|| PART FOUR ||

Scintilla

Korea Weekly

New model, Kwon Yuri, graces the cover of Harper's Bazaar's recently released magazine. Her whole look emanates the glow of youth with a hint of spunk. The clothes fit her perfectly and, thanks to her, those pieces have been flying off the racks and are close to going out of stock! With her face plastered on every known magazine out there, people wonder where her career will take her next.

Find out in the next issue of Korea Weekly!

Luhan sighed and pushed the article back, burying himself deeper into his chair. He was so proud of her for finding her true calling and pursuing a passion inspired by the late Hei Jin. Her death was something hard for Yuri to overcome and she could barely haul herself out of bed for a little more than a week. However, he has always been by her side, supporting her and bringing her back to her feet.

But now, everything has taken a turn for the worst.

Their relationship was unknown- a some relationship. They were definitely more than friends, but not one of them announced if they were girlfriend or boyfriend. Nonetheless, they spent most of their days together and kisses were rare. 

Then, Yuri became whipped up into the fashion world where she was busy almost 24/7. Photo-shoot after photo-shoot, interview after interview, and an endless list of show appearances. At least it took her mind off of Hei Jin- and Luhan. 

The calls stopped and the texts were non-existent. He saw her almost every day in the news or on TV, but she didn't see him at all. One month passed and he didn't get to feel her touch or hear her voice. It was pure torture and he wondered if she even cared at all.

There has also been another problem.

The more and more her pictures came out, the more he noticed the beautiful light in her eyes fade away. The twinkle that her eyes held was starting to disappear, leaving her face looking lifeless and dark. He didn't like the way she looked anymore- not on the outside but on the inside. 

Stuck behind his desk for yet another lonely day, Luhan ran a hand down his tired face, editing yet another model's cover. They might be beautiful, but they were nothing compared to his Yuri. He missed her so damn much that it even hurt to think about her.

Finally, it was the time of day where he was allowed to go home to continue his loneliness- alone. While exiting the building with his messenger bag over his shoulder and his phone in hand, he suddenly found himself frozen when he heard his voice being called by a sickly sweet voice.

"Luhan? Luhan!" The sound of footsteps resonated behind him and he didn't have the courage to face her. "Is that really you?" 

He turned around and was not ready for the sight in front of him. Yuri seemed so much skinnier than the last time he saw her. Her cheeks were sunken in and there was a hint of dark circles under her eyes. He wanted to reach out and grab her, but remembered all those times where she left him.

"Hey, I missed you," She gave a small smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. 

"Yeah, me too," He sighed and gave her the smallest of smiles. 

It was so awkward between them. They haven't seen each other in so long and they just wanted to jump into each other's arms, but that seemed... Weird. It was like they became strangers again, but were different people at the same time. His eyes raked over her body; dressed in nothing but expensive articles. Somehow, it disgusted him how much the industry changed her.

"I guess I'll go-"

"W-Wait! I-I was thinking that we could hang-" He silenced her by raising his hand, feeling a tinge of anger in him,

"Wasn't that the only thing I asked you a few weeks back? But what did you do? You keep ignoring me to the point where i thought you didn't want me anymore," He started to fume. "You left me hanging on so many occasions that I have given up completely!" He ran his hands through his hair.

"You... You gave up on-" Tears started to rim her eyes and it took all his energy not to crumble at her feet and apologize for bursting. 

"Us," Was all he needed to say to finally make her break. He saw whatever last inkling of happiness in her eyes disappear. Something inside her broke and he watched it all shatter. He couldn't take it anymore and simply walked away, leaving her alone for once.

So much regret filled him and he had to fight the urge to not turn around and watch the tears stream down her face. He also felt something inside him break and shatter, but ignored the pain and continued to walk. The last thing he heard was her heartbreaking sob. He also picked up on her broken whisper pleading him to come back.

But he didn't. How could he when she hurt him so much?

Luhan wandered aimlessly throughout the streets, trying to go home with a heavy heart. He hated himself so much for making her cry, but there was this small voice in his mind that told him that it was the right thing to do. He somehow ended up in front of his place and quickly entered, letting himself fall on his bed. 

His scintilla, his one and only soul mate was gone and he was at fault. But could it possibly be his entire fault? Surely, she should be to blame, too, but there was something in him that preventing him from thinking that. With everything that has been going on, he decided to just sleep it all off and save himself from the migraine. 

The next day came faster than he would've liked, but he couldn't just stay in bed all day- even if he really did want to. He got up and got ready before he was late to work. 

Rushing through the building, he got to his office before his boss could notice. He sighed and quickly got to work, editing and adding things to multiple magazine covers that he needed to finish for the day. It only took him a maximum of 6 hours to complete his work before he was off for lunch. 

As usual, he stayed in his office, surfing the web. He was trying hard not to search her up to see how she was doing, but it was hard since he did still care for her. Maybe just a little peek wouldn't hurt. Like lightning, his fingers raced across his keyboard and her name was the first thing that popped up, but it wasn't what he wanted to see.

Kwon Yuri is missing?

Without even thinking, he clicked on the link and cursed his computer for being too slow. Finally, the article came out and he read it just as fast as he found it, but re-read it again to make sure that his eyes weren't tricking him.

Kwon Yuri is missing?

The dominatrix taking the fashion world by storm, Kwon Yuri, has been reported missing hours after she did not show up for her early photo-shoot for 'Vogue Girl Magazine'. No one has a clue where she has been and no one can contact her which sent her adoring fans worrying about her. Where are you, Yuri?

Luhan's heart started beating at an irregular and fast pace as he felt his chest constrict. He could not believe it, not a single word typed. She could not be gone, could she? It hurt so much to know that she might be gone for good, but he couldn't bring himself to believe it. He needed to find her, he needed her back this instant.

He did everything he could. Luhan whipped out his phone and dialled her number, but it went straight to voicemail. He called many more times, but received the same answer. Frustrated, he grabbed his coat and dashed out, ignoring the different shouts from his co-workers.

"Hey. Hey, Luhan!" A loud and deep tone called out and he spun around, watching his boss running after him. "Where do you think you're going? You still have work to do!" He shouted.

"I can't," Luhan shook his head. "I need to go! This is urgent!"

"You know what else is urgent? That 'Vogue Italia' magazine cover we need done! Everyone else is too busy and you're the only one who can finish it. I'll raise your pay!" His boss shouted, but all Luhan could do was shake his head.

"I said I can't and I don't care for your money," He was about to spin around when his boss tried arguing back.

"I'll... I'll fire you! I'll even tarnish your name so you won't have anywhere else to work!" The man threatened, but it didn't scare Luhan- well, not at the moment at least.

"Then I'll quit." Luhan spat and ran in a direction he knew too well.

His feet moved like lightning and touched the ground like it was nothing but lava. The job didn't matter to him, only she did. Whether he liked it or not, she was the only person he cared for.

Soon enough, he was at her front door- well, where he thought she still lived. He felt like there was no longer a need to knock considering the fact that this was an emergency and he would have to deal with the consequences later on. 

Like last time, he busted the door down right off its hinges and a whimper was immediately heard. He scanned through the flat and his heart almost fell when he saw the state of the place. It was so sombre and plain; all the happy pictures were taken off from the walls and no more trinkets decorated the furniture. It didn't seem cozy anymore. 

"Yuri?!" He cried out, searching high and low for her. "I know you're here!" He distinctively remembered her whimper when he broke the door down. "Please, tell me you're okay!"

From the bathroom, Luhan heard something clatter and he quickly rushed towards the sound. If the first scene made his heart drop, then the next one in the bathroom just killed him. He fell to his knees and felt his heart being twisted in all directions as he crawled to Yuri who was quietly sobbing, broken glass all around her from dropping multiple alcohol bottles.

"What did you do? Come on, let's get you-" He tried holding her, but she harshly pushed him back.

"Go away!" She cried louder, tears streaming down her face. "Just stay away..." She whispered, her tone so broken that it even cracked his heart. 

"You need to clean up," He said, remarking the small cut on her hand. She ignored him as he got up and searched through the cabinets for a first-aid kit. 

But he found something else.

"Yuri," He gulped, trying to contain his boiling anger. "What are these?" He held out orange bottles full of pills. It didn't take a genius to know what it was, the label was right there.

"What do you think?" She spat. "That's my breakfast, lunch and dinner." She chuckled, taking another sip.

"Hey, stop that!" He took the bottle away from her.

"Stop, stop, STOP!" She held her hands up to her head to block her ears. "Stop taking things away from me! I don't want to be left alone!" She sobbed heavily, looking crazy as she tried to scratch her eyes out.

"Quit it!" He held her wrist and was forced to watch her fall to pieces. "Just stop..." He choked back a sob, trying to seem strong in front of her. 

"Stop telling me what to do!" She cried, head falling forward and you could even feel the despair in her voice. He felt nothing but agony from her. "I can't take the orders anymore."

"Fine," He sighed and slowly let go of her hands which she immediately used to cover her face. "Just let me carry you." He spoke softly. 

When she didn't reply, he took it as a yes and gently picked her up, carrying her to the misplaced couch. She buried her face into the cushion and continued to cry. He didn't have the energy to move- let alone leave her like this. He caressed her arm and felt the sparks roll up his arm as she shivered.

He didn't know when, he didn't know how, but she ended up in his arms, cuddling closer to him and letting her tears stain his shirt. It didn't matter, though, as long as she was okay. He placed a soft kiss upon her forehead, the next best thing aside from her tempting lips.

One day, he'll claim them with his. 

TO BE CONTINUED...