The Ditch Incident

Reading Between The Lines

4:41 PM

Taemin's phone rings, an annoyingly high-pitched trill that makes him drop his bottle of banana milk. Cursing as he fumbles with the bottle, trying not to let it spill, he glances at the caller ID and then grins, setting the bottle of milk down and picking up the phone. "Did you miss me already? You called me about half an hour ago."

"I wanna show you something. Come to my place, okay?"

Taemin contemplates saying no, but a glance at his calendar says he doesn't have anything particularly important and his caller would know, and he kinda really wants to see the other male anyways, so he fakes a martyred sigh and says, "Okay. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

4:46 PM

The dancer throws on a baggy shirt, a pair of ripped up jeans and a hat before making his way to the subway, and in less than ten minutes, he's standing in front of a door with "221B" emblazoned upon it in twirling metal script. He jabs the doorbell once, listens to the distinctive ding-dong echoing through the flat, and within the span of two seconds, the door swings open to reveal a tall, lanky boy.

"Taemin-Hyung!" Sehun cheers, throwing his arms around the shorter male's neck and squeezing, hard.

"Sehun-ah... it's nice to see you too..." Taemin says weakly, patting the younger male on the back in hopes that the other male will let go.

He doesn't.

"Kai's been about how much he misses you!" Sehun says after he finally releases Taemin.

"We meet every day though, why did he say he misses me?" Taemin laughs, massaging his neck.

A pained yell echoes through the flat and both Sehun and Taemin wince. "That'll be Kai. He said something about how he wanted to cook something for you."

"And you let him near the kitchen?" Taemin asks incredulously, glancing inside the flat.

"Uh..."

Another shout followed by a curse, and Sehun's dragging Taemin through the house and into the kitchen, where Kai sits on the floor, on his finger. He looks up as they enter, quickly whipping his finger out of his mouth and wiping it on his shirt when he notices Taemin. "Uh... Hi Taeminnie?" he says, grinning sheepishly.

"What was that?" Taemin asks, eyeing the stove as if it's a bomb waiting to go off.

"Beef casserole. It looked easy enough on the recipe..." Kai says, scratching his neck nervously.

"Is that what you wanted to show me?" Taemin asks, holding back laughter as he spots the recipe book, lying on its spine with a few pages crushed.

"Oh!" Kai says, eyes lighting up. "No, that's not it! I wanted to show you something else. Oi, Sehun! Watch my casserole! Take it out in forty-five minutes, got it?"

"Watch your own freaking casserole!" comes Sehun's voice from the living room, partially drowned out by the sounds of gunshots and Benedict Cumberbatch from the television.

"Sehun's great," Taemin laughs, following Kai into the dancer's room.

"But you like me more, right?" Kai says playfully.

"Of course," Taemin says nonchalantly, and doesn't notice how the tanned male's breath hitches. "So," he begins, snapping the taller male out of his reverie. "What did you want to show me?"

"Oh, right," Kai says distractedly, and turns around once on the spot as if getting his bearings, then raises a hand to point at a lighter. "Recognise it?"

Taemin stares at it for a while, then a flicker of recognition appears in his eyes and he begins to laugh. "Oh my god," he giggles. "Why do you even have that?"

"Not a clue," Kai shrugs, grinning.
 



6 July, 2013

Anguk Street


Kai walks slowly out of the dance complex, groaning as his joints creak. Sehun had ditched him for a ditzy Chinese transfer student by the name of Luhan, leaving him to walk home on his own. "Argh!" he shouts, the yell echoing through the empty street as he punches fists into the air in frustration. "Damn Luhan! Damn Sehun! Damn shared love of bubble tea!"

"Do you mind," comes a soft male voice from somewhere on Kai's left, and the tanned dancer whips around, looking for the source of the voice. "I'm trying to think here," the male continues, and Kai thinks he's heard it before.

"Where are you?" Kai asks, looking around dumbly.

"To your left," the voice says, and Kai almost rolls his eyes because that was obvious, but then isn't that Taemin's voice?

"Taemin?" Kai asks incredulously, because really, what are the chances of meeting Taemin? Here, of all places?

"Yes, you idiot. Now either join me or go away."

"How can I join you if I don't know where you are?" Kai asks in confusion. The only thing to his left is a drain, and why would Taemin be in a drain?

"I'm in the drain, stupid," Taemin says, and Kai does a double take, then rushes to the side of the road. Sure enough, there is Taemin, sitting in the drain with his knees tucked to his chest, his bag lying discarded and forgotten a few feet away.

Kai sniffs at the air, wrinkling his nose. "What's burning?" He looks around, then blinks. Not two metres from where Taemin sits is a metal container with burning incense sticks protruding from the lid. "What are you doing, praying to Buddha?"

"Don't be absurd," Taemin murmurs offhandedly, and Kai has to fight the urge to laugh because he's not the one sitting in a ditch. "I'm Catholic, remember?"

 


 

5:25 PM

"Ah," Kai says. "How nostalgic. I can even smell the burning, even now." He opens his eyes to a skeptical Taemin, who then glances quickly towards the direction of the kitchen.

"You sure that's not just your beef casserole?"

"!" Kai shoots to his feet, then flies out of the room towards the kitchen, from which grey smoke is issuing. "Sehun! You little , I told you to watch my casserole!"

"And I told you to watch your own freaking casserole!" comes the exasperated retort from the living room, and Kai is left to extract the mangled and burnt remains of a casserole from the oven amidst Taemin's laughter.
 

 


 

I'M BAAAAAACCCCCKKKKK

lol who am I kidding you didn't even notice I was gone did you

I'm sad and Taemin is too

ANYWAYS

I have another chapter! 

I'm sorry I couldn't resist

Leave me a comment for this chapter!

And then the next one!

Taekai doing aegyo as payment in advance?

idk is that even aegyo tbh

Ok bye hope you enjoyed leave me a comment!

~KimSeRin