The Case Of The Direwolf

Fallen Haven

Location: Alux

There was an eerie feeling, as Kyungsoo walks along the dark corridors. Suddenly, Kyungsoo stops for a second and turns around finding no one around. Of course no one would be around, Kyungsoo shrugs. The students were all still probably in the colosseum, practicing for the battle game tomorrow with the teachers and fellow Aluxian trainers accompanying them. Kyungsoo hated training so he decided to skip today's lesson and instead made his way towards the Aluxian library to find some information about black magic, which Baekhyun bugged him for last night. 

 

Turning the knob, Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows. "It's locked."

 

Kyungsoo releases his grip on the knob and sighs. It was no use. If the library was locked then there would be no other possible way to enter... Then suddenly, a rat hole in the corner of the wall catches Kyungsoo's attention and causes him to smile, slyly. Kneeling down, Kyungsoo looks through the hole, deciphering whether or not it leads to the library. "It might just work."

 

Kyungsoo then looks around the corridors making sure that no one was around, before transforming himself into a small rodent with an elongated tail. In an instant, he races through the rat hole, looking for a way out. When he does, Kyungsoo escapes and enters the library, before reverting back to his original self. Feeling a little light headed, Kyungsoo leans against a chair to maintain his balance. Shapeshifting always made Kyungso feel lightheaded even if it happened only for a couple of seconds. 

 

When Kyungsoo begins to calm down, his eyes draw directly at the rows of books. Staring in awe, Kyungsoo sees the whole library filled with old ancient books. There were rows and rows of books. In fact, there were enough books to reach the ceiling!

 

"It's gonna take months... to find a book about black magic." Kyungsoo sighs, running a hand through his hair. Just staring at the books made him feel exhausted. 

 

-

 

Location: Antheia

"Careful." Luhan says, as he approaches Sehun with a smirk on his face. "You're brushing hair... not seaweed."

 

Sehun laughs, as he takes the comb out of the Peryton's hair an faces Luhan. "Don't you have something better to do than make jokes? What happened to taking care of the gardens?" 

 

"I think they can manage without me... it wasn't like I was any help though, I damaged a couple of plants while doing my job." Luhan replies, taking the comb from Sehun's hands and brushing the Peryton, himself. "Besides, she might run away if you kept brushing her hair like some kind of lunatic."

 

Sehun laughs, before he diverts the subject. "Did you have a good sleep?"

 

"I've slept better." Luhan replies, caressing the Peryton's gold locks. "I guess I'm just not used to this type of athmosphere... It's my first time here. Antheia that is."

 

"Really?" 

 

"My dad's not really into the idea of me going to different kingdoms... He says it's not safe out here. You don't know how long it took for me to convince him to let me go to university." Luhan explains, letting out a sigh. "I'm guessing it's your first time here too?"

 

"How'd you know?"

 

"Please, you're not even dressed properly... Of course, I could tell. Who wears leather boots and amor to farm and take care of animals?" Luhan replies, giving Sehun a judging stare. "We're in Antheia not Alux."

 

Before Sehun has a chance to reply, a loud thump is heard along with a scream. Turning his head towards the direction of the sound, Luhan sees Lay laying on the ground. "Lay? Are you okay?" 

 

"Yeah, I'm fine!" Lay replies, standing up and patting off the dirt on his body. "Just chasing some chickens... so if you'll excuse me."

 

Shortly after Lay gets up on his feet, he begins to chase after the chickens that had run off on him. After running around in circles in search of the chickens, Lay had decided to give up. However after he spots a chicken, Lay follows closely behind and enters a barn located a couple of meters away from their base camp. 

 

"Gotch ya!" Lay cheerifully exclaims, after catching the chicken with his bare hands. Before he heads out, however, he notices an old statue reseameling an old Antheian hero, who had died during the battle between the kingdoms. Leaning in closer to examine the figure, Lay seems an alluring aura and before he knows it, he suddenly begins to extend his arms towards the statue.

 

As soon as Lay's hands come in contact with the cold, dusty statue... it's eyes suddenly pop open.

 

-

 

Location: Leluya

With Chanyeol still in the infirmary , Baekhyun laid ontop of his bed in silence. Getting attacked by a huge sea monstar wasn't exactly what he had planned to do on this trip... Closing his eyes, Baekhyun tries to find peace and quiet to get rid of his negative thoughts, when suddenly his phone begins to ring. Jumping out of the bed, Baekhyun answers the call. 

 

"Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?" 

 

Baekhyun hears laughter over the phone. "Speak for yourself."

 

"Why'd you call, Jongdae?" Baekhyun replies, smiling. 

 

"I missed you and I figured you might have missed me too."

 

"Well, it's true." Baekhyun states, before taking a deep sigh.

 

"What's wrong, babe?" Jongdae questions. "You don't sound too good."

 

"It's just... It's nothing."

 

"It doesn't sound like it's just nothing. Did something happen? Are you alright?"

 

"I'm fine." Baekhyun replies, changing his position so that he was now sitting on top of the bed. When Baekhyun hears footsteps approaching, he quickly hurries the conversation. "Really, I'm fine. I have to go, I think Chanyeol's back."

 

"Okay, I love you."

 

"I love you too... See you soon." Baekhyun replies, as Chanyeol enters the room. After the call, Baekhyun hangs up and turns to face Chanyeol with a worried look on his face. "Did you get your wounds treated?"

 

Chanyeol nods his head, showing Baekhyun his arm that was now wrapped in guaze to prevent his cut from bleeding any further. "I told them I was alright, but they insisted on casting my arm... I told them it was pointless."

 

"It's not pointless, Chanyeol." Baekhyun replies, standing up to examine Chanyeol's arm. "You're the dumbest person, I know. Do you know that? Who else would risk his life to kill some sort of sea monster? That was pretty brave of you."

 

Chanyeol smirks, ruffling Baekhyun's hair. "I don't know if that's supposed to be a compliment or not but thanks... I think."

 

"Don't you think this cast makes me look tough? Do you think it'll attract-"

 

Baekhyun laughs, before slapping Chanyeol's arm. "I can't believe you, Yeol... You almost died and you're still joking around."

 

"Just trying to lighten the mood." 

 

"Yeol, what do you think really happened back there?" Baekhyun asks, a little worried. "I can't help but feel worried about it. I tried to think of positive thoughts but I can't. Somethings not right and I just-"

 

"Hey, it's okay." Chanyeol says, pulling Baekhyun into his embrace and running his fingers through Baekhyun's fine hair. "You don't have to feel scaried. Nothing's going to happen okay? I'm here and I'll protect you... I'll always be here for you. Just like when we were kids."

 

"'I'm really glad that you're okay." Baekhyun replies, placing his head ontop of Chanyeol's chest. "I don't know what I would've done if something happened to you."

 

Chanyeol smiles, as he tightens his grip on Baekhyun. "I'm here right now, Baek... I won't leave."

 

-

 

Location: Alux

"I've been looking for you everywhere!" Jongin pants, placing his hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder to keep himself from falling. Running around the building in search of Kyungsoo was exhausting. "We have a serious problem. It's urgent-"

 

Raising an eyebrow, Kyungsoo laughs. "We?"

 

"Monggu's gone-"

 

Kyungsoo's jaw drops. Kyungsoo was so suprised that he accidently dropped his books on Jongin... Although, he really didn't feel that sorry about it. "What?"

 

"... that hurt." Jongin yells in pain, as he holds up his foot and caresses it. "Anyways, I can't find him-"

 

"Her."

 

"Right. I can't find her anywhere." Jongin replies, nerviously playing with his fingers. "I've looked for her in the room, thinking she was just playing hide and seek... but I really can't find her. She must've escaped through the window or something-"

 

"Jongin you're in some deep ." Kyungsoo replies, picking up his books from the floor, before placing them in his backpack. "Come on, the sun's setting, let's go find her before... before something happens."

 

"She's not big enough to cause trouble... Monggu's only 6 months."

 

"We don't know that for sure... You never know with Direwolves." Kyungsoo explains, taking a quick wiff to smell if the Direwolf was close. Frowning, Kyungsoo speaks. "She's not in the building..."

 

"She's outside?" 

 

Nodding, Kyungsoo makes his way to exit the building, with Jongin following closely behind. When the two exit the gates and enter the forest, it becomes to dark to see anything. "I still can't believe you'd be stupid enough to- I can smell her. She's close."

 

"Kyungsoo, watch out!" Jongin says, as he takes out his sword and slays the animal that had plans of potentially killing Kyungsoo. With his sword, Jongin sticks the dead body of the snake and holds it up for them to examine. "What is it?"

 

"It's a tie-snake." Kyungsoo concludes, after taking a careful examination of the creature. "It strikes it prey at night and strangles it to death. Then brings the dead body back to the mother, who devours it. Since it's a baby, it only drink the blood-"

 

"Baby? It was huge!"

 

"The mother's twice the size. Trust me, I've taken Animal-ology." Kyungsoo explains, looking around the forest in search of the Direwolf. "Come on, she's not far from here."

 

Nodding, the two continue their seach for the Direwolf. Jongin comes to a sudden stop, when he sees a nest on the floor with one large green egg with rough patches on it. "What's this?"

 

"Jongin we don't have time for-" Kyungsoo yells, before turning around to find Jongin leaning down to examine the egg. Fascinated, Kyungsoo stares in awe. "That's a..."

 

Suddenly, Kyungsoo sees a large Bugbear, approaching with long, heavy steps. The Bugbear was massive and destructive as it was distantly related to goblins and hobogolins. It was hairy and stood at exactly 7 feet tall. It's claws were not long and sharp enough to be used as weapons and instead was equipted with protective armor and a large hunting stick. Even from a distance, Kyungsoo could clearly tell that the Bugbear was upset. 

 

Stepping back, Kyungsoo speaks softly. "Jongin, we should leave-"

 

"Why? I think it's fascinating-"

 

"Jongin, now." 

 

"Kyungsoo, I get it. Let me just-"

 

"Jongin watch out!" Kyungsoo shouts, when he sees the Bugbear swing his hunting stick towards Jongin.

 

Jongin dodges the hit and runs full speed to a nearby bush to take shelter in. Running as fast as lightening was another perk of being a descent of Bia. Taking a heavy breath, Jongin turns around and finds the Bugbear approaching. Taking his sword out from his belt, Jongin waits until the Bugbear nears before Jongin begins to attack. 

 

When Jongin hears footsteps approaching, Jongin grips tightly on to his sword, preparing himself for battle when suddenly the sight of his baby Direwolf comes into vision. Jongin's overwhelmed with the emotions of fear and suprise, as Monggu jumps on him and his cheeks, as form of affection. "I've been looking everywhere for you! Where have you been?"

 

A loud growl, causes the Direwolf to hide behind Jongin in fear. Sighing, Jongin whips out his sword again, as he comes towards the Bugbear with his sword close and Monggu trailing close behind him. 

 

"It's not going to die from a sword." Kyungsoo states, backing away as the Bugbear nears closer towards them. 

 

Jongin feels his blood rising, as he stands up and faces teh Bugbear with a furious, vicious look on his face. "Then how do we kill it?"

 

"We don't."

 

"What?"

 

"You can't kill a Bugbear, Jongin." Kyungsoo replies, recalling something his proffesor had told them in class. "It's not possible... The only thing we can do now is to-"

 

"Jongin, get Monggu to bark!" Kyungsoo states, hurridly as he finally notices the Direwolf hiding behind Jongin's legs. "Hurry! Bugbears are afraid of dogs... It's stupid, but it's true! If we can't kill it, at least this will get us back to camp... alive."

 

"Monggu, bark!"

 

A whimper comes from the Direwolf.

 

"Monggu, I said-"

 

Before Jongin has a chance to complete his sentence, the Bugbear swings his stick, striking Jongin in his ribs. Pain explodes against the side of Jongin's rib, causing him to land harshly on the ground. The Bugbear juts the stick again towards Jongin's direction, but this time Jongin successfully dodges the hit. With this, Jongin climbs up a tree and lands on top of the Bugbear, before directly hitting it on the back of it's head. The Bugbear lets out a loud cry, before struggling to remove Jongin from his shoulders. 

 

"Monggu!"

 

When the Bugbear sucessfully removes Jongin, it then grabs onto Jongin's collar and picks up the latter, with a sinster grin on its face. Opening his mouth, the Bugbear exposes its enormous, dirty teeth. Jongin almost wanted to barf, noticing the remainings of a bird's body and feathers inside of the Bugbears mouth. 

 

"Forget it." Kyungsoo hisses, concentrating as he transforms himself into a large, fully grown Direwolf. "I'll do it myself."

 

Opening up his mouth, Kyungsoo lets out a loud bark. The earsplitting noise echoes through out the forest... even causing some of the birds in the tree to flutter away from their nests and find comfort somewhere else. Instantly, the Bugbear releases his grip on Jongin before retreating back into the deep part of the woods. 

 

The last thing Kyungsoo could remember was a flock of birds heading west before he ultimately sees pitch black. 

 

-

 

Location: Antheia

"Hey, Kris have you seen Lay? I have to ask him about some herbs that I need to treat a couple of animals." Luhan says, carrying with him a basket of herbs and berries. "I haven't seen him anywhere."

 

"I saw him a while ago." Kris replies, wiping the sweat from his forehead. Unlike Luhan, who had the job of helping to take care of the animals, Kris had to work in the scortching sun, plowing the farm. "He seemed a little... out of it."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

Kris shrugs. "He seemed different. I called him to ask for help and while he was helping me, he had a wierd look on his face."

 

"Maybe he's just sick?"

 

"Sick?" Kris scoffs. "Lay has never been sick. Ever. I has the healthiest immune system on the planet. I think somethings going on... but he doesn't want to tell me anything."

 

"Just give him time, maybe he'll come around." Luhan replies, taking a deep sigh. "Well, I should probably let you get back to work, I need to leave anyways. Tell me if you see him. I really need his help."