meet the boyfriend

just another day in paradise

“Are you cold, Sehun?” Chanyeol asks for the millionth time.

Despite it being late March, winter had decided it wasn’t quite finished with them yet, and the wind was being particularly punishing today. However, Chanyeol always made it a point to have Sehun engage in some sort of physical activity every day, besides school, and so together they’d decided to walk to the little café instead of drive there.

“No,” Sehun answers, voice slightly muffled beneath the thick, woolen sweater wrapped multiple times around his face, with only the tip of his nose still visible beneath it. Coupled with the puffy jacket and little mittens (“Little mittens!” Chanyeol had marveled, presenting them to Sehun with glee, “They’re so cute!”), it was hard to imagine Sehun as anything but sweltering. However, Chanyeol had always been the mildly overprotective type of dad, hence the constant worry.

“Okay. Just making sure.” Chanyeol checks the time on his watch; they’re a little bit early, but knowing Kyungsoo, they’re going to be the last ones to arrive. “Have you decided what kind of hot chocolate you’re going to order yet?”

Chanyeol glances down and sees Sehun’s brows furrowed, suddenly in deep concentration. It’s really flipping adorable, if you asked Chanyeol, but no one ever does because he has a tendency to refer to everything Sehun did as adorable.

“I think I want peppermint,” Sehun announces as they reach the café, a small thing whose prices were backed up by some of the best coffee Chanyeol’s ever had. It’s another one of their favourites, especially since Sehun somehow always manages to charm the baristas into giving him a free cookie.

“Oh! Wait, hold on, Sehun, I think I see my friend, Kyungsoo!” Chanyeol halts Sehun’s march towards the front counter by tightening his hand, and Sehun grumbles about it for a moment before turning to see where Chanyeol was pointing. “Hi, Kyungsoo! Fancy meeting you here.”

Kyungsoo’s sitting in a booth by himself, already nursing a hot drink, and rolls his eyes at Chanyeol’s terrible acting. It’s a good thing Sehun doesn’t know any better. “Hello, Chanyeol,” he replies.

“Sehun, come say hi to daddy’s friend,” Chanyeol urges, pulling Sehun over to the booth and prodding him into the seat opposite.

Sehun just stares blankly at Kyungsoo from beneath all of his layers. Finally, he asks, “Are you the one that daddy spends all night with?”

Kyungsoo chuckles, nervous over Sehun’s unbreakable stare. “Um, yes?” he says, eyes darting up to Chanyeol briefly, a clear help me in his look. “I’m Kyungsoo.”

“I’m daddy’s favourite.”

“Sehun!” Chanyeol yelps, hastily putting a large hand to Sehun’s mouth, only to retract it quickly when he feels the wetness of Sehun’s tongue on his palm. “Sehun, what did I tell you about ? No !”

Sehun doesn’t respond, just frowns at Kyungsoo, who was watching the exchange with wide eyes.

Chanyeol sighs. “I’m sorry about him,” he apologizes, shrugging as he begins unwrapping Sehun from his scarf and helping him his jacket. “It’s a little, um, difficult to get him to warm up to new people. He’s actually really sweet, when he’s not people.”

“It’s okay, Chanyeol. I used to be a difficult child, too.”

“I’m not a difficult child,” Sehun states loudly, making Kyungsoo’s ears turn red and Chanyeol to groan. “Daddy, can I have my hot chocolate, please?”

Chanyeol springs to his feet. “Great idea, Sehun!” he enthuses, “Why don’t I grab us our drinks and you two can maybe get to know each other a little better? And maybe stop glaring, Sehun, we’re all friends here.”

At this, Chanyeol gets a dead stare from both Kyungsoo and Sehun, and so yeah, maybe he’s making this exponentially more awkward for Kyungsoo, but Sehun was going to have to meet Kyungsoo eventually. Inconveniently for Chanyeol, Sehun’s approval was a necessity to making any of his relationships work.

The moment Chanyeol leaves, a horrible silence descends on the two still sitting in the booth. Kyungsoo isn’t necessarily a kid person, though he doesn’t hate them, but there’s no denying the anxiousness that pools in his stomach faced with his boyfriend’s five year old son.

He’s doing it for Chanyeol. He really likes Chanyeol, even though he’d sort of balked when he found out that his rather childish boyfriend had a kid himself. He must become friends with Chanyeol’s son. Frankly, the is too good to lose Chanyeol, though he slaps the thought out of his mind immediately. Chanyeol’s great in other aspects, too, and he doesn’t feel comfortable thinking about in front of, oh god, Chanyeol’s son, who’s still staring at him like he’s got a second head growing out of his neck.

“You’re dating him, aren’t you?” Sehun asks suddenly, surprising Kyungsoo. “Daddy. You’re dating him.”

Kyungsoo squirms. They’d discussed this meeting before, of course, and agreed that it was time to break the news to Sehun. It doesn’t make it any easier in practice.

“Yes,” he replies, voice strangely strained. “I’m dating Chany— your daddy.” He searches Sehun’s face for any sign of a reaction, but receives none, Sehun lapsing back into silence after his answer.

They spend the next five minutes in excruciating silence.

“Okay, one cappuccino for me, and one peppermint hot chocolate for Sehunnie!” comes Chanyeol’s sing-song voice as he approaches the booth holding two mugs and a muffin on a plate for Sehun.

To Kyungsoo’s utter disbelief, the second Chanyeol’s voice is heard, huge fat tears began pooling in Sehun’s eyes, and there’s no time to react before Chanyeol arrives and Sehun starts weeping heavily.

“Here you—oh my god, Sehun, what’s wrong?” Chanyeol exclaims, almost dropping everything on the table as he rushes to console his crying son, who reaches out to him with demanding hands. Chanyeol takes Sehun into his arms, who immediately wraps his arms around Chanyeol’s neck tightly and presses his face into Chanyeol’s shoulder. Chanyeol looks at Kyungsoo, “What happened?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head, eyes freaked out, and raises his hands. “I don’t even know!” he says desperately, “He just started crying for no reason!”

Sehun only cries harder, thankfully muffled in Chanyeol’s sweater. There’s definitely a mixture between snot and tears on his neck.

“Sehun, are you okay?” Chanyeol pleads. “Tell daddy what’s wrong!” They’re starting to attract a few stares from the other customers.

 

Sehun finally lifts his head, looking at Chanyeol with a tear-stained face and a heartbreaking pout on his lips. “You’re supposed to go on dates with me,” he wails, fresh tears leaking out of his eyes. “Not with him! I’m your date!” Sehun’s voice breaks at the end and lets out of a miserable sob.

“Oh, Sehun,” Chanyeol sighs helplessly, patting his son’s back. “You know it’s not like that; of course you’re always going to be my date! Kyungsoo’s not replacing you, Sehunnie. It’s a different kind of date.”

But Sehun would not be consoled, only crying harder, and they were really starting to attract attention now. Chanyeol was mortified, but mostly he was upset because Sehun was upset. This wasn’t supposed to happen.

“I’m sorry, Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol says, hastily pulling on Sehun’s jacket and scarf before letting Sehun back into his arms. “Sehun is just a little, um, I don’t know. He likes you, though, don’t take it to heart,” he assures. “I’m just gonna… bring him home, okay?”

Kyungsoo nods, “No, of course, I’ll just call you later.”

Another wail from Sehun has Chanyeol speed walking out of the café, still apologizing. Kyungsoo watches them leave miserably; he hadn’t meant to upset Sehun so much! And he didn’t even do anything. He makes a mental note to try harder to be nicer next time; perhaps next time Sehun wouldn’t bust out into spontaneous tears at his mere presence.

But then at the last moment, he catches Sehun lifting his head to look right at him, and the self-satisfied smirk on his red, splotchy face is unmistakable. Kyungsoo groans. Perhaps not.