAT?! I COULD ASK YOU THE SAME THING!"

 

"BUT—-!"

 

"Are you saying you don’t like me then?"

 

"No, but—!"

 

"I like you, so much I realized our stupid maknaes use it as cannon fodder every time they make fun of me. It may be one of the most unconventional ways to realize I liked you for a long time already but I did." Chanyeol took a deep breath before asking Baekhyun, meeting him eye to eye. "Now, how about you?"

 

A few minutes of silence before Baekhyun replied. “I don’t really get what it means to like someone, but whenever I see you scrunching your brows in concentration I think it’s cute. I don’t like it when you’re sad or angry, and I can’t stand thinkinf of you dating someone else. That must mean I like you, huh?”

 

Unable to control his feelings, Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun to a hug. “At least we realized we were in love with the very person just in front of us.”

 

~¤~

 

Three days after, Junmyeon and Yifan received frantic texts from their manager.

 

"Looks like he found out about Chanyeol and Baekhyun."

 

"Yeah, since he’s having this mild panic attack."

 

A voice behind them chimed in. “We should probably tell him it won’t be a problem with the team.”

 

"Oh, Jongdae," Yifan nodded in his direction.

 

"They don’t seem that different though they started dating," Jongdae thought out loud.

 

Suho looked up from where he was texting their manager. “Well, of course, since they were already active lovey-dovey even before they started going out!”

 

EH?!

 

~¤~