02 The Morning Of The Beginning

Ms. Perfect Meets Mr. Optimist

A ring from her phone pulled her from her sleep and she blindly felt for her mobile phone. She opened an eye and saw the message that just came in, a smile automatically drawing on her lips. Shutting it off, she dropped it to her side together with her arm as she closed her eyes once again. She gave herself a few more seconds before she opened an eye to check the time on the digital wall clock which read six o’clock.

Just in time.

Closing her eye once again, she took a deep breath before opening both pair. She propped herself to a sitting position before swinging her feet off of her bed. She stretched her arms up to wake her up. Combing her messy hairr back, she walked to her bathroom.

She did her normal morning routine of brushing her teeth, washing her face, and bathing before changing into a pair of denims and polo shirt before pulling a sweater over her head. She dried her hair before tying it up to a ponytail.

She wasn’t someone to use make-up so much since she finds it troublesome to apply and remove afterwards and the feeling it gives her. Instead, she resorts on putting foundation powder alone and that’s it. She also doesn’t like putting anything on her lips but because her mother always tells her to put something since it was usually chapped, she had to use lip balm.

It was exactly six-thirty when she was finished and ready to go. She grabbed her necessities before walking out and locking her door. A maid carrying freshly washed towels bowed to her in greeting.

“Good morning, Miss.”

“Good morning.” She returned a nod and a soft smile before walking off.

Reaching down the stairs, a few more maids met her and greeted her. She did the same but before she could greet the last maid she saw before she could reach the dining area, the door to her father’s study opened and the maid immediately bowed his way and scurried away.

She bowed her head in greeting. “Good morning, father.”

Her father looked her over making her anxious. It was a normal thing especially on mornings when her father is present. He always checks how she presents herself and she knew she was in trouble that morning.

“You outfit looks lazy. Change into a different one before leaving,” he said in his normal firm voice and she nodded her head.

“Yes, father.”

Once her father turned, she swallowed before following him to the dining area.

There, her mother sat at her usual chair at her father’s right.

“Good morning, mother,” she greeted, bending her head a little.

“Likewise. Have a seat,” her mother replied and she sat down to her father’s left but before she did, her eyes looked at the empty chair beside her and held in a sigh. She was already used to the empty seat but she never stopped waiting for the day she would see it occupied.

Not wanting to be reprimanded, she divert her attention and waited for her parents to begin eating before grabbing her spoon and chopsticks and eating. They sat and ate in silence until her father spoke up.

“Don’t forget about the charity ball tonight. Have you prepared the speech I told you to do?” Her father said without looking up from his meal.

Neh, abbeoji,” she replied.

“Don’t be late. A lot of important personalities will be there,” her father reminded and she nodded in reply.

“I won’t, father.”

Her hold to her spoon tightened as she hesitated. There was something she wanted to tell them, although she knew it wasn't needed. She already know what they would say but she still wanted to try.

Taking a deep breath, she placed her spoon down.

“Father,” she began, “there’s an upcoming convention to be held two weeks from now in China and I was chosen to be one of the three representatives of our university…” She swallowed, “It will be for—“

“I've heard. Well, you should. You’re a part of this family, after all,” her father cut her off and she pressed her lips together. “I’m sure a lot of influencial people will be there so make sure you present yourself properly.”

As expected, her father didn’t care whether she will be gone for three days or even weeks, as long as it will be beneficial for them.

Swallowing, she replied, “Yes, father. I will.”

She looked forward and momentarily met eyes with her mother whose gaze was unreadable before she averted gaze.

She excused herself then and left the room, biting her bottom lip. Following what her father said, she changed into a flower printed dress shirt, tucking it to her pants. Hoping she didn’t look ‘lazy’ anymore, she left her room.

Her father has just left the dining room and was about to enter the master’s bedroom when he saw her. He gave her glance before entering his room.

She took a deep breath and sighed before walking out of the house.

“Good—“ A man in her early twenties greeted but stopped when he saw the gloomy look on the girl’s face, giving him an unsettling feeling. “Or maybe not… Is everything okay?”

Jinhae forced on a smile and nodded her head, “Good morning, Kangjoon oppa.”

Kangjoon gave her a skeptical look, eyebrow rising. Jinhae shook her head, a small smile still on her lips as she pat Kangjoon on the arm.

“I’m okay as I can be. There’s nothing to worry. Now, we better get going before we both run late,” she said, and took a step to get on the passenger’s seat when Kangjoon stepped in her way, surprising her.

“You’re going the wrong way, Miss,” he said, making Jinhae’s eyebrows narrow in confusion. Kangjoon subtly nodded his head, a signal he knew Jinhae would understand as they’ve been together for so many years since their childhood.

“Ohh, right.” Jinhae then took a step back and Kangjoon, like he would always do, opened the door for her and she got in. From the windows, she saw the young man bowing and she knew that her father has just gotten out of the house.

She let out a sigh of relief.

Seconds later, Kangjoon entered the car, eyes meeting with Jinhae’s through the rearview mirror.

“Sorry,” she said.

Kangjoon shook his head, a reassuring smile on his lips. “It’s okay. Now I understand why.”

“No, it’s not—“

“Shall we go?” He cut her in, knowing she would just be denying it when it was already obvious.

She sighed and nodded.

“Thank you…oppa.”

Kangjoon looked up to see the young lady looking down on her lap and he softly smiled. Trying to lighten up at mood, he cluck his tongue.

Asa! One free meal for me!” He said cheerfully, startling Jinhae a little as she looked at him. It took her a few seconds before she realized what he meant and a small smile appeared on her lips.

For Jinhae, it didn’t matter if she had to treat him every single time she thanked him because one meal isn’t even enough for everything he had done for her.

“Lunch, call?”

Kangjoon looked up through the rearview mirror and did thumbs up, grinning.

"By the way, here," Kangjoon reached over the passenger's seat and grabbed an envelope, passing it back to Jinhae. "I already signed it."

Jinhae grabbed it and a faint smile came upon her lips. "Thanks." She pulled the paper out of the envelope. It was the letter regarding the convention that she was supposed to give her parents but she knew it was useless and she was already used to giving every single letter ever since she was in high school to Kangjoon.

Kangjoon watched her from the rearview mirror and sighed inwardly to himself. If only he could do more, he would've but right now, all he could do is stay by her side, and he will until the day he could no longer do so. 

Although he never hoped for a day to come when he no longer needed to stay by her side.

 

“Park Chanyeol!”

The said boy groaned and rolled over his bed. He wasn’t able to sleep early the night before because their game ended past two in the morning so waking up wouldn’t be so easy for him. Well, he simply isn’t much of an early person either.

“Yah, Park Dobi! Aren’t you going to get up?!” His sister, Yoora, shouted from the other side of the door.

“Hmm…” He mumbled, hugging his pillow closer to him. He loves his sister, really, but sometimes, she tends to get too loud.

A minute passed in silence as he heard his sister’s footsteps walking away before he sighed in relief. He thought he could finally go back to sleep when his phone started to ring by his nightstand. Groaning, with his eyes closed, he felt for his phone and grabbed it.

Blindly, he swiped the answer button. He was already an expert on it.

“I just called to remind you to go by Minseok hyung’s—Are you still on your bed?”

“Mmmm…”

“YAH! IT’S ALMOST EIGHT IN THE MORNING!”

“IT’S ALMOST EIGHT! MOM SAID IF YOU DON’T GET UP, YOU’LL MISS BREAKFAST!”

His eyes snapped open when both said the time, shaking him awake.

“WHAT?!” He pulled the phone away from his ear and checked the time on his screen, cursing under his breath when it was already seven-thirty.

He heard a sighing over the line. “You freaking stayed up playing again, didn’t you?”

“I’M COMING OUT!” He shouted to his sister before going back to his phone. “Kinda,” he grinned shamefully by himself and he could picture Kyungsoo rolling his eyes at him. “I’m gonna go get ready now. I’ll see you—“

“So typical of you. Whatever. Don’t forget to go to Minseok hyung and get the music sheets you left at his place yesterday because of your idiocy,” Kyungsoo reminded.

He couldn’t even care about how Kyungsoo just insulted him because one, he was all so used to it, it was like a norm, and two, the time is ticking and all he could think of is the forty-minute bus ride to get to Minseok’s university and his class starts at nine.

“Oh sht sht sht! I almost forgot about that. Okay, okay. I’ll really have to go. Thanks for the call. Bye,” he hung up and scurried to get out of his bed.

As fast as he could, he washed up and went to the dining area where his parents and sister were already eating breakfast.

“Chanyeol—“

“Mom, I would really love to eat breakfast but Kyungsoo’s gonna kill me if I don’t get the music sheets from Minseok hyung so I would really need to skip it today. Sorry,” he said while rummaging through the fridge for a bottle of water.

“Well, I knew you’d say that so I’ve packed you bibimbap. You should at least—“

“Really? Wah! You’re really the best mom! Thank you!” He hugged his mother from the side and kissed her on the cheek.

“Shouldn’t you get going now? If you’re still going go to meet Minseok, then you should leave now,” his father said without looking at him; his hand busy from choosing what should enter his mouth first.

“Riiiiiiiight,” he exhaled, checking the time from his wrist watch. Stealing a spoonful of rice from his sister who glared at him, he went to give his mother a quick hug before racing to the front door, shouting, “See you later!”

His mother watched him go, a soft smile on her lips as she shook her head, “That kid never grew up.”

 

“I’ll see you after class?” Kang Joon asked, arching an eyebrow as he rounded the car to her side.

She nodded. “Uhm… I have a project meeting until four this afternoon so just do whatever until then. I don’t want you waiting up for me again in the car.” She pressed her lips to a thin line.

Kang Joon smirked, “It’s my job—“

“But my parents aren’t around,” she quickly cut in, and Kang Joon sighed, raising his hand up in surrender.

“Fine. I’ll be here quarter to four. Same place. Contact me if ever you get off early,” he said.

“Okay,” she replied, smiling.

“Promise?”

“Promise,” she said, sighing to a smile.

He grinned. “Alright, see you.”

“Hmm,” she nodded and watched him walk over to the driver side and enter. The window rolled down to the passenger’s side and she ducked her head a little.

“Don’t tire yourself too much and have fun,” he smiled and she nodded, smiling back.

“I will. Take care,” she said, waving and Kang Joon smiled once more before rolling the window back up. She watched the car until it was at least a few meters away before turning around.

She was near the entrance of her building when a familiar face came to her view, standing by the door. He smiled up to her and she did the same.

“Good morning, Jinnie—Oh I mean, Jinhae,” he grinned.

“Good morning too, Minseok sunbae,” she replied, smiling.

“Heading to your first class?” He asked and she nodded.

“You? Are you waiting for someone?” She asked, out of courtesy and because Minseok has been really a good sunbae to her. Having small talks like that was already normal.

“Actually—“

“Minseok hyung!” Minseok’s head turned to the direction of the voice and a smirk formed on his lips as he waved his hand up while Jinhae looked around, surprised with the loud and deep voice.

“I am, and the giant is here,” Minseok smirked as he turned back to her. She squint her eyes but the guy was too far away for her to see but she could tell that the guy was really tall, at least taller than how Minseok was. “Ja, I’ll go see you later,” he said, giving her a smile before jogging over to his friend, as she assumed.

She nodded, glancing over their direction once before turning and walking inside the building. She still has more or less ten minutes to go over her class notes, although she was quite sure her seatmate wouldn’t even allow her to.

 

“How could you be so careless as to leave your piece for your assessment today?” Minseok playfully rolled his eyes, handing the boy pieces of paper.

Chanyeol grinned. “That’s Chanyeol for you,” he winked and Minseok smirked.

“Quit it. If people see you doing that, they might think,” he shuddered, “I don’t even want to talk about it.”

Chanyeol laughed in that obnoxious way of his and Minseok looked at the people who had turned their way and he grimaced.

“Okay, okay. Enough. Go now before Kyungsoo kills you for being late,” Minseok said, pushing the boy away. Chanyeol looked at his watch and his eyes widened.

“CRAP! One hour!” He stuffed the papers to his bag before giving Minseok and pat on the arm. “I’ll see you later hyung. Thanks!”

Minseok watched the boy as he ran his way out of the gates. He smirked, shaking his head.

“Park Chanyeol...The free spirited Dobi.” 


A/N:

Hi my dear readers! How are oyu all doing? I know it's been while. Please forgive me *bows*

Anyhow, this chapter is basically just a look through their lives before the official meeting. Hope it wasn't so much of a bore. I'll update as soon as I can! 

Thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting! It's greatly appreciated! ^^