Three

The Runaway Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been two days since Chaerin stayed in. With Aunt May was still taking care of her sick son, Chaerin was more than likely to take her place; cleaning, cooking and looked after the young man.

            Her heart still jumped whenever she laid her eyes on him. Forty eight hours still hadn’t numbed her nerves on him. Every time, she saw his eyes, her legs weakened. And every time he called her name, her heart jumped and started to race as she was running in a marathon. She tried to hide her face as she knew her cheeks would burn from his intense gaze.

            Seungri had been so nice to her. He was helpful enough to lend his bed (he was sleeping in the guess room all this time), talked to her (they spent all night chatting and laughing), comforted her (he was a really good life advisor) and the most importantly, he never ask what’s really happened to her.

            Chaerin never wanted for him to know. It’s better that way. So that when she left, it will be like she never existed. A clean break. Like the wind that passed by and everything remained the same.

            But the truth was, something did changed. And she never knew if she could ever leave.

            She never admitted how meeting him changed her. The way she thought, the way she reacted and the way she felt. Being in this farm changed her. She met a lot of wonderful people, and she started to have affection towards them. She felt loved.

            Seungri brought her to meet the owner of the vineyard yesterday, an old couple and she was mesmerised by their love. Grandpa was blind several years ago because of diabetes and since then he depended on Grandma to be his eyes. Grandma was a strong woman and a loyal one too. She’s always smiling and taking care of her husband diligently. Without even saying anything, Chaerin felt the love between them were strong as ever. Nothing could break the strong bond based on trust and love.

            “Seungri is a great man,” Grandma said, taking Chaerin’s hands into her warm grasp. Sitting on the porch, they eyed Seungri and the men working in the field. “When he first came here, he said that he wanted to live here. He was willing to do any kind of work as long as he could stay.” She chuckled and Chaerin waited for her to continue. “I was surprised. Every young man wanted to live in the city and he wanted to live here, in farm and we barely have anything. The electricity goes off every month; the water supply was only from the river. We don’t really have tap water running in our kitchen, honey. We live simply, modest, away from the hustle life in the city. And everyone here is a family. We knew each other, we take care of everyone and in here, and no one was left alone. We’re always here for each other.” Grandma pulled her into her embrace and Chaerin’s eyes got teary instantly.

            Pulling out of her embrace, Chaerin smiled faintly. “Thank you, for having me here.”

            “Grandpa was very happy when I told him Seungri was bringing a lady friend for a visit. Seungri, he has no time for romance, you understand? He is always busy, busy, busy. I trust you will get him to change his ways. You are beautiful, Chaerin, just the sort of girl I imagined for him.”

            Swift alarm filled Chaerin’s body, sparking its way through every inch of it, and she flashed a pointed glace at Seungri, suddenly guessing that he had known all along that Grandma would assume they were in a relationship. It might even been wahat he’d wanted her to think, though why was a mystery. Why would he want to pretend that she was his girlfriend when they’d only known each other for five minutes? Across the field, Seungri was grinning at her, completely oblivious of her thought.

            She could feel her blood boiling and her brain cells working overtime. She wouldn’t mention it in front of Grandma as she didn’t want to upset her. But if he thought she would sit back and take it all in her stride, then he was very much mistaken.

             Seungri settled into the seat beside Chaerin as Grandma went inside to make some tea. He pulled of a cowboy hat from his head and swiped his sweat with his shirt. His tanned face glistened and Chaerin couldn’t help to marvel on his perfection. Wet hair rolled as he fanned himself with his hat, he has smooth pointed jaws and he smelled like earth, muddy and dirty. Her rage has been put down and she was staring at him quietly like she has been put under a spell.

            “Is something bothering you?” he asked suddenly. Looking at her intently

            Chaerin startled and her face flushed. Caught red-handedly, she made an excuse and scampered into the kitchen.

 

“What did you tell them about us?”

             “What? Why? Is something wrong?” he said. Frown dragged his brows together.

              Chaerin took an unsteady breath. “Why did they think t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter