The Umbrella Incident

Reading Between The Lines

4:42 PM

It's raining. Again. In summer.

Taemin groans as he rummages through his bag for an umbrella and comes up empty-handed, glancing around helplessly in hopes of finding an abandoned umbrella. No luck.

Loud voices echo down the hallway and Taemin hears one he recognises as Sehun's, one he recognises as Kai's and one he's never heard before. "Oh. It's raining?" the unfamiliar voice says, and the three males round the corner. The voice Taemin doesn't recognise belongs to a short, young-looking male with fresh features, and flanking him are Kai and Sehun.

"Ah! Taemin-Hyung!" Sehun greets enthusiastically as he spots the smaller male, and Kai's head snaps around.

"Taeminnie!" Kai cheers, running towards him and smothering him in a hug. "I missed you!"

"I saw you two days ago!" Taemin laughs, patting Kai on the head.

"Still," Kai whines, and Taemin sees Sehun and the stranger leaving, and Sehun smirking at Taemin as he opens his umbrella to share it with the new boy.

"Ah, right," Taemin remembers. "Do you have an umbrella?"

"Yeah. Don't you?"

"Nah. Can I share with you?"

"Of course. Come on," Kai says, opening his umbrella and stepping out into the rain as Taemin joins him.

The shorter male looks up, then snorts as he registers the design. "Tinkerbell? Really?"

"I took my sister's umbrella by accident, okay?" Kai mumbles, flushing all the way to his ears. "If you have a problem with it, walk in the rain."

"Hey, hey," Taemin says, holding his hands up in a gesture of surrender. "I never said I had a problem with it."

"Good."

"Yeah."

They lapse into comfortable silence for a while before Kai says suddenly, "What were you doing at my school?"

"You didn't know? I go there for dance lessons sometimes."

"Whoa, really?" Kai asks, stopping.  "How have I never seen you around before?"

"You weren't looking for me...?"

"I'm always looking for you," Kai mumbles under his breath, so soft that Taemin wonders if he imagined it.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing."

The rain gets heavier and the wind picks up, and Kai curses as the umbrella suddenly turns inside out and snaps, leaving the two of them undefended against the elements. They stand there for a few moments, shocked, and then Taemin grins. "Run!"

Laughing and giggling like elementary school students, the two dancers race through the rain, splashing through puddles with childish glee before Kai yells, "My house! It's closer!" Long fingers wrap around Taemin's wrist and then Kai's tugging Taemin along, through an alleyway and along a path lined by trees before they stop, panting and drenched, in front of a cosy-looking house. "Welcome to the Kim residence," Kai grins, and pulls Taemin through the entrance, shouting, "Mom! It's me!"

"Jongin!" a small, sweet-looking woman emerges from the kitchen, a toddler on her hip and a small girl clinging to her skirt. "And who's this?"

"Mom, this is Taemin. Taeminnie, this is my mom."

"Hello, it's nice to meet you," Taemin says, bowing deeply.

"It's good to see you've brought over someone decent," Kai's mom says appreciatively, looking Taemin up and down. "He's handsome, too. Your boyfriend?"

"What?" Taemin says, blushing.

"No, no, nothing like that–" Kai says, waving his hands about. "Not yet, anyways," he mutters, but Taemin doesn't hear him.

"We got stuck in the rain," the smaller male explains, "and he brought me here."

"Well, I'm glad he did! It's so nice to see him with someone other than that Sehun," the lady says, and Taemin can't help but feel a strange sense of jealousy in the pit of his stomach.

"Come on, Taeminnie," Kai grumbles, tugging the older male up the stairs and into a bedroom that must be Kai's. "Here," he says, tossing Taemin a red towel, and taking out a yellow towel for himself to ruffle his hair dry. What he doesn't expect is for Taemin to strip, then and there, and Kai's gaze immediately wanders over the pale skin, toned chest muscles and almost-abs on a flat stomach, and then his gaze travels downwards. Kai forces it away from that area and down to Taemin's legs but it's not that much better because Jesus Christ those legs look amazing.

"Kai?" Taemin says from some distant place, and Kai shakes himself.

"Yeah?"

"Could I borrow a shirt?" Taemin asks innocently, and Kai has to fight the urge to groan at how oblivious Taemin is because he would look so cute in Kai's clothes.

"Uh, sure," the tanned male says, and tears his gaze away from the other dancer as he ducks into his closet. "There's not much that might fit you... Try this," he says as he comes out of the closet, and throws a shirt in Taemin's general direction.

A few moments later, Kai is turning around and it's either the best thing or the worst thing because it clings to Taemin in all the right places and it's definitely not good for Kai's heart. Taemin's saying something, Kai can tell by the way his mouth is moving, but no matter how hard he tries he can't look away from the pale boy.

But then Kai's vision is filled by Taemin's face coming closer, too close! and then Taemin rests his forehead on Kai's. "Argh!" Kai yelps, scrambling away. "W-w-w-what are you doing?"

"You looked kinda out of it," Taemin explains, looking bemused. "I was checking if you had a fever."

"Oh. Right," Kai says, feeling stupid. "No, I'm all right."

Taemin bites his lip and looks around the room, and his eyes light up suddenly. "It's Harry Potter!" he grins, pointing at a poster hanging on the wall.

"Yeah," Kai says, laughing at how excited Taemin is. They fall back into silence, Taemin looking around the room and Kai watching Taemin, before Kai remembers that he's sitting on the floor in drenched clothes and definitely getting the carpet soaked. "I should get changed. Could you go downstairs and tell my mom I want food? I'll be down in a little while."

 



5:26 PM

When Kai comes down ten minutes later, it's to the sight of four children climbing over... something. A very loud, giggly something. "Eat him! Eat him! Eat him!" Aejin screams, jumping up and down on the couch next to the something.

"No!" comes a shriek from under the children. "Don't eat me!" Taemin shrieks, each word punctuated by giggles.

"Yeah! Don't eat him!" Yebin shrills, jumping off Taemin and pushing Aejin over. "I'm going to marry Taeminnie, and I can't do that if you eat him!"

"What?" Taemin protests. "Don't I get a say in this?"

"Nope," Yebin sings, and throws tiny arms around Taemin's neck.

"That's fine, I like you too," Taemin grins, patting Yebin's head.

"Are my siblings annoying you?" Kai chuckles as Taemin gets crushed by the children again.

"Not so much annoying as killing me," Taemin chokes out from under the weight of four kids.

"No! Don't hurt him!" Yebin shrieks, and pushes the other children off.

"All right, guys, don't kill my Taemin," Kai laughs.

"No! My Taeminnie!" Yebin whines, glaring at Kai.

"Come on, let's go eat," Kai says, and rescues Taemin from the children's clutches.

"Yebin's cute," Taemin says as he follows Kai into the kitchen and sits down next to the tanned male.

"Yeah? I think so too," Kai says, and then, after looking around carefully, murmurs conspiratorially, "She's just about my favourite sibling. Don't tell the other kids I said that, though."

"I'll take it to the grave," Taemin says solemnly, and then he's distracted by the arrival of the food. "Thank you very much, ajumma," he says respectfully, and starts to eat. Then, as soon as he starts, he freezes, fork still between his lips, and turns slowly to face Kai's mother. "Ajumma," he begins, voice slightly muffled by a forkful of meat. "This is amazing." Then, turning to Kai, he asks incredulously, "Why didn't you inherit your mom's cooking skills?"

"Hey, I can't be perfect," Kai protests, smirking. "I have to have one flaw."

"Your son almost blew up the kitchen," Taemin tells Kai's mom, rolling his eyes. "He was making beef casserole."

Blushing, Kai shoves a few forkfuls of meat into his mouth so he doesn't have to reply, and listens to Taemin's laughter as Yebin discovers them again.
 


 

6:14 PM


"It's still raining," Taemin states blankly as he stares out of the window.

"I'll walk you to your place," Kai offers, and Taemin nods gratefully.

"That would be nice."

And so the two set out walking again in the rain with a more sturdy umbrella, having apologised to Chaerin for breaking her Tinkerbell umbrella. "Hey, Taeminnie?" Kai says after a few minutes of companionable silence. "I've always wanted to know, but why do you live on your own?"

"It's closer to school than my family house, and my family wants me to be more independent. I was going to look for a roommate, but the rent is cheap enough for me to handle by myself," Taemin explains, and Kai nods in understanding. They finally arrive at Taemin's apartment building, and Kai shakes the water out of the umbrella before Taemin leads the way up to his flat. "I'll give you back your clothes," he says as he pushes the door open, and strips down to his boxers right in the middle of his flat, then darts into his room for a change of clothes. He emerges a little while after, then hands Kai his clothes. "Thanks for those. I'll walk you out."

"You know Yebin's going to want to see you again, right? So you're going to have to come back to my house," Kai says as they ride the elevator down to the lobby of the building.

Taemin laughs. "Tell her I've got my sights on her brother."

Kai laughs too, then trails off when he realises something. "But... I'm her only brother..."

Taemin frowns, laughter ceasing as he stares incredulously up at the taller male. "Why did you think I said that?" The elevator dings and the doors open, and Taemin has to pull a shocked Kai out, grinning. "Come on, idiot," Taemin smiles, a hand on the small of Kai's back, and when he doesn't respond, Taemin presses his lips to Kai's and then shoves him out of the building. "Good night! Tell your mom thanks for the food!"

But Kai doesn't hear that last part, his face blushing a light pink as he presses uncertain fingers to his lips before a stupid grin spreads across his cheeks, and the tanned male skips the mile home.
 

 


OMG

TAEMINNIEEEE

YOU - I - WHAAAAAATTTT??

*dying brb*

aww look at them they're so cute

I think that's enough payment for a comment, don't you think?

No?

Fine.

There you go

Ok bye hope you enjoyed leave me a comment!

~KimSeRin