The Roses, The Bear, & The Barber Quartet

The Roses, The Bear, & The Barber Quartet

The yelp Luhan let out when he opened his locker barely caused a second glance in the noisy, crowded hallway. Unfortunately the same could not be said when the what must have been hundreds of red roses cascaded out the open door and onto the floor around him. He stared at the red pool that had formed around his feet. His eyebrows furrowed.

"What the hell?"

He grabbed the locker door and swung it partly closed to double check the number. Yep, definitely his locker. Luhan continued to stand there, wondering what the hell he was supposed to do with all the flowers. He was so going to be late for class,when he felt someone presence next to him.

"Wow, Luhan,"  Chanyeol said, "looks like someone's planting a garden on your locker." He looked at the flowers with a grin that Luhan wanted to smack right off his face. He eyeing Chanyeol hair

"What happen with your hair?" He asked him. His hand flew up to the oddly cutted hair. "I'm trying something new. It's distinguished."

"You look like you got into a fight with your barber." Chanyeol shrugged. "It makes me look awesome."

"Uuh, okay whatever."

He reached up to pinch Chanyeol cheek but he grabbed his wrist before he could and gave him a withering look. He let go and he dropped his hand, sticking his tongue out at him before turning back to look at the botanical problem currently plaguing him.

"What am I supposed to do with all of these?" He whined. Chanyeol shrugged in response.

"I don't… why is someone giving me roses?" He saw Chanyeol give him an odd look.

"It's Valentine's Day," he said.

"Oh," he said lamely then narrowed his eyes at him, "You can barely keep track of what month it is, how on earth do you know it's Valentine's day?"

He hesitated for a brief moment, barely noticeable, before speaking. "Blame Baek. He can't stop blabbing about him and
Tae's big date tonight. It's horrifying, really. Can you imagine the two of them together? Ugh. They'll be so… efficient." Luhan laughed. "You're just jealous and you're just lost your wingman, dude." He paused for a moment as something occured to him. "." Chanyeol raised an inquiring eyebrow.

"They're going on a date tonight?" Luhan asked. He nodded.

"Baekhyun was supposed to help me study tonight. I'm never going to pass that test tomorow without his help."

"I can help." Chanyeol said a bit too quickly, garnering him another odd look. "I mean, I'm not busy tonight. We can order pizza and… study."

"I appreciate the thought, Chanyeol, but it's art history not science. Have you even been to a museum in your life?"

He looked offended. "Of course I have! I went that one time with that… one person. Remember? No, you weren't there. But it happened! There were paintings and sculptures and things. A lot of things." He waved his hand, dismissing his current line of thought. "Anyway, that's not the point. The point is I'm literally a genius. And I've spent far too much time with Baekhyun. Some of that stuff must have rubbed off on me at some point in time."

Luhan gave him a disbelieving look before relenting. "I suppose it couldn't make things worse." Chanyeol shot him a bright grin and slapped him on the a bit too hard causing him to stumble forward a step. His face started to take on an unusual pink hue. "Great! Great! I'll see you after school then, yeah? Perfect! Later, Lu!" And he was off and down the hall before he could respond. He shook his head and bent down to start picking up the flowers. Picking up all the roses and trying to fit them back into his locker. The flowers were gorgeous, really, but the sheer amount was overwhelming. People could literally swam on it. Whoever sent them clearly didn't think things through. What Luhan was supposed to do with them during school and how he was supposed to get them home? And on the other hand, there had been no card in the pile so he didn't know who had sent them.He huffed and tried to shove the thought out of his mind to focus picking out the flowers. It went fairly well for 10 minutes and suddenly the intercom buzzed. "Mr Luhan, please come down to the office". Everyone turned their heads to look at Luhan who simply rolled his eyes and wondered what he had done wrong this time. He packed up his things quietly and walked down, still aware of all the eyes on his back.He walked into the office, noticing a human-sized stuffed teddy bear holding a heart sitting in the corner. He smiled at that, he enjoyed when people got really excited about holidays and decorated. Walking up to the desk, the receptionist gave him a hard look.

"How can I help you?"

"You just asked me to come down here, Mr.Kim."

He nodded. "Right, Mr Luhan. It looks like there's been a delivery for you." he proceeded to just stare at Luhan, who looked around on the countertops for anything that might have come for him.

"Uh, I'm sorry, I don't see it. What came for me?"

"That," Mr Kim said, pointing to the corner.

Luhan turned around and groaned when he saw that Mr. Kim was pointing to the bear.

"Do you know who sent it?" Luhan asked.

"It's not my job to know, Mr. Luhan."

"Can I just leave it—"

"No."

"But if I take it out to my car, I'll be late for my next class!"

Mr. Kim gave him a hard look. "Not my problem. Maybe next time you should tell your fans or whatever it called to cool it during school hours. I don't care what you do with it, just make sure it's not here." Which was how Luhan ended up carrying a stuffed bear that was both taller and wider than him to class for the rest of the day. He would set him in the closest corner, feeling like he was being watched. Which, you know, he was if you counted all the giggling and staring from his classmates and the occassinal odd look from his teachers. But that wasn't it. It was the weird feeling of getting some pretty extravagant gifts from an anonymous benefactor. He didn't know if he felt flattered that someone liked him that much, annoyed that they clearly hadn't thought how these outrageous gifts would have to be dealt with, or worried that once he found out who it was he would likely have to let them down. There was only one person in the school that he would be interested in and he knew he didn't have eyes for him. He was funny, insanely handsome and sometimes a little brash and crazy but it was all part of his charm. He just seemed to be more interested in doing crazy stuff. He finally figured out how he felt at lunch. It might have had something to do with the barbershop quartet showing up
and singing Can You Feel The Love Tonight to him in the middle of the crowded cafeteria. Now, Luhan wasn't one to embarrass easily. He did just fine with public speaking and had given brief thought to being an actor, the fact that he couldn't act worth a had been the only thing that stopped him from pursuing it, but he
had time to prepare for those things. He knew what he would be getting into. Being serenaded in the middle of a crowd of teenagers while holding on to a giant stuffed bear was something he had not prepared for.

So now Luhan was just plain mad. He stood there through the entire song, a fake grin on his lips,before stalking out of the cafeteria, dragging that stupid bear and holing up in the art room for the remainder of the lunch hour. Luckily the remainder of the day seemed to pass without another incident. The final bell rang and Luhan heaved a sigh of relief before he grabbed up the bear, grabbed a garbage back off the janitor's cart in the hall and went to hislocker. He stuffed all the flowers in the garbage bag somewhat carefully, still slightly miffed but unwilling to purposely destroy the roses, loaded up his bag with his art history materials and made his way out to the car dragging the bear and plastic bag along behind him, relieved to be done with all of the Valentine's nonsense. Or that's what he thought.

There was something odd about his car as he approached. The sun was catching the windows in a weird way and everything inside looked… red.

Oh no.

He unlocked and opened the back door, three heart-shaped red balloons popped out and he watched as the breeze caught them and they floated off into the sky.
The entire car was full of the same balloons, pressing up against the windows, leaving no space for anything else. He let out a strangled yell and kicked his tire in frustration. Luhan pulled up to Chanyeol home just wanting to forget about the entire day. He didn't even care who has sent him the gifts anymore, he just wanted to pretend it never happened. He walked in the front door without knocking, having been there often enough over the past couple of years that no one even gave him a second look anymore. He smelled pizza and his stomach growled. Following his nose to the tv room he and Chanyeol usually hung out in, he walked through the doorway stopped in surprise. There was a little table in the middle of the darkened room, covered in a white table cloth. A pizza box sat in the middle, two lit candles on either side of it. Chanyeol sat in a chair, fiddling with his phone wearing an opened dress shirt and suit coat, revealing the band shirt he wore underneath. The cuffs were ed making the white shirt sleeves peek out under the jacket and cover the majority of his hands in an adorable way.

"What the—" Chanyeol's head snapped up when he heard Luhan voice. He grinned.

"You," he pointed at him, "are late."

"Sorry, I had a bit of an incident after school and then I had to run home and drop everything off. Some idiot not only sent me those roses you saw but also a teddy bear that was bigger than me and…" he trailed off when he saw Chanyeol grin
falter. "Chanyeol, what's going on here?"

He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck, eyes darting everywhere but refusing to look at Luhan. "Um. Yeah. That idiot would be me."

"What?" Luhan asked in disbelief.

"I, uh, I sent you the roses."

"The bear?"

"And the bear"

"The quartet and balloons?"

"Yep."

"Why?"

Chanyeol was blushing—he was actually b lushing. "Because I like you?"

Luhan's brain broke, he stood there gaping at him like an idiot for a few moments before the anger he had felt earlier that day mended the crack.

"What the heck, dude? What were you thinking?"

Chanyeol's eyes widened.

"Do you have any idea what a hassle it was to carry around that damn bear all day? Or how embarrassing it was to be
serenaded in the middle of the cafeteria at lunch?"

He shook his head.

"Seriously, what were you thinking?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "I was thinking that, well, Baeksaid roses are a classic. And, well, so are stuffed animals and balloons."

"The barbershop quartet?"

"I saw you crying during that song when you forced me to watch The Lion King last month. Did I—did I do something
wrong? Or—oh. Maybe you don't want—but.."

Luhan sighed. "Just," he interrupted him before he could try to wiggle his way out of the situation, "why didn't you just ask me? Why go so overboard?"

"Because I like you."

"So you said."

"…I like you a lot?"

Luhan shook his head and couldn't stifle the giggle. He saw relief wash over his face. "Okay, okay. Just… Chanyeol, next time? Start with something simple."

"Something simple?" He asked, approaching him.

"Simple," he nodded.

"Luhan?" Chanyeol asked.

He raised his eyebrows in response.

"You wanna go out with me?"