There's a First for Everything

The story of how Akira Toujiro cross-dressed as a man

The first practice is always nerve-racking, no matter how good you are at basketball. The entire list of new recruits stand together in a line shoulder to shoulder. Our backs are completely straight and we all look like a dried up sponge. The coach walks down the line, hands clasped together behind her. We don’t know what she wants yet.

“Show me your best move.” She asks the first person in line. He nods. The guy from earlier with the spiky black hair passes him a ball. He does a simple hook shot.

 

“Neat.” She says. “Next.”

 

This goes on all the way down the line. I observe the team just like the coach does. I’ve always done it, but this time I’m starting to feel amazed by how much stronger men are than girls. Whenever I observed the girl’s team at my old school, I was kind of disappointed at the lack of potential. Here, though, the numbers just keep skyrocketing.

 

It’s my turn finally. I’m handed the ball and proceed to go to the hoop. I walk directly beneath it. Everyone’s faces look confused. I can tell instantly that they all have the same question forming in their heads. “What is she doing?”

 

I turn around and look at the hoop on the other end of the court. I lift my arms up and throw the ball. I smile at how perfect my form was. The ball soars in the air and lands in the net at the other side with a perfect swoosh.

 

The coach looks impressed. “How did you do that? You’re so tiny!” I look at the coach and realise that I’m smaller than she is in both height and muscle tone. I decide to just walk back in line and wait until further instructions.

 

The buy with spiked hair walks up to the coach and whispers in her ear. She blushes, but waits until he’s done talking to say anything about it. “Chotto, Daisuke!” She backs away and covers her ear. “Don’t just go whispering into my ear like that!” She coughs into her fist and tries to remain her composure. “I understand what you are saying, though.” The coach turns towards me. “I would like for you to practice with Daisuke. Try to break through his defenses and score. If you get one basket, you will win.”

 

I nod. Daisuke steps forward and I step in front of him. I arch my back and get ready to play. He removes his gakuran, leaving only the red shirt, and tosses it aside. My heart skips a beat as I look in awe at how cool he was just now. “So, Mr. ‘I’m good at everything,’” He his lips and my heart makes another leap forward. God ing damn, he’s kind of cool. “Let’s see what you’ve got.”

 

I smile sweetly at him the way I would if I still had my long hair. “Alright then!” HIs cheeks go slightly pink and I seize the opportunity to strike. I instantly lunge forward at lightning speed and take the ball from him. I thought that I barely gave him time to react before he’s already hot on my trail as I’m running towards the net.

 

I jump up and try to jam the ball into the net but Daisuke is directly in front of me and he blocks it with his hand. He’s got the ball now. He dribbles it easily and I rush forth. We both seem to be moving vigorously. I try to get the ball, he instantly dodges my advances. I try to dunk the ball, he blocks me. I try to throw the ball, he runs in front of me, messing up my rhythm.

 

This goes on for a while until I’m sweating and panting hard. He’s panting a little bit too and I see sweat start to form on his hairline. I look at my hands. They’re shaking! My chest is heaving, struggling for air and my legs are killing me. My heart won’t seem to stop beating hard against my ribs, but I don’t feel like quitting now. Not yet.

 

I smile, savoring the feeling in my body. I’ve hardly ever experienced this before. My opponents have all been weak and playing against them was so tiresome that I almost quit basketball. But this! Right now, I have the feeling that I might lose.

 

My smile grows even wider and I clutch at my chest, feeling my heart pound forcefully against my fingertips. My whole body tingles.

 

I instantly rush forwards again where I’m met by Daisuke, whose defense is flawless. As I’m about to move to the side of him to see if I can find a possible weakness, I trip over my own feet and stumble. I think that I’m going to fall before I gain stability again. Instantly, my eyes catch a blind spot and I rush in.

 

Daisuke is momentarily fazed by my mishap and forgets to block me. I take the ball from him and toss it into the air. The ball goes in the net perfectly, not even making a sound. A feeling deep within me stirs as I feel happy about winning. I used to get this feeling when I first started out, but as my opponents got weaker and weaker, winning became almost expected of me.

 

It didn’t help much that I had a coach who only cared about winning.

 

But, that’s a story for another day.

 

“I won!” I shout in glee. The new recruits and even the current teammates are hollering and jeering. The coach nods in approval. Daisuke regains his breath quickly. He walks up to me and studies my face carefully.

 

“Are you a girl?” He asks. The joy I had felt from winning vanishes quickly, leaving me feeling cold.

 

Fear soon replaces it.