Making up for lost time

My Sister and I

Denise's PoV:

"Your homework tonight is to come up with a way for you families to be supported on a budget," I informed my students. The project I assigned my students today is for them to get into groups of four, the average size of an American family. I gave each family a fixed budget based on their jobs and economic status, and they have to find a way to support everyone based on the income. Afterwards, they must complete a report on it by Monday. Sounds quick? Well, I only want the most dedicated students in my class. That's just how it is.

The final bell rings, signaling the end of the day. The students packed their belongings and headed towards the door. I waited for everyone to leave before going out myself. Surprisingly, I didn't run into Allisson this time, but I did find Kira again. Instead of showing up with Gwen, she came here alone.

"Hey, Denise," Kira greeted. "Gwen couldn't come today. Her son got sick."

"Well, I hope he's okay," I condoled. "How are you?"

"I'm good. Mom is still not budging about having dinner with you guys. She still hated Dad for leaving her."

"She knew from the beginning Dad was married to my mom, so there's no reason for your mother to be angry."

"Exactly. That's what I tried to tell her, but Mom is going to Paris tomorrow for her Dior photo shoot. At least that's what she claims to be doing tomorrow."

"The past is the past. She needs to move on. Has she ever tried dating again?"

"She has, but none of them have lasted longer than a month. The sad part is most of them were really good men. This one named Harvey practically waited on her hand and foot, and my mom still treated him like trash. It's pathetic."

"The only reason she does that is she hasn't gotten over Dad."

Kira sighed and placed her purse on the coffee table. "I know. She's such a sad person." Suddenly, Kira sat down on the couch, placed her hands on her knees and started rocking back and forth, looking up at the ceiling. Then, her eyes moved towards the floor.

Concerned, I asked, "What's the matter?"

"Nothing. Nothing,"

I watched her glance up and peek around the corner. When she turned back around, Kira's ears were turning pink, and she had a smirk on her face. At first, I was clueless about what was going on with her until Wenhan, one of my co-workers, arrived.

"Good afternoon, ladies," Wenhan waved. Before he disappeared around the corner, Wenhan stole a glance at Kira, which resulted in the two of them briefly making eye contact. After he left, Kira covered her face with her hands.

Smirking, I scooted towards my half-sister and poked her in the shoulder. "Kira, what was that all about?"

Kira peeked through her hands at me.

"Do you like Wenhan?"

She nodded.

"Well, from what I hear, he's not married or anything. You want me to set you two up?"

"You'd do that for me?"

"You're my sister. Of course I would."

Kira placed her arms in her lap to reveal a smile. "Thank you Denise. For a second I thought you'd be mad if you thought I was only here to see Wenhan."

"Are you kidding me? I would totally understand. Wenhan is gorgeous."

"Denise, you're engaged!"

"I'm going to be married, not buried. Anyway, tell me how this happened."

"While Kira was explaining to me what happened yesterday, two things were roaming through my mind. For one, this sounded a lot like a plot from one of those Korean dramas my future sister-in-law likes watching so much. Second, it felt nice to have a sister to share stories with. All my life, I was an only child with absolutely no one to connect with, so this really made me smile inside.

When Kira was done, she leaned back on the couch and sighed. "I've never felt this way, Denise. Ever. Falling in love really does feel nice."

"In love? You just met this man a day ago."

"I know, but I felt a real connection with him that day. I think this could be the person I spend the rest of my life with."

"The only connection I could imagine you two having that day is him knocking you back into your seat. Did you have a concussion or something when Wenhan bumped into you?"

"The only thing Wenhan did to me when we collided was make my heart beat out of my chest."

I rolled my eyes and laughed while Kira danced around in the middle of the lobby, completely oblivious to the attention she was attracting.

"I've got an idea. You want to spend some time together? Like sisters?"

"Um, sure. I guess I can do that. I'm just going to text my fiancé​ to let him know."

"Wait a minute," an irritatingly familiar voice interrupted. Allison pushed through the crowd, which began to disperse, to confront us. "Did I hear you correctly? She's your sister?" She pointed at me and starting laughing. "You can't be serious. How is that possible?"

"We have the same father, but different mothers," Kira coolly responded. "Our father is Japanese."

"Huh? Well, I guess these are pretty decent mixes. You think I'll have a cute baby with an Asian?"

"Yeah, sure. Whatever."

Allisson giddily clapped her hands and said, "Then I'll try to hook up with Wenhan." before skipping down the hall like a little girl.

Kira glanced at me with an irritated expression on her face.

"I know," I say. She didn't have to explain it. It's as if we can read each other's minds even though we're just getting to know each other. I guess it comes naturally to siblings.

"If she's thinks she can take Wenhan from me, she's got another thing coming."

"She won't. I'll make sure of it. Where do you want to go?"

"Um...Starbuck's?"

I smiled at her before texting my fiancé​ about our plans.

Go for it," it read. Have fun. :D

"Dongwook's fine with it. Let's go!"

"Who's Dongwook?" Kira asked.

"My fiancé."

Kira picked up her purse from the coffee table and headed towards the door behind me.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm currently working on the next chapter in my notebook. Please check out my other stories. I'll be updating on Pandora's Box soon.

Thanks for reading!! ☺☺☺