Wish 03. Promise

Angels of Snow

Sungjong reached out for her hand as he gestured to move for the other wall, Sae Mi agreed with a nod and crouched lower behind their wall. The others continued to pelt them with snowballs and they both looked up to check if the coast was clear.

They faltered for a moment as they gathered up more snow and Sungjong made a run for it. He took the side that would protect Sae Mi from any snowballs and they laughed and screamed running as Sunggyu realized they had a good chance.

Hoya seized the opportunity and managed to land one on Sungjong’s shoulder, before they reached the bigger wall. Sungjong dusted the snow off his left arm and turned to see Sae Mi’s big smile.

He stared as he felt the deja vu of staring at a younger Sae Mi in the exact same spot. She had the same smile and clear eyes that just saw through everything. She stared right back at him, tilting her head to the side in confusion.

“What’s wrong? You have one more wish.” She said encouragingly, “So tell me what you want.” 

“This isn’t the first time we’ve met is it?” He asked her, he felt her tense up as he still held her hand but she let it go as soon as it happened. “Am I right, aren’t I?” He said.

Sae Mi sighed, “You’re not supposed to remember. But yeah this isn’t the first time.” She said, “Now tell me your last wish.” She said, desperate to change the subject.

Sungjong continued to stare at her as he wracked his brain for the answers, it was no coincidence that he felt that eery feeling of knowing her before. He didn’t get those feelings without it actually being true.

She sighed, noticing the look in his eyes. “You’re not going to give it up, are you?” She asked him. She slipped her hand out of his and turned away, throwing a snowball at the others to try and avoid it again.

“Why don’t you want to tell me?” He replied. “If you just told me, then I could let it go.” He said, he had gotten sloppy and stuck his head out a bit. She pushed his shoulders down to hide him but not in time before a snowball exploded in his face.

Sungjong’s body shivered, trying to dust off the cold ice, but rubbing it in his face was making it worse. Sae Mi took it upon herself to quickly dust it off before he could stop her and he gently blew his nose out for any snow that went up there.

“Pay attention.” She scolded him, “Otherwise things like that will happen."

He frowned, “It doesn’t matter. Just tell me what I wanna know. I’m done playing this snowball fight.” He said, standing up straight and staring at her.

“Yah! He’s standing up!” Hoya shouted as they pelted Sungjong with snowballs. He didn’t move as the piles of ice hit him over and over again. Sae Mi stayed crouched down, not breaking their eye contact.

Sungjong stood relentlessly, he kept still, his coat feeling a little damp from all the excess water. He refused to look away from Sae Mi first, because he wanted his answers.

“Yah. Stop. He’s not even trying to hide.” Sunggyu said, holding back Hoya’s throwing arm before he could let another snowball go. “Something must be wrong."

“What do you think it is?” Woohyun asked, clearing his hands of any remaining snow so they could be done with the fight and just go back to the dorms and eat something warm.

“No idea. But clearly, something is up. Maybe she confessed to him and he’s mad.” Sunggyu answered, “Let’s just leave them. Sungjong knows the way back.” He said, leading the others back to the dorm where they could dust off and change their clothes.

“Your friends are leaving.” Sae Mi said, she could see them in her periphery and she still refused to look away from Sungjong.

“I don’t care. Tell me. Have we met before?” He demanded of her.

“Is this really what you want your wish to be?” She replied back, “Nothing else?” She said, dusting the snow off her hands.

“Yes. Tell me what I want to know.” He answered, and Sae Mi finally looked down, breaking their eye contact.

She stood up slowly and turned back to him with an intense gaze, “Yes. We’ve met before. We meet every year you make a snow angel.” She said. “I come to visit you when you wish to see me. But you don’t make a snow angel every year, so I miss some years. But mostly, I’ve spent time with you for most of your life."

“Why can’t I remember?” He asked, following her lead as she started to walk away from the snow-filled park and onto the somewhat dry street.

“I honestly can’t answer that. I only stay for as long as you get three wishes and then I have to leave. You’re the one who doesn’t remember, do the math.” She said, “The last time we met it was before you joined your other friends."

“Infinite.” He said, “So it’s been a while then.” He mused, as they walked in silence. “What have we done in the past years?” He asked her.

“Pretty much the same thing. You never really change. You always want a snowball fight. The first wish changes, but you almost always wish for a snowball fight as your second wish.” Sae Mi answered directly. “Your third wish also changes depending on the circumstances."

“So this is my third wish this time?” He asked her, “So you have to leave soon then?” 

Sae Mi held out her hand and the snowflake glistened as it spun, “It is your last wish, but you’re not done yet. What else do you want to know?” She asked him.

“Do you like me? Or is it just pure coincidence that I get the same snow angel every time I make a wish for one?” He said, “My mom told me when I met a snow angel I would know."

“She’s right. We are pretty obvious for this society I think. We are too perky and happy for the usual person.” Sae Mi agreed with a smile on her face. “But as for your other question, I can’t say that I don’t enjoy our time together."

“But?” He said, sensing that there was more to that sentence than she was letting on.

“But, I can only see you for about two days each year you make a snow angel. So how can anything come from that?” She said, finishing her thought.

“I can’t wish you to stay longer?” He asked her hopefully. Sae Mi smiled at him and he tried to return the smile but he could feel the bad news coming.

“Wishes don’t work like that. I have to manage to level up or some other being would need to help me become more permanent, because right now I come with the snow.” Sae Mi answered, the snowflake she was holding in her hand burst as she let out a sigh. “It seems our time is up now.” She said.

Sungjong wrapped his arms around her, “No I want you to stay. I wish for you to stay.” He said adamantly. 

Sae Mi just giggled, “Your wishes are over, Sungjong. I’ll see you next year when you make another snow angel.” She said.

“You promise?” He replied, “I’m gonna miss you.” He pouted.

Sae Mi held out her pinky finger to him, “I promise.” She said and he liked his pinky with hers and they met thumbs. 

“Now, goodbye, Sungjong. Until next winter.” She said, pulling away from him and she faded away before his eyes.

He waved goodbye to her as she disappeared, he smiled to himself. He would remember her this time, and he would keep this happy feeling that she always managed to give him. He needed to remember to let loose every once in a while to relieve the stress that he felt from all the pressure.

He walked back to the dorms and saw the others were all waiting for him. Sunggyu welcomed him and Sungjong easily took off the wet clothes and changed.

“Where’s your friend?” Sunggyu asked him.

Sungjong smiled, “She had to go home. But she said she would see me around eventually."


Author's Note;;
Woot :o LOL. finished this.. 
I know, not my best work >< 
But I wanted to make a threeshot.. >< 
So yeah~ ugh. whatever >< 
Sorry if its a disappointment.