Chapter 4

The story of how Akira Toujiro cross-dressed as a man

I wake up feeling like I hadn’t gotten even one wink of sleep. My eyes feel tired and my body feels groggy, yet my mind and my heart are eager and ready to go. Why am I so excited today?

 

Well, because today there is the practice game against Sakuraki High, and I can’t wait for it to get started. I quickly make my bento and eat my breakfast before I’m out the door. I go down the elevator and spot Daisuke leaving the building. I run up to him and walk next to him.

 

He’s just about to put his headphones in his ears when he sees me and puts them back in his pocket. “Wassup, Partner?” I say cheerfully, grinning almost from ear-to-ear.

 

“What’s got you so fired up in the morning?” He pauses for a second. “And since when am I your partner?”

 

I stretch my arms out in front of me. I’ve noticed that guys do these little kinks and it helps me blend in with the male gender a lot easier. “Well you’re the only team member that I know.” I cough into my arm, my throat feeling kind of dry. I rub it a little, hoping that my vocal chords don’t suddenly decide to change to female on me. I speak again and breathe a small sigh of relief that I can still maintain my voice. “I’m just really excited for the game today. I hope they’re strong.”

 

“Of course they’re strong, it’s Sakuraki  High we’re talking about here.” Daisuke said. “They’ve got a King on their team. Given he’s referred to as the weakest one, but still.”

 

“There’s a King?” I rush ahead of Daisuke and walk backwards in front of him. My smile seems to be permanently glued onto my face. “Now I’m really, really excited for the game!”

 

A small smile cracks on the side of Daisuke’s lips. “You’re so eager.” He looks up at me and stares for a little. I start to grow self-conscious and ask him what’s wrong. “Is that your natural hair color?”

 

I fiddle with my bangs and turn back around to walk next to Daisuke. “I dyed it as sort of a rebellion against my older brother.” I lie. Well, not really a lie, but it’s not the whole truth. I can’t exactly tell Daisuke that I dyed my hair because I wanted to experiment with my looks a little. As a guy, I think that might look a little weird.

 

“Your older brother, huh?” Daisuke says. “What’s he like?”

 

“He’s the complete opposite of me.” I laugh nervously. “He’s not exactly carefree in his life.”

 

“Yeah, my Dad’s the same way.”

 

“Dad, huh?” I say to myself.

 

We reach the school building and attend classes as usual. I get every answer right, as usual, and yawn with boredom during each of the teaching portions. I look over and see Daisuke who’s doing the same thing I am. I giggle. The teacher catches me and I have to do a question on the board.

 

I sit back in my seat and cough. I complete everything the other teachers give me and class moves on. Blah, blah, blah. So boring… all of it! The only reason why I attend school is so I can play basketball. If it was up to me, I wouldn’t even be here in the first place. I know why school is important, I get that, but it still doesn’t make it any less of a bore. I cough again.

 

The bell rings and it feels like a god-sent. It’s lunch break now, the second best part of school.I get up and head for the cafeteria. Daisuke leaves ahead of me. I lean against the wall, my head suddenly feeling fuzzy. I feel sick to my stomach and I’m cold and hot at the same time. I skip the cafeteria and head to the nurse.

 

I slide the door open to find her sitting at her desk. “What’s wrong, Toujiro-san?”

 

“I think I have a fever.” I say. She tells me to sit down on the stool in front of her. I sit in it and she takes my temperature.

 

“Oh my,You’re burning up! Go lie down, right now.” She ushers me to a bed. My head flops onto a pillow. “I’ll call your parents.”

 

I push myself up with my arms. “Don’t bother,” I say, my voice kind of raspy and my usual voice starting to come through. “I’ll just lie down for a little bit, then I’ll be fine.”

 

She seems reluctant at first, but then gives in to my request. I buckle my elbows and my head lands on the pillow. I flip it to the other side and bury my face into the cool side, making the pillow feel almost like an ice-pack.


My eyes grow heavy and I drift off to sleep.