Not A Cliche'

Not A Cliche'

I didn’t expect to fall in love. It kinda came when I least expected it, like a tornado, appearing out of nowhere, destroying everything in its path. I didn’t expect it to have the effect it has had on me, the strong grip it has had over my heart and not willing to let go any time soon.

Last of all, I didn’t expect to be loved ... by him.

I shut the book in huff. EW. What the hell did I just read? Trust the best friend to shove a book like this in my hands. It’s an awesome book, honest, she said. Come on, don’t judge it before you read it, she said.

I roll my eyes. If love is anything similar to what it’s cracked up to be in this book, than I’d rather stay single.

Too busy ranting about the clichés of ‘love’, I bumped right in the path of passing stranger. I dropped all my books, and cussing like there was no tomorrow, bent over to pick them back up again. "Look where you’re going next time." I murmured, smacking people away from stepping all over my books.

"You bumped into me, not the other way around. Here, let me." The stranger, now identified as a member of the species ‘teenage boy’, bent down to join me. I was just about to grab the romance book that I was reading, when the said teenage boy grabbed it a second sooner than me. I looked up at him, at the same time that he looked up at me. He smiled, giving me a cheeky grin, dimples and all. I shot him a patronizing look.

Standing up, he said, "So you’re the kind that’s into romance novels, huh? Seriously, these books just get your hopes up too high." I rolled my eyes a second time that day. Hitching up my bag with its refilled contents, I snatched it back from him. "So suddenly you’re the expert on romance novels, are you? Maybe you should focus more on not bumping into people and less on being an expert on romance novels." He grinned, looking down at me. Shoving his hands on his pockets and teetering on his heels, he said, "I never said I was. And again, deaf ears, you were the one that bumped into me, not the other way ‘round."

My mouth fell open, unbelieving of what I just heard him call me. The idiotic teenage boy laughed at the facials I must have been pulling, and began walking away from me down the school corridor. "Did you just call me deaf ears?" The boy just chuckled, walking backwards now. "The name’s Lay by the way. Maybe we can do this again, sometime later?"

I frowned. "No, we will not be doing this again sometime later." He combed his fingers through his black hair, rather seductively. who does he actually think he is? "You know, I just realised we’re part of a cliché right now. Just don’t fall in love with me, just ‘cos I helped you pick up your books."

I cocked my head to the side, wondering who the heck this boy thought he was. "I am not going to fall in love with you. God, who do you think you are?" He smiled once again, those dimples of him making a guest appearance.

"Oh, so you’re just going to walk away now? Hey, I’m talking to you!" The unidentified teenage boy now identified as Lay soon disappeared from view. I shook my head.

Maybe we can do this again, sometime later? Pfft, please. In your dreams maybe.

Hours later, I found that I couldn't stop thinking about dimples.