Yellow

Dream in Colours

A few hours later, Baekhyun sits by himself in his loft, gazing out the window to look at the twinkling stars outside. The beautiful glow of the night sky made Baekhyun even more angry at the predicament he’s currently facing. All his life, he’s never worried about finding his soul mate, his advice to others always laid back and simple. He cannot count the amount of times he’s told Sehun to take it easy and just wait because his soul mate will come when he’s ready. The heavens must enjoy Baekhyun’s pain however, as more and more anxiety and panic well up inside his chest. It’s almost impossible for him to pinpoint exactly how he’s currently feeling, too many emotions swirling around inside of him like a raging storm that has built up over time. A part of him desperately wants to tell someone, ANYONE, to let off some of the pressure he has but a part wants to hold it back. It’s completely irrational he knows but it’s something so PERSONAL, he finds it hard to let it go. Eventually, after many more hours of worrying, anguish and confusing, Baekhyun falls into a fitful sleep.

His alarm clock rings noisily beside his head and Baekhyun groans, rolling over to turn it off. He lies in the warmth of the sunlight before memories from the previous day come flooding back to him. Sitting straight up in his bed, he ignores the head rush he gets as he stumbles towards his bathroom, looking in the mirror. His eye bags are extremely prominent, against his pale skin and his hair is a mess. His eyes, however, fly to his neck where the branches of his tattoo expand out. They’re still intricate, still the same and still…violet. Out of anger, Baekhyun slams his fist against the top of his sink, his toiletries rattling but staying upright. Who wants to kill his soul mate?

 

--

 

Baekhyun enters The Rooster House with his eyes downcast and a thick scarf wrapped around his neck. He glances up only when he reaches the counter and he sees Kyungsoo’s face, eyebrow quirked at him.

“Good morning Baekhyun-ssi,” he greets, holding back any other comments he may have had after seeing Baekhyun’s current state.

“Morning,” Baekhyun mumbles, his face half buried in his scarf. “May I have a green tea latte-“

“And a blueberry muffin?” Kyungsoo cuts him off. “Coming right up.”

A little taken aback, Baekhyun almost cracks a smile, his lips turning up at the corners.

“Yeah thanks.” As Kyungsoo gets his order ready, Baekhyun reaches to his back pocket to grab his wallet but Kyungsoo’s muffled voice rings out in the empty shop.

“It’s on the house!”

“Bu-“

“No if ands or buts. I know Minseok will definitely not mind and you look like you need a good breakfast to start off you day.”

Kyungsoo walks back to the counter and hands Baekhyun’s drink and muffin over. Baekhyun accepts it with a “thank you so much!” as an actual smile graces his lips. Kyungsoo looks outside the window, the sun only starting to rise.

“Hey you got a minute?” he asks, as Baekhyun takes a large sip of his hot drink.

“... I guess. The store doesn’t really open until two hours later anyways,” Baekhyun replies, fiddling with the paper bag in his hand.

“Let’s sit down on the couches. People aren’t going to start coming in here until at least half an hour later,” Kyungsoo says and his takes off his apron and hangs it on the same hook on the wall.

He makes his way to the couches and Baekhyun awkwardly follows, sitting down on the seat across from the slightly shorter male.

“What’s going on with you?” Kyungsoo asks directly, his bluntness never failing to surprise Baekhyun.

There something about Kyungsoo that is so sincere and genuine that makes Baekhyun want to tell his whole life story to him at the snap of his fingers.

Still, Baekhyun hesitates as he glances at Kyungsoo’s face, patience and understanding practically glowing from his features.

“I actually don’t know where to start,” Baekhyun confesses looking down at his cup.

“My whole life, I’ve never really cared about finding my soul mate. I mean, it’s still important to me of course but I’ve never felt pressured to find him, unlike Sehun. I’m constantly telling him to wait because his soul mate will appear at the right time.”

Baekhyun takes a deep breath before continuing.

“Time is something that I always believed in. I believe that there’s a right time for everything you know? There’s a right time for the leaves to change colour and fall off the tress, there’s a right time for snow to start falling, there’s a right time for flowers to bloom and there’s a right time for the sun to warm up the earth. I believe that there’s a right time for someone to get their tattoos and likewise I believe that there’s a right time for someone to find their soul mates as well but…I’m not so sure anymore.”

At this Kyungsoo tilts his head slightly, encouraging Baekhyun to explain to him why.

“Yesterday…I woke up like usual but when I look in the mirror,” Baekhyun looks around to make sure no one can see them. He then lifts up his scarf slightly, only enough so that Kyungsoo could get a good glimpse of the base of the tree.

Kyungsoo lets out an involuntarily gasp. Baekhyun quickly lowers his scarf, a glum expression passing over his face.

“You know why it’s violet?”

Kyungsoo stares at him in a slight daze. “I…I only thought that violet tattoos were a myth,” Kyungsoo admits, his expression unreadable. “My older brother used to tell me stories about violet tattoos just to scare me. I never actually thought that they were…real.”

“Yeah apparently the doctor thought it was a myth too…I don’t know who my soul mate is, and now they’re just going to…die?”

As more grief and despair hangs over Baekhyun like a personal cloud of gloom, Kyungsoo is out of his seat in a flash. Before he knows it, he is enveloped in a warm ambrace, sturdy arms wrapped around him. Baekhyun’s bottom lip quivers slightly, a tell tale sign that he is going to start crying soon.

“Don’t think like that yet,” Kyungsoo murmurs as Baekhyun leans into the hug instinctively. “Violet tattoos are ambiguous. You don’t know who your soul mate is or who wants to kill them but despite what you think, you may still have TIME. Instead of thinking that there’s nothing that can be done, why don’t you go and find you soul mate and whoever wants to kill them before you tattoo turns red instead?”

Baekhyun glances at Kyungsoo in disbelief. The first emotion that surfaces is anger. How could Kyungsoo make it sound like such a simple situation when someone’s life is on the line? But the anger quickly simmers down and realization dawns. Kyungsoo is 100% right. Baekhyun is having a very lovely pity part for himself, moping around and getting nothing done. He could potentially be finding his soul mate in this confusion instead of constantly having negative thoughts.

“I…yeah you’re right,” Baekhyun says plainly, unable to formulate a proper answer to Kyungsoo’s little motivational speech.

Kyungsoo gives his shoulder a comforting squeeze. “Don’t you go thinking that you’re going to do this alone either. I’m definitely going to help. I bet you Sehun will be 101% willing to help as well. I know you’re pretty close with Minseok too and knowing him, he’d be more than willing to help. My best friend is a hermit unless I force him to peave his apartment so I’m sure he’ll agree to help as well. That’s already four more heads in the game. It can be like a search party,” Kyungsoo says with a grin.

Baekhyun unknowingly grins back. “Yeah…I guess you’re right.”

 

--

 

Kyungsoo goes over to The Hanging Canvas during his break to help Baekhyun relay the news to Sehun. After getting over his initial shock, he readily agrees to help the two in any way he could. They agreed to have a meeting at Jongdae’s place (after placing a call to the home’s owner) and part ways after Sehun collects then in a group hug.

 

--

 

That Sunday, Baekhyun is a nervous mess as he makes his way to Jongdae’s place. Yixing, Luhan, Chanyeol, Zitao, and Joonmyun all know about his situation and has agreed to help. Minseok is also coming, agreeing to help without hesitation when Kyungsoo asked him. Baekhyun belatedly finds out that Joonmyun and Minseok are best friends and have been since middle school. Baekhyun feels overwhelmed, so many people agreeing to help him. Guilt gnaws at him as he approaches Jongdae’s door. A small part of him feels silly about the whole ordeal. They don’t have the slightest clue as to how they are going to find Baekhyun’s soul mate, yet they’re all so eager to help him.

When Baekhyun walks in, 11 faces greet him warmly. There’s Jongdae, Sehun (who looks extremely uncomfortable), Kyungsoo, Yixing, Yifan? “I brought him after work,” Yixing explains, Zitao, Luhan, Minseok, Chanyeol, Joonmyun and…

“Hey Baekhyun-ssi, long time no see,” Jongin says, smiling warmly at him.

“Jongin is my best friend,” Kyungsoo tells him as he joins the group. “Sehun and Jongin recognized each other when we arrived. I should’ve know he visits your shop, he’s such an art geek,” he teases and Jongin playfully punches him in the arm.

When everyone settles down, Baekhyun stands up, walking to the empty space that she left as a makeshift stage for him to stand. He clears his throat.

“Um, hi everyone. I’m not sure if all of you guys know what’s going on so I’ll briefly explain.” He pulls off his scarf to reveal his violet tattoo.

“I woke up one day and…well, my tattoo became this colour. I went to the doctor because I’ve never seen a violet tattoo before and to cut a long story short, someone wants to kill my soul mate…and I need to find them before they do.”

Silence falls over the room for a few seconds before Kyungsoo speaks up.

“We know that this may seem a little impossible but doing something versus not doing anything at all makes a big different,” he states and heads nod in agreement. “We all know Baekhyun in some way or another, let’s do this for our friend.”

Warmth spreads through Baekhyun’s body at Kyungsoo’s words. He’s only known Kyungsoo for barely two weeks and Kyungsoo’s done so much for him already. Sometimes, it puzzles Baekhyun as to why Kyungsoo doesn’t have a tattoo yet.

The rest of the night is spent looking on the internet for anyone who has a similar or matching tattoo with Baekhyun. It ends with no positive results but Baekhyun still thanks his friends with an optimistic smile as they start leaving Jongdae’s house one by one. Soon, it’s just Sehun, Jongdae, Jongin and Baekhyun left, Jongin engaging in a serious conversation with Sehun.

Jongin checks his phone for the time and stands up. “I have to get going too. I need to stop by the hospital before visitor hours are over.”

“Why are you going to the hospital?” Sehun asks curiously.

“My cousin’s wife has leukemia. She’s in her final stages and I’m really close with both of them. I just…try to cheer him up you know? He’s more of a mess than she is and she’s the one who’s…sick,” Jongin replies, tugging his coat on.

“If you want, you guys can come with me. Jieun loves meeting new people. She doesn’t really get to see new people now so I think she’d really appreciate it if you came,” Jongin says, but his eyes are only on Sehun.

Sehun ends up agreeing for both Baekhyun and himself, Jongdae staying back because he needs to finish up some work.

The hospital is a 20 minute walk from Jongdae’s house, the night wind chilly and harsh. Baekhyun could see Sehun move closer to Jongin, walking side by side until their elbows touched. Despite his own worries, Baekhyun smiles. Maybe he is too harsh on Sehun. The chemistry between the two younger boys is almost electrifying, almost as if it’s trying to prove Baekhyun’s doubts wrong.

When they reach the hospital, Baekhyun’s thankful for the heating, warmness seeping through his body to his cold fingers and toes. The two follow Jongin to the elevator, waiting for it to arrive at their floor. The hospital smells like everything’s been sterilized and really strong hand sanitizer. If a person’s olfactory senses could smell colour, Baekhyun would say that they hospital smells grey.

They crowd into the elevator with a nurse and a couple dressed in fancy suits, Jongin pressing the 7th button. They elevator ride is short but awkward, a heavy silence in the small space. The three of them are the first to get off, walking single file out of the elevator.

“Jieun’s room is right around the corner,” Jongin says, making a left.

Sehun and Baekhyun follows him into a room filled with multiple bouquets of flowers, each a different colour of the rainbow. On the bed, a petite woman lies, multiple wires and needles stuck on her body. Her inky hair is thin and wispy, evidence of countless amounts of treatment.

Sitting on a chair beside her bed is a man, his hair a rich brown shade. He’s wearing a suit a tie, a brief case leaning against his seat.

They both look up at the new visitors and the woman gives them a weak smile.

“Jongin! You bring new visitors,” she exclaims happily, waving slightly with her free hand. There are tattoos running up her arm, all a shimmering golden colour.

The man stands up and gives them a tired smile, eye bags prominent under his eyes and his cheekbones protruding. His lips are dried and cracked, it looks like he spent a long while just sitting beside Jieun’s bed.

“This is a nice surprise,” the man says, shaking Sehun’s hand before doing the same to Baekhyun. Baekhyun notices the blue ink etched onto the skin of his hands.

“My name is Jonghyun. I’m Jongin’s cousin.”

They exchange pleasantries, Sehun and Baekhyun introducing themselves to Jonghyun and Jieun.

The couple is extremely nice and humorous, cracking multiple jokes and laughing with each other. They ask Baekhyun and Sehun questions and in turn they tell the pair about how they met, relaying out all the details with mischievous grins. Baekhyun’s not sure if his eyes are playing tricks one him but when Jongin and Sehun interact with each other, Jieun makes eye contact with his, glances at the other two before winking.

Eventually the nurse comes by and tells them that visitor hours are over, ushering the four men out of the room, not before they all bid farewell to Jieun, who looks disappointed that they cannot stay longer.

Jonghyun bends down and kisses her on the forehead. “See you tomorrow sunshine,” he whispers before heading out of the room.

The four of them engage in small talk as they head down the elevator to the first floor. Jonghyun actually works in a building apparently not too far from where Joonmyun works according to Sehun. He is a successful business man who used to travel a lot before Jieun got sick.

They walk towards the exit, passing the emergency waiting room. Just then, the news channel playing on the television in the room switches to a new developing story.

“Breaking news on a murder scene found half an hour ago in the Midland and Lawrence area. A young woman was found with a single stab wound to the heart in the parking lot of a grocery store. This is the first murder in Toronto in almost 26 years. Family members and friends are flooded with grief at the sudden heinous crime. Her fiancé, Jackson, was in a panic as he delivers some startling news to our reporters.”

The scene cuts to a young man, eyes red and puff as if he cried for 10 hours straight.

“A-A few days before…Youngji was…ki- before today, m-my tattoos turned violet. I-I thought it was nothing but now…Youngji…” he breaks into a sob as the screen pans back to the newscaster in the newsroom.

Baekhyun’s blood runs cold. Someone’s killing the soul mates of people with violet tattoos. 

 

a/n jackji! I couldn't resist. And random fact of the day, Jongin and Jonghyun's fathers are brothers, hence the same last name. thanks for reading, we're sorta close to the halfway point! again, subscribing, commenting and upvoting will make me super happy :)) see you in the next chapter!