Magic Is Real

Confessions of A Noona
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Magic Is Real"

Genre: Angst / Fluff

Characters: Noona (Girin) / Yugyeom

published: 04| 24 |2015

 

Diary entry #27 for the month of May 2015:

 

You won’t believe it when I tell you. You might even think it only exists in my mind.

But I swear, I’m telling you the truth and even as I tell you this now, I can still hardly believe it either.

It started out like this…

At 35 years old, I am living what dancers would say a miraculous life extension.

You see, the shelf life of a dancer is only until 28 years old. Even some figure skaters and athletes can vouch for this. All that training and exertion takes a toll on our bodies.

This is why I swore that injuries be damned, I will teach and share everything that I can about the art that I so love.

Anyway… It was November of last year that I met him.

I’m always extra vulnerable and sullen on Novembers because it was the birth month of my favorite uncle who passed away when I was 15. At the same time, it’s the month that the first love of my life had passed away when I was 20.

This particular night, I found myself sitting at a bench in the local park, letting the November rain wash away every drop of tear. I needed to just cry it out.

That was until a red umbrella shielded me from the downpour and a guy’s worried face was looming over me.

His hair is a dark shade of brown and is styled up, no doubt very handsome.

“Did you lock yourself out of your place too?” Came his sweet voice.

To say that I was embarrassed was an understatement. Here I was, crying over distant memories, blotchy face and all, when this attractive guy comes and tries to make a conversation with me.

I try to answer him but found that I didn’t have the voice to do so.

“I know I did. Stupid thing really, especially since I just moved in and my roommate is at some party.” He continued. “I’ll share my only shelter with you.” He looked up briefly, clearly referring to the umbrella.

I stood up, replied with a curt “thank you” before walking past him. I don’t know what came over me today and let myself go; and in a public place no less.

I don’t even know this guy and already, he’s seen a side of me I’ve never shown anyone.

“I’m Yugyeom by the way. I hope to see you around.” He called after me.

I hope we don’t. Not when all 2 minutes of him seeing me consisted of my puffy eyes and persistent hiccups from crying.

Friday night of that week is when I get the biggest shock of the year. The stranger (I still pretend I didn’t hear him introduce himself), is in my 6 o’clock Hip-Hop Choreography dance class.

I taught the class as normally as I could. He showed no signs of remembering me, which has me sighing in relief on the inside.

My relief is short-lived when he approaches me in the corner as I prepare to leave the room, the last of the other students already filing out the door.

“So you’re Girin. I never caught your name that night.” Now that I see him with sufficient lighting, he looks younger than I initially thought.

“I never gave you my name.” Thankfully, my voice came out sounding calm.

“Right. I’m pretending you didn’t ignore my good Samaritan ways then.” He beamed at me. “I’m forgiving like this.”

“Extremely humble of you too.” I reply rather sarcastically.

“Hey… If it gets you to talk with me then I don’t see any problem with that.” I can’t believe I fell into his trap. “Wanna grab dinner before heading home?”

Though it was supposed to be my last class, I decided I’d join the ballroom class taught by one of the dance school’s seasonal teachers to have a proper excuse for turning his offer down.

I have to give props to him for how persistent he can be. He ended up joining the class too. He didn’t even miss a beat and just stepped up the moment we had to partner up.

“You’ve got some attitude in you, don’t you? How can you speak to me this way?” I ask him, whispering as we danced Foxtrot.

“Well for one, we’re just regular people who live in the same neighborhood once your class ends. Two, I’m almost the same age as you are. I think we can talk comfortably with each other.”

“Which is?” I couldn’t help but raise my brow.

“I’m 20.” I didn’t know if I should feel insulted or complimented. Was he playing with me?

The look in him gave me that impression that he was genuine. Nonetheless though, he’s completely wrong.

“I’m 35.” I tell him and he looked so shocked. “This is so not okay.” I added quickly.

That’s when it all started. Before I knew it, we’d both opened up to each other and I’d fallen in way too deep.

It was at the New Year’s Eve Party the dance school organized when I found myself uttering the exact same sentence to Yugyeom.

“This is so

Please log in to read the full chapter