Introducing Kira

My Sister and I

I just won another case, and I couldn't be in a better mood than I am now! I met my friend, Gwendoln, outside as we celebrated.

"When are you going to stop?" she asked. "You are, like, the MVP of our law firm. You really made that woman rich, Kira!"

"I know, right? I left that loser with nothing but a lint ball and a half-empty box of mints," I cheered. "Serves him right for cheating on her. Divorce cases are always my favorite, Gwen."

"Why? Divorces are really painful and end really ugly. I mean, not that I would know personally since Ian and I have been married for 2 years!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Must you always throw your marriage in my face, Gwen?"

"Don't be jealous, Kira. You would know what it's like, too, if you bothered to go on a date every now and then." 

"Actually, I am going on one this afternoon."

Gwen tugged on my arm in anticipation and squealed like a teenage girl, "Really? Who? Is it someone from work?"

"My mom. She made reservation for us."

"Oh." Gwen dropped my arm and scoffed. "And to think I believed you were actually talking about a man."

"Would it be so bad if I've never found a man? I have goals to reach, and a man would only get in the way of that."

"You say that now, but sooner or later you'll get lonely at the top. All of that success means nothing if you don't have anyone to share it with."

"Whatever you say, Gwen. I've gotta go. See you tomorrow."

"Bye, Miss Uptight."

I chuckled and shook my head as I went to my car. I pulled up to the parking lot of La Boca where a valet came up to meet me. He opened the door for me and got in the car to park for me.

"Thank you," I tell him as he drove off. I went up to the receptionist and asked for a Diana Morris, my mother.

"She's over there, the man informed me as he pointed to a blonde woman wearing Chanel shades and an Alberta Ferreti sitting at table 10. 

"Thank you." I headed over to meet my mother, who greeted me with a hug.

"Oh, Kira, it's so wonderful to see you," Mom smile. "Come have a seat, dear."

I sat in the chair across from her and smoothed out my skirt.

"So, I heard someone won a case. Congratulations."

"Thanks, Mom." 

"Oh, stand up straight, dear." When I complied, Mom continued. "Were you and Gwendolyn going to go celebrating? I hope I didn't put a damper on your plans."

"You didn't. She was just telling me to get a man as usual."

"Well, do you think she's wrong? At least that's one thing I can agree with her upon."

"Mother, would it be so wrong if I never have a husband. Susan B. Anthony never married and she turned out all right."

"Yes, but when the generation after you doesn't reproduce, the bloodline ends. And when are you going to dye your hair yet?"

"I dyed it chocolate brown."

"That's still too dark. Why don't you want to go blonde like me? Your hair reminded me too much of your father when it was jet black. Your eyes are green like mine, so why don't you go a step further?"

"Mom, what really happened between you and Dad?" I'm half Japanese, but my mom constantly urges me to look more like her. Because that, I always had a feeling she's not telling me something.

"I hate it when you do this, Kira. Why don't you just stop asking me this? I already told you he left me when you were 5, so just let it go."

"Why did he leave, Mom?"

"Kira, this conversation is over. I don't want to talk about this anymore, and don't bring this up again. Garçon." Mom ordered the lobster and 2 Greek salads. "Would you like anything else, Kira?"

"Could I also have a glass of water and créme bruleé?"

"Will that be all?"

"Yes," my mother answered.

The waiter left us alone to get our food.

"Kira, I'm sorry I snapped at you earlier. I just don't like talking about your father. I'm aware that you're half Japanese, but I just don't know if I can handle that yet. The features remind me of your father, and I can't stand him for leaving us." 

"So you want me to look more white because you have a grudge against Dad for leaving?"

"Oh, grudge is such an ugly word. I prefer disdain.

The waiter returned with our order and placed a glass beside me to pour the water.

"But that's not why I brought you here."

"What is it, Mom?" I asked.

The waiter left the jug behind as he left.

"There's a strong possibilty that you could have a sister," Mom gasped.

"Are you pregnant, Mom?"

Mom threw her head back and laughed. "Don't be silly, Kira. My childbearing days are over."

"If Halle Berry can pop out a kid at 47, it's possible for it to happen to you at 49."

"Hm, I guess you're right about that. Anyways, I'm not talking about me being pregnant. I'm talking about the woman your father left me for. Her name is Phylicia Rashad, and the girl's name is Denise."

"How did you manage to find out about all of this, Mom?"

"When your father left me, I learned that he was already married to a woman named Phylicia with a daugther named Denise. She's 3 years your senior."

"Well, where can I find her?"

"She's a professor at Harvard. Denise teaches economics, but don't think of interrupting one of her classes, Kira. Try waiting for her and catch up to her."

"All right, Mom." The thought of me having a sister I never knew I had is completely mind-boggling. I wonder what she'll be like...

_________________________________________________

Thank you so much for reading this, guys!! Please feel free to read my other stories.