One.

A Rush of Blood To the Head

Waves crashed against the rocky shore relentlessly. Cool, foamy most sprays gently in her already damp face. 

 
She had always loves the sea, but in the past couple months, she'd grown to despise it completely. But then, in another way, she was just like the sea. Forever trying to grasp onto something that she knew she'd never have no matter how hard she tried. Eternally being controlled by a focus she'd never be able to touch. 
 
Yes, just like the sea was always brushing itself against the sandy shore or being utterly dictated by the creamy white moon shining down into its darkness, she was subject to both. She had become prone to spending so many days being both within and without. 
 
To her right lie a small pile of ashes. 
 
He'd ask her to bring him to the ocean when he passed, and now it was the least she could do for the person that kept her grounded to the earth. 
 
He was her gravity and she was his. 
 
Sighing, she looked up at the dark sky and began to think. The one person she absolutely wasn't supposed to get close to but couldn't help it had faded away from her so quickly. She had grown to not being able to breath unless he was there, and now she would forever be suffocating. 
 
He had grown in her like a bad habit, only, she loved it.
 
 
          *          *          *          *          *
 
 
"Chaerin! Why won't you play a simple game with me?" 
 
"For a boy with cancer, you sure are whiney. But fine, what game do you possible want to play Ji Yong." Chaerin briskly stood from her chair only to sit back down on the hospital bed moments later. 
 
Smiling devilishly, Ji Yong reached under his bed and pulled out a large box of Pockey. 
 
"Let's play this." 
 
"Hell no. Are you serious? What is wrong with you? I think that tumor is affecting your judgment." Grabbing the box, she started for the garbage. 
 
"Wait Chaerin! Please?" Lee Chaerin knew where he was going with this, "Do it for the boy with a huge tumor lodged in his head. I don't know how long I'll have left."
 
Chaerin had seen this before. 
 
Many times.
 
Kwon Ji Yong would play the 'kid with cancer' card any time Chaerin refused to do something with him. He knew that Chaerin couldn't resist the puppy dog eyes that practically ripped at your heartstrings, so he learned to use it to his advantage. 
 
Breathing out in an annoyed manner, Chaerin opened the box. Pulling out one of the pink sticks between her fingers, she sat back down on the bed. Gently she placed the artificially flavored candy in , Chaerin waited for him to begin. Soon, crunching noise started to fill the silence of the room and she knew that it took him exactly five bites for his lips to meet hers.
 
Chaerin opened her eyes when he stopped at only four and found his vibrant, chocolatey almond eyes looking directly into her boring, plain dirt brown ones. 
 
"Stop that." Averting her attention and eyes back to the boy, she found his expression was stern. 
 
"Stop what?" Chaerin blinked, then proceeded to move her face away from his. 
 
"Quit hating your eyes. They're not ugly. And I love them." Ji Yong put his pale, boney hand on her chin to pull it into a kiss. And how he knew what she was thinking, Chaerin didn't even know. He strangely started doing that a week after they met. She really wondered if he could read minds.
 
Well, just her mind. 
 
 
          *          *          *          *          *
 
 
"Ji Yong, you really actually liked my eyes?" Chaerin wiped a tear away and started blowing away the ashes. As the pile dwindled, she took a heart shaped locket out of her pocket and scooped with the last little bit. Snapping it shut, she carefully placed it around her neck so that it hung just over her heart. 
 
Finally getting up, Chaerin walked back to where she had left her car. 
 
Lee Chaerin had driven all the way to Maine from Minnesota. And even though she hates traveling, for Ji Yong, it was worth it. 
 
Before opening the door to her Pruis, Chaerin took one last look at the dark ocean. From where she was standing, it looked completely empty and lifeless, much like herself now. 
 
When in car, Chaerin grabbed her bag from the backseat and pulled out a disk with messy writing on it. She popped it, started the car, and drove towards the forest. As the song 'The Scientist' began to play, Chaerin tried not to let anymore tears spill. 
 
"No body said it was easy." The song said. 
 
Her life wasn't easy, or at least it wasn't when she had left. And she hadn't been back in years. 
 
 
Chaerin left behind her family, friends, and more importantly, her fiancé.