No turning back

My Sister and I

Narrator's PoV:

Today as finally come. The day of which Kira will finally, after all these years, come face-to-face with the man who fathered her. She never imagined this day would come any sooner. However, now that it has, the Eurasian woman was beginning to have second thoughts. It's not that she didn't want to meet her father, per se, but she was worried about not being accepted when she tells him. Last night, Kira did her own research about her father. Raymond Kobayashi was his name. He used to be a popular, world famous deejay before opening hsi won record company. That helped Kira get a better idea of who her father was, but what it didn't tell her was what happened between him and her mother. This is what she hoped to find out.

Suddenly, her phone vibrated. Kira looked at the screen to see that it was Denise. Smiling, she picked it up from the counter and pressed the button for the speaker.

"Hey there, Denise," Kira greeted.

"Hey, Kira," Denis replied. "Today's the big day. Are your ready?"

"So-so."

"Why? What's the matter?"

"I'm just worried about stirring up trouble. I mean, does your mother know about Dad having an affair with my mom?"

"I don't know any more than you do, Kira. Do you want me to pick you up?"

"All right. Do you remember where I told you I lived?"

"Down the street from Starbuck's, then make a left, right?"

"Yes."

"I have good news! I talked to Wenhan for you. I asked what he thought of you, and he told me he would like to get to know you better. He also asked me to ask you if you were available for a movie next weekend."

"What time?"

"Eight-thirty."

"Eight-thirty if perfect."

Kira missed most of what her sister said next because she was dancing around the living room. Her giddiness was cut short, however, when she stubbed her big toe against the coffee table.

"Kira, did you hear me?" Denise asked.

"Sorry, Denise," Kira groaned. "I was dancing around the living room until I stubbed my toe."

"That's what you get." Kira imagined she was punching Denise in her arm while she laughed at her. "I'll be there in a little bit to pick you up. See you then." Denise ended the call while Kira limped to the patent leather chair and sat down to massage her toe.

"Oh, well," Kira muttered thinking of how much fun she and Wenhan would be. It was a dream come true. Twenty-six years of being by herself would finally come to a screeching halt. No longer will Kira have to bury herself in her work to hide her loneliness.

 

Ten minutes later, as promised, Denise signaled her arrival by honking the horn from inside the BMW. Kira, waking up from her nap, looked out of the window to see the black car and dashed out of the door with her keys.

'Hey, sis," Denise greeted when Kira opened the passenger's car door. "Ready to go?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," Kira replied after entering the car and closing the door.

Denise immediately drove down the street and turned right.

"Has Miss Allisson been trying to come on to Wenhan today?" Kira asked, a slight tone of irritation in her voice.

"Not that I know of," Denise answered before making a left. "And even if she was, it probably would've gone unnoticed by him. He only has eyes for you."

Kira glanced over at her half-sister and smiled. "Have you told Wenhan anything about me?" she asked.

"I told him your birthday was June 18," Denise began, "you're favorite color is blue, and you've got a current obsession with Oh My Venus and Boys Over Flowers."

"Those shows are ruining my life," Kira complained. "I barely got any sleep last night. I kept telling myself, 'Just one more episode, then I'll go to sleep. Why did you introduce me to them?"

"I didn't think you'd like them, let alone have the time to watch them because of how busy you are with that case. How's that going so far, by the way?"

Kira sighed and said, "That man is a guilty as sin, Denise. There's not way I'm going to win this one. I don't know if I want to keep going."

"Why do you say that?"

"New evidence has surfaced against my client. A flash drive of ography was found in his car seat. He's going down, which means I can kiss my perfect streak goodbye."

"Don't be hard on yourself. I mean, I'm not excusing what he did, but I'm sure everything happens for a reason. Just let everything come into place."

Kira smiled at her sister's encouraging words before relaxing in her seat. She was still unsure whether or not she was going to win, but that just made her want to fight even harder. Or should she?

"By the way, Dongwook didn't want to come over to dinner?" Kira asked.

"Dongwook has been over to my parents' house many of times," Denise assured while touching up her eye shadow at a stoplight. "One night of his absence isn't going to kill them. Besides, Se7en is working on some new music at home.

Kira laughed as Denise pulled up when the light turned green. "How in the world did that man come up with that stage name?"

"He believes it's supposed to be a lucky number," Denise answered.

"Well, it must be if he constantly keeps cranking out great music like that. Dongwook is so talented."

The sisters were silent for the rest of the drive, both consumed with concern. How were Denise's parents going to react when they discover Kira's relationship to her? Will this damage Raymond and Phylicia's marriage since the latter most likely knows nothing about her husband's affair, let alone the resulting child?

Suddenly, Denise's car came to a screeching halt, snapping Kira our of her daze. Kira felt her heart racing and her palms sweating bullets. Despite this feeling, it didn't deter her from wanting to see her father, the faceless man who brought her into this world. There's no turning back now.

"Ready?" Denise asked.

"More than anything," Kira replied.

The sister opened their doors almost in synch, with Denise reaching back for her batch of steamed dumplings she promised. This was it!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Keep going!!! >>>>>>