The Ankle Incident

Reading Between The Lines

10:48 AM

Kai is awoken unceremoniously by his phone ringing, an incessant, annoyingly bright tune for this early on a Saturday morning. The tanned male groans and stretches, shifting bedsheets, and rolls over, only to fall off the bed with a yelp and a grunt as the tangled nest of man and blankets collides with the floor. He lies there for a while before finally remembering what awoke him and reaching up reluctantly to answer the blasted phone. "Yeoboseyo," Kai grunts into the speaker, his face instantly relaxing as he recognises his caller's voice. 

"Kai? Sorry to wake you, I know you usually sleep late, but I'm kinda in trouble and I need you to help," Taemin says, sounding much calmer than Kai would expect someone in trouble to sound.

"What kind of trouble?" 

"I've injured myself," Taemin says vaguely, and Kai lets out a little "ah" of understanding. "Come to my place, okay?" 

11:12 AM

Kai bursts through the door, having long since been given permission to enter the building at any time both by Taemin and the doorman, partly because of Kai's almost incessant visits and partly because he had a bad habit of jamming the intercom with his childish impatience when made to wait. "Taemin! What happened?" He casts a cursory look around Taemin's apartment before concluding that he must be in his room. He kicks Taemin's bedroom door open, repeating his shout before realising that the room is empty. "Taeminnie?" 

The bathroom door swings open slowly, revealing a very wet, very Taemin. "Uh... hi," Taemin says lamely, waving.

Kai's hands immediately fly up to cover his suddenly flaming face, the younger male calling upon every modeling trick he learnt in that one period of his life to will his arousal away. Down, little Jongin... "What happened?" Kai asks weakly, mentally slapping himself when his voice cracks slightly. 

"Well, as you can see," Taemin mumbles, and Kai peeks through a tiny gap in his fingers to see Taemin gesturing towards himself. "I was about to shower, and there was a bug, which I killed afterwards, and I got scared, and I slipped, and I think my ankle might be twisted."

Kai's full of many things to say, and because the more logical part of his mind is occupied with subduing Kai Junior, he says, "You know, Taemin, you're probably the only guy I know who's afraid of insects."

The death glare Taemin shoots Kai could fell stronger men than Kai, and Kai closes the gap in between his fingers, involuntarily taking a few steps back. "Both you and I know that if I could stand, your future children would be in danger, and the only reason why I'm not throwing solid objects at you right now is because I require you to be intact. Got it, Kkamjong?" Kai winces - Taemin only uses that nickname when he's especially mad - and nods meekly, bowing at a 90-degree angle. "That's better. Now, slave, pick me up."

"Slave?" Kai asks, gingerly crossing the threshold of safety and rational thought into the bathroom.

"Yes, slave," Taemin replies, lifting slender arms like a petulant child asking to be carried. "You're my slave now. Feel honoured."

Kai ignores the arms - or tries to; that milky white skin is hypnotising - and scoops Taemin up, carrying him like a bride and carefully avoiding the dangerous areas with his eyes as Taemin yelps, rather close to Kai's ears. Kai grins, knowing he has the upper hand, and spins nimbly towards the doorway, saying cheerfully, "This feels like we're just married, doesn't it?" before realising what his stupid brain had made him say, and desperately attempting to do damage control. "I-I mean, you probably wouldn't be and all... but..."

"Shut up," Taemin mumbles, and Kai dares to sneak a look over at the elder, seeing a cute shade of red tingeing Taemin's face and ears, painting his neck and caressing his collarbones. "Just bring me to my bed." Kai gulps, nods and walks forwards before stopping dead in his tracks when he hears a thump and a yelp. "Ow! My head, you idiot!"

"Sorry!" Kai wails, turning sideways and scuttling out the door before he can do any more damage. Laying Taemin gently down on the mattress, he accidentally catches a glimpse of the other male's body, and freezes. It's not like it's the first time he's seen Taemin - but that's a story for another time - but this time feels different; strange somehow. Taemin seems to feel it too, breathing becoming slower and deeper, his gaze becoming slightly more intense as they gaze into each other's eyes. 

Suddenly, there's a gust of wind through the open window and a door slams somewhere in the house, and  the spell is broken, Kai snapping back upright and spinning away abruptly, Taemin rolling onto his side and burying his face in his hands. "Get me some clothes from outside," Taemin mumbles through his hands.

"Yes, master," Kai says distantly, vaguely wondering how he's so freaking calm right now. Quickly locating the basket of unfolded clothes, he selects a pair of baggy shorts and boxers and randomly picks a shirt from the pile, running back into the room as Taemin shouts his name. "Yes?"

"What was taking you so long?" Taemin huffs, traces of his blush still tainting those milky white expanses. 

"Sorry," Kai replies lamely, handing Taemin the clothes.

"Kai, turn around, okay?" Taemin says, rolling onto his side again.

"Why? It's not like I haven't seen you -"

"That's beside the point, you idiot!" Taemin snaps, and Kai, fearing for his life, does as he's told. A few moments and the rustling of clothes later, Taemin says, "You can turn around now." and Kai does, sitting down on the bed beside Taemin's legs.

After a few seconds, Kai suddenly asks, "Hey, why do you always call me Kai?"

Taemin looks up at Kai sharply. "Do you not like it?"

"No, I mean, it's a nickname. But why don't you call me Jongin?"

"I don't know... I kinda came up with that nickname in my head, remember? So it just kinda stuck," Taemin says, frowning. "Would you prefer it if I called you Jongin?"

Kai feels something inside him shiver a little when Taemin says his name, and so he chokes out a hoarse, "Yes, please."

"Jongin," Taemin says slowly, rolling the word around in his mouth, tasting it. Kai feels the strange shiver in his chest again before they fall back into a comfortable silence. "Jongin?" the elder asks suddenly.

"Yeah?"

"What is this?" Taemin asks, propped up on one elbow and gesturing to the space in between them. 

"Air?" Kai jokes. 

"No, but seriously?"

"I... I guess... Something more than friends?" Kai mumbles, feeling his face heating up.

"And what is that?" Taemin persists, sitting up.

"B-boyfriend and girl-- boyfriend?" Kai stutters, running a hand through his hair nervously.

"Girl-boyfriend?" Taemin laughs.

"Boyfriend and boyfriend," Kai repeats, face flaming red.

"I see," Taemin says, face scrunching up into a frown. "Then, if that's the case, once we get my ankle checked out, would you go out with me on Sunday?"

Kai can't speak, the shock of everything blocking up his throat, before he finally manages to say, "O-of course."

 

 


Uh.... hi. *waves lamely*

(OH MY GOD, SHE'S ALIVE?)

BUT WAIT 

before I continue, I just wanna say sorry for leaving so long with no excuse, but I had Writer's Block and it took me a while to realise that I just needed a different source of inspiration. *coughSHINeeTokyoDomecough*

AND IT MAKES ME SO SAD BUT THIS CHAPTER IS BASED OFF TAEMIN'S ACTUAL INJURY

I won't insert a gif of that because it would make me cry so instead here's some happy Kai to cheer you up

Oh! and from now on, I'll be referring to Kai as Jongin because Taemin's doing the same.

oh i saw this on tumblr and it made me laugh because it encapsulates their relationship perfectly

Is that enough payment for a comment?

oh wait here you go

they're so ghei i cri

Ok bye hope you enjoyed leave me a comment! (Please I beg of you, I basically live off you guys' comments)

~KimSeRin