The Ballerina Incident

Reading Between The Lines

4:40 PM

"Oh my god," Taemin says suddenly, just as Emma Watson starts to hit Rupert Grint onscreen. "I just remembered."

"What did you remember?" Kai asks, turning from the screen to face the smaller male, thinking distantly that maybe he doesn't want to know.

"Oh my god," Taemin says again, starting to giggle. "Princess Kailie!"

"Shut up!" Kai half-yells, dark face flushing even darker. "I didn't have a choice, okay?"

Taemin doubles over, gasping as he struggles to fill his lungs with the oxygen it so desperately needs through his laughter. "I... can't... breathe..." he manages, dissolving into another fit of giggles.

If Taemin had been calm enough to look up at Jongin, he would have seen the dancer's face reddening before a sock-clad foot comes into contact with Taemin's side, knocking him sideways onto the couch. Undeterred, Taemin's laughter continues, albeit slightly muffled by the hand Taemin's thrown over his mouth to attempt to stifle his laughter.

 


 

12 July, 2013

Wings Dance Complex

Taemin pushes open the door to the bathroom, freezing as the door swings open to reveal a pink-clad figure with their back turned towards the door. Crap, he thinks, backing away. Wrong bathroom. He closes the door slowly, making sure it makes no sound, before heaving a sigh of relief at not getting caught. Then, he looks up suddenly, sees the giant "MALE" printed in block letters across the door, and frowns. A prank? Maybe. Shrugging, Taemin pushes the door open for the second time in as many minutes, more forcefully than the first time, and the figure whirls around, pink tutu swinging, and Taemin's jaw drops. The person's eyes are wide, caught in the act of stuffing the front of their extremely pink leotard with a wad of tissue, but that's not the reason Taemin's jaw is sinking to the floor. "Kai?" Taemin says, disbelievingly, then scans the dancer's outfit from head to toe before he explodes into laughter, hands flying up to keep it in. "What - the hell - is - that?" he gasps, pointing to Kai's ridiculous getup. 

"It's for my dance class," Kai mutters, stuffing the rest of the tissue into his leotard, and Taemin chances another look at Kai and sees something he hadn't before.

"And a tiara?" he splutters, clutching at his sides. "What are you, a princess?"

"We're doing The Nutcracker," Kai mumbles, ears turning red. "I'm the Sugar-Plum Fairy."

If it's possible to die of laughter, Taemin seems to be making a good effort. "Oh - my - god," the smaller dancer wheezes, tears streaming down his cheeks. "Princess Kailie!"

"Are you even listening to me?" Kai wails, throwing his hands in the air. "I'm not a princess!"

"No, but you're a fairy and that's really not much better," Taemin giggles, wiping tears from his eyes and dissolving into another round of hysterics as he spots Kai's legs. "Are those - tights?"

"They're leggings," Kai retorts with such an affronted tone that it sends Taemin into convulsions, the smaller male leaning on the sinks for support.

"Oh - my - god," Taemin gasps again, fanning his face, before something occurs to him and he dives to his bag, rummaging around before he whips out his phone and brandishes it at Kai, who cowers away. "Smile!"

"No - Taemin - I will kill you!" Kai yells, groaning as the unmistakable click of the camera is heard. "Delete it!"

"Catch me if you can," Taemin snorts, and takes off running out of the bathroom before Kai has a chance to stop him.

"You little -!" Kai screams from the bathroom, and soon Taemin hears heavy footsteps in hot pursuit, and he turns a corner, giggling like a schoolboy as he sends the picture to his laptop before he's knocked over and sat on, the air crushed from his lungs as Kai flops onto the small of Taemin's back, snatching his phone away and heaving a sigh of relief as he deletes the picture from the phone.

 


 

5:24 PM

"I still have that picture, you know," Taemin remarks after he's calmed down slightly, then melts into a fit of giggles again as Kai's head snaps towards him so fast he almost gets whiplash. 

"No," Kai breathes disbelievingly. "I deleted it."

Taemin pats Kai sympathetically on the shoulder before fishing around in his pocket for his phone. When he finds it, he presses a few buttons before showing the screen to a dumbstruck Kai. "Don't underestimate me, Kkamjongie. Did you really think I'd have passed up that chance to blackmail and bribe?"

"Hey! You're as dark as -!" Kai protests, then stops mid-sentence. "Wait... 'blackmail and bribe'? Who did you blackmail and bribe?"

"Blackmail? Not yet. Bribe? Um... let's see... Sehun? Zitao? Kyungsoo-hyung?" Taemin muses, counting them off on slender fingers, smirking when Kai's jaw drops. 

"How... What did you make them do?" Kai croaks, staring at Taemin half in awe and half in fear.

"You can ask them yourself," Taemin singsongs, turning back to face the television. "Blackmail is for later. Now lemme watch in peace."

6:13 PM

The movie is over and the two dancers are sitting lifelessly on the carpeted floor of Taemin's room, listening to loud dance music, when the smaller male says suddenly, "Kai?"

"Yes?"

"Get me some food from the convenience store."

"What? Why?" Kai asks stupidly.

"What do you mean, why?" Taemin frowns, turning to face Kai. "I'm hungry, idiot."

"Idiot, yourself," Kai retorts maturely. "But why don't you come too?"

Taemin's lips turn up into a smirk and he raises his phone. The message is clear, and so he gets up, grumbling, and heads out of Taemin's apartment to find the nearest convenience store.

6:32 PM

Kai's back, hefting large bags of delicious and very unhealthy snacks, and muttering darkly about some people and laziness, kicks the door open and stomps his way to Taemin's room, from which he can still feel the heavy bass of dubstep. "Oi!" he yells over the music, nudging the door open gently with a sock-clad foot because there's so much stuff on the floor that it would be a waste of energy to kick the door. "Gimme a hand with this -" and he stops, because his eyes find Taemin, sprawled out on the floor. Kai drops the bags, jumps over piles of unfolded laundry, and, not knowing what to do, pokes Taemin's cheek. 

Snooooore.

Kai's hand falls limply to his side before he's trudging back to the bags and heaving them back outside, faced with a dilemma. Let Taemin sleep and eat all the food? Wake him up and face unknown consequences? Call someone else to assist? Leave him to sleep and go home? (Taemin had been working harder than usual, what with dancing and school and part-time jobs.)

Choices, choices.

In the end, Kai stomps back to Taemin's room, turns the dance music off, dumps the bags amongst the scattered mess around the room, and leaves a note on the boy's chest, whispering, "Sleep well, idiot." And then he leaves with a definitely-not-platonic kiss pressed to Taemin's forehead, but it's okay because the dude's sleeping, right? He'll never know.

7:54 PM

Taemin wakes with a start - when did I even fall asleep? - and looks around the room, feeling like something's missing. He frowns. Nothing's too out of place: the unfolded clothes lie in a messy pile by the bed, the stacks of books are perfectly symmetrical. All that's different is the plastic bags full of snacks that have somehow magically appeared next to the dancer's long legs. Wait... Snacks? Didn't I tell Kai to go get me food? And then it all comes back to him in a flash, and Taemin's hands are covering his face because How could I have fallen asleep, he probably thinks I'm a total douche now! 

He gets up slowly, stretching and wincing as his back produces a satisfying crack, and then something rustles, and he looks down. There, lying in the scattered mess, is a note with the words "See you tomorrow, pabo" printed in Kai's messy scrawl, and below it, in the tiniest handwriting Taemin's ever seen, "Princess Kailie the Sugar-Plum Fairy" and then, in slightly bigger handwriting, "(gods that's about the gayest thing I've ever had to write)".

Taemin decides that he'll keep this for blackmail and bribery as well.

 

 


 

 

OMGGG

 This is like the most exciting thing happening in my life right now tbh

 

I know Taemin it's cool right

Kai thinks so too

So please leave me a comment!

Here's Taemin doing aegyo to bribe you

At least I think it's aegyo

Ok bye hope you enjoyed leave me a comment! 

~KimSeRin