Chapter 1

Should Have Been

Luhan's POV

 

The sun is up in the cloudless sky.Today's warm weather matches my mood really well. I am happy. Why wouldnt I be? Today I am meeting the woman I consider the most important in my life, next to my mother. Her name is Sandara Park but almost everyone calls her Dara. I, on the other hand call her Tokkie, my beautiful bunny.We agreed to meet in this quaint cafe to catch up on things. It hasnt been long since I last saw her but I miss her already. She's a little late but Im not surprised considering the big event that is coming our way. She must be very busy as I am busy as well.

 

From the corner of my eye, I saw a taxi park in front of the cafe and from there alight my beautiful goddess. Suddenly it felt like everything went still, even my breathing seemed to halt. Yes, she is a goddess indeed. She is wearing a flowery summer sleeveless dress matching the weather. Her long brown golden hair cascading her slim shoulders seemed brighter against the sun. She walked with a steady step towards the cafe's entrance. People at the cafe couldnt help but look at her mesmerizing beauty. I raised my hand to catch her attention and when she finally noticed, she flashed a big grin and walked faster towards my direction. The whole cafe seemed to have gotten brighter.

 

I stood up to meet her only to be taken aback as her petite arms curled around my waist for a tight hug. I hugged her back.

“Hey, Tokkie, Miss me so much?.,” I said still holding her in my arms. Her hair smells heavenly as I gave her a peck.

“Yes, I missed you so much Lu.,.,How come you dont seem to feel the same way about me?” she broke the embrace and looked up to me pouting.,,

“Why would I miss you? I mean you call me almost every night.,.,” I said half jokingly.,.She gave me a light smack in the arms.,.,

“ Youre really bad, you know.,.But I'm hungry.,.,let's order.,we have a long day ahead.,” she said grinning again as we sit opposite each other.

Yeah, I almost forgot. We met today not just to catch up on things but prepare for the big event.

“I'll order for both us,..” she said calling the waiter before I could even protest.,.

“One iced americano, one caramel macchiato, and two cheesecakes please..” She looked at me and asked.,,”Did I get that right?.,.,”

“You sure still havent forgotten my favorite.,.,” I said

“Of course, How could I, remember when we were in high school, you always loved buying cheesecake in the cafeteria.,.and even now, when I meet you in places like this, its gotta be a cheesecake.,”

This girl just knows me too well.,.,

“Are you excited?.,.,” I asked her as my eyes settled on the ring nestled on her finger. The same fingers that I held entertwined in mine since we were middle school kids...I could still vividly remember how they felt held enclosed in my own hands. Small, soft and warm, her touch were very comforting.

“Of course, Lu.,.,Im so excited!.,.,I cant wait for the day to come.,.,I know it would be the best day of my entire life..” she said, her eyes almost twinkling.,.,

“It guess it would be mine too, seeing you dressed in a bridal gown, I know you would be the most beautiful..”

“I couldnt wait to be part of your family, calling your parents as Mom and Dad.,.,”

I can almost imagine it. I would be nervously standing at the altar, waiting for her. Then the wedding march will start and the guests will stand up signalling the arrival of Dara. She would walk slowly towards me holding a bouquet of roses, we would say our vows and of course, the most anticipated kiss..

I was taken back to reality when Dara waved her hand in front of me..

“Hey, Lu?.,.,are you daydreaming?.,.,Someone's calling you.,.,” she pointed towards my phone.,.

It was my brothe Kris calling.,.

Kris: hey, Luhan, .,.,its today isnt it?.,.,

Luhan: Neh, but dont worry hyung.,.,I'll be fine there.,.,but Im actually with Dara right now.,.,we will come and see you in a bit in the jewelry shop.,.

My brother became silent for a moment before finding his voice again.

Kris: Hey, do you really have to.,.

My brother's voice seemed strained.

Luhan: You know I have too.,.

I quickly ended the call before he could protest.,.But I know he would understand.

“Was that your grumpy brother?.,.,” she said as she took the last spoon of her cheesecake..,

“Indeed,.,we better go Tokkie,.,we have to pick the rings today.,.,”

“Oh yeah, I almost forgot.,..” she quickly took a swig of her americano and stood up.,,I followed her outside towards my waiting car after paying the bill.,.,

She sat next to me in the driver's seat.,.

We are well on our way when I started talking about something that happened a few months ago,.,.something I partly regretted ever saying.,.,partly.,.,

“Hey, Tokkie, about what happened last time.,.,” I tried to open up again that incident that had happened a few months back but she cut me short.,.,

“Let's not talk about that Lu.,.Please, Im trying to forget already.,.I knew you were drunk that time, you were not thinking straight and I forgive you..,”

“But I just wanna say that I---,”

“Luhan, dont make it harder for both of us, please.,.” she looked more sad than angry.,.,

“Okay, Im sorry if I upset you.,.I wont talk about it again ever.,.,” I heaved a sigh.,I wanted to tell her I was being honest that time..,Christ!.,.,Im starting to ruin this seemingly perfect day.,.,

 

Flashback

 

I dont know what came into me that night. Maybe I just had too much booze because instead f heading straight to my condo and sleep till the late afternoon the next day, I found myself in front of her apartment ringing the doorbell.

She was shocked to see me there and the state that Im in. She led me towards her couch and made me lie down.,.she started ing my coat to help me feel better somehow,but I held her arms and pulled her closer to me.,.,she tried pushing me away but I only held her tighter.,.,

“Hey Lu, what are you doing!.,.,I cant breath.,.,”

“Why did you do it Dara, I thought I was enough,..how could you.,.You know I love you.,.” and I actually ended up sobbing like a three year old kid.,.,

She stopped trying to pull away and went completely still.,.,She just lay there on my chest, listening to my confession.,.,

“Im so sorry, Luhan.,,im so sorry.,for doing this to us...for hurting you..,”

She doesnt need to be sorry though because its not her fault.,.,I was the coward.,.,I was the one to blame.,.

 

End of Flashback

 

We finally reached the jewelry shop and parked in front of the store after enduring the rest of the trip in silence.,.I saw my brother Kris already waiting in front of the jewelry shop.,.

She was about to open the door and walk out of the car but I stopped her.,.,She gave me a questioning look.,.,

 

“I just want you to know that Im really happy for you.,.,and no matter what, I'll always treasure you..,”

Her eyes were pricked with tears and pulled me into a hug.,.,

 

“Thank you, Luhan.,.,I love you.,,.”

“I love you too.,.,”

 

I know she meant she loves me as a friend....

 

 

but I love her as a woman.,.,

 

My bestfriend whom I secretly loved for many years is finally becoming a real part of my family. Just not in the way I wanted it to be.,.She's marrying my older brother and I will end up calling her sister in-law.,.,

 

I should have told her then, honestly without hesitations how I feel about her.,.but I knew that even after I have told her my feelings for her were more than about us being friends, she would never reciprocate in the way I wanted her too. She just might even our friendship. And either way, I'll tell her or not, I know I will have regrets.

I let her leave the car first and saw her greet my brother with a kiss.,.,Its been two years since theyve been together but it still hurts like hell.,.,

They enter the jewelry shop together after Dara motioned for me to get out of the car and follow them inside.,.,I was the best man and I should supposedly keep the rings until the wedding.

That's what she thought, but maybe its time for me to let go of her. She has found the man of her dreams and I ve been torturing myself enough.,..

I opened the car shelf and pulled out my passport and plane ticket.,,and drove away towards the airport.,.,

I saw Dara ran out of the shop and tried running after the car but my brother stopped her.,.,I wiped my eyes blurry with tears.,.,

“Goodbye Dara,.,.goodbye forever.,.”

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                 THE END