Flashback

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everything seemed to happen so fast. Shortly after Jongdae enrolled in the military, he was taken away for basic training. Everyone missed him dearly, especially because Christmas was fast approaching. The holidays were sure to be bittersweet, marking Jaxon's first Christmas, his family's first Christmas in their first house, and everyone's first Christmas without Jongdae.

**

Jaxon had turned Baekhyun into an early riser. So it was no surprise the little 8 month old was crawling around on the floor, having the best time of his life in the wee hours of the morning while Baekhyun watched. 

Despite the early hour, Baekhyun chuckled at his youngest child's enthusiasm. The 24 year old cradled a mug of steaming coffee in his hands. As excited as he was to get back to school next month, Baekhyun loved being a full stay at home mom for the time being. 

He didn't want to miss any of Jaxon's important milestones. 

Baekhyun sat quietly on the couch and smiled. Jaxon was even more curious than Mina had been at that age. It had taken Baekhyun and Chanyeol a good while to baby proof every inch of the house since Jaxon got into everything. 

At that moment, Aladdin sauntered into the living room from the kitchen. The 2 year old Boston terrier yawned and stretched. 

"Aladdin, I told Mina to put you up. Have you been out all night?"

The dog walked over to Jaxon in response and sniffed him. Aladdin was a friendly dog but Jaxon hadn't quite warmed up to Aladdin yet. 

When the terrier his face, he burst into tears. When Jaxon cried, it was impossible to sleep. He loved to scream and he was good at it. He took after Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun put his coffee on the coffee table and hurriedly picked up his son in the hopes of silencing his cries. But it was too late. Chanyeol and Mina had both been awakened and the latter was not happy about it.

"Shh. It's okay." Baekhyun soothed as he gently bounced Jaxon on his lap. 

The young baby simply screamed in response. 

Mina covered her ears and whined, "Mommy make him stop." She was seriously regretting having a baby sibling. 

Chanyeol yawned as he sat down next to Baekhyun. Used to being woken up early, he just reached out for Jaxon to give his husband a break.

"Go to daddy."Baekhyun kissed Jaxon before handing the dark haired baby over to his father. 

The change in Jaxon's demeanor was almost instantaneous. His screams simply turned to sniffles as Chanyeol hugged his son to his chest.

Jaxon rested his head on Chanyeol's shoulder and babbled his little baby talk. The 8 month old seemed to have a new favorite parent every other day and that particular day it was Chanyeol. 

Once Mina saw Baekhyun's lap was free, she climbed right into it. Jaxon really did capture the majority of their parents' attention and being the older sister, she couldn't help but feel jealous at times. 

Baekhyun welcomed her into his lap. He didn't have to ask her what was wrong. She was feeling a little jealous. It was obvious. 

"Can I go back to being an only child?"

Baekhyun shook his head. "Absolutely not."

"You'll appreciate Jaxon one day." Chanyeol piped up. Jaxon was no longer crying in favor of playing with Chanyeol's shirt 

"When?" Mina pouted. 

"When he's old enough, he'll watch out for you. And hopefully scare away any boys that try to come near you."

Baekhyun chuckled. He was imagining Jaxon growing up to be as tall as Chanyeol. No doubt he would use his height to his advantage to watch over his sister. 

"Yeah, he loves you. You're his sister. I know you love him too." Baekhyun agreed.

"Yeah but he's so annoying." She whined.

"That's his job." Chanyeol teased although Mina didn't seem happy.

Thinking of something to say that would make her feel better, Baekhyun said, "Christmas is a few days away and I have a lot of errands to run. You can spend all day with me while Jaxon spends the day with daddy."

Finally, a smile spread across her face. It was rare for her to get either of her parents alone. 

"I like that." She smiled and her parents laughed. 

But the attention didn't stay on Mina for long after Jaxon stared out the window and started laughing. 

"Dada! Dada!" He repeated to get Chanyeol's attention. 

Baekhyun's eyes widened as did Chanyeol's. Jaxon just said his first word.

"Oh my god, he said dada!" Chanyeol exclaimed as he kissed his son. 

Baekhyun pretended to be upset. "That's not fair. Mina's first word was no and Jaxon's first word was dada. Why can't mama be our children's first word?"

Chanyeol laughed. "We can have another baby and hope it says mama first. If not, we'll just try again."

Baekhyun laughed. "Shut up. We're not having any more kids for a while."

Chanyeol shrugged innocently. Nothing was better than creating another life with Baekhyun. "Just a thought."

Jaxon continued his "dada" mantra until Chanyeol finally understood why his son wanted attention. The 8 month old was looking over Chanyeol's shoulder with wide fascinated eyes.

Baekhyun, Mina, and Chanyeol all turned around to see what excited him. 

Mina stood on her knees to face the big window behind the couch.

"It's snowing!" The 6 year old exclaimed. The snow had strangely been delayed for a while and that particular snow marked the first of the winter.

"You're right." Baekhyun murmured. The snow was falling steadily from the cloudy white sky. It landed on the bare branches of the trees and on the grass. 

"It's Jaxon's first snow." Chanyeol added. No wonder the baby was so fascinated by it.

"The first of many." Baekhyun stated. That was a huge understatement. They lived in Boston, a place where snow frequented. 

Baekhyun knew he needed to run to the mall and the grocery store as soon as possible. Who knew when the snow would stop falling and he didn't want to get stuck at home with no food or Christmas decorations. 

"Come on, Mina. Let's get ready quickly so we can go out."

"Can we play in the snow when we get back?" She asked hopefully. Baekhyun nodded and grabbed her hand. He led her upstairs but not before turning back around to face Chanyeol, "There's milk in the fridge and don't you dare let the house get messy. We'll only be gone for a few hours."

"Yes sir." Chanyeol smiled. The 24 year old sat with his son and watched the snowfall. The snow was already beginning to fall quicker to earth. They would have a few inches by the end of the day for sure.

Because It was something he had never experienced before, Jaxon desperately wanted to go out in the snow

"When mommy and Mina come back we can all play in the snow together." Chanyeol kissed his son's cheek as the young baby watched his sister and mother walk into the snow to get to the car.

Jaxon placed his little hands against the window to continue watching the snowflakes. Jaxon got bored of things easily but it would be a while before he got tired of seeing the miracle of a snowy day. 

**

Baekhyun had the radio tuned to a local radio station and was listening to reports about the approaching snowstorms in Massachusetts. In the midst of listening, he realized he wasn't the only one anxious about the snow and anxious to run errands. 

Everyone was out and about, after hearing about the storms. They were especially anxious to get to the grocery stores in preparation for the harsh winter ahead. As a result, downtown Boston was full of traffic and Baekhyun cursed under his breath for all the downsides that came with living in such a big city.

As the snow fell steadily and his windshield wipers rushed to keep his windshield clean, he listened to the radio. 

"For the upcoming week, it seems like travel into the New England area will be next to impossible as will travel out of this area due to heavy snowfall."

Mina listened to the radio along with Baekhyun. Neither of them liked what they heard.

"What about Uncle Zitao and Yifan?" She wondered, visibly upset.

Baekhyun shook his head as he inched the car forward. "It doesn't sound like they'll be able to make it." He was equally crushed by the news.

Aside from pictures and video chats, Baekhyun and Chanyeol hadn't seen their friends in 6 months. To find a happy medium, Zitao and Yifan were planning to spend the week of Christmas in Boston and the week of New Year's in China. Because of the hazardous weather conditions, coming to Boston was seeming less and less of a possibility for them.

Baekhyun had been excited for his friends to come visit because he had big plans for his first hosting stint at his Christmas party. All of his friends and Sung-Woo were supposed to come over Christmas evening. He had it planned weeks in advance and everyone was well informed. It was supposed to be perfect. 

Mina's face fell. "What about Uncle Jongdae?"

"I don't think he can make it either." Baekhyun responded sadly. He hoped to at least hear from Jongdae soon. But Baekhyun learned not to expect too much. Jongdae had severe restrictions on phone calls and practically everything else. Getting a phone call from him was a rare treat.

"Is Christmas ruined now?" Mina wondered and Baekhyun smiled reassuringly. 

"No, sweetie. Everyone else is still coming over. We'll have a great Christmas." He said confidently. 

"Really?" She brightened at the confident tone of her mother's voice.

"Really." Baekhyun confirmed as the traffic picked up the pace and they finally approached their first stop, the mall.

As he pulled into the parking lot, Baekhyun regretted procrastinating in the purchasing of Christmas decorations, especially when the snow continued to fall harder.

He ushered Mina inside to get out of the snow. Although the storm was beginning to brew outside, many people were still out and about in the mall. Most of them were like Baekhyun and were looking for last minute decorations or looking for last minute presents. 

Catching a glimpse of a giant decorated tree in the middle of the shopping center, Mina couldn't wait to help decorate their own tree.

Baekhyun didn't have time to gawk at the big decorated tree, however. He was on an important mission that involved leading Mina into a popular Christmas decorations store. He wanted to get back home as quickly as possible. 

Grabbing a cart, he moved swiftly. He threw in decorated stockings, ornaments, wreaths, garlands, and more. By the time he was done, they had everything they needed to make their first house as festive as possible for Christmas. 

After their mall stop, they made a grocery store stop. Baekhyun felt it necessary to get enough food to last quite a few days since he wasn't sure when the snow would let up.

In addition to groceries for his family, he picked up groceries for the upcoming party. He had quite a bit of cooking ahead of him and needed to be prepared.

Although it was rushed, Mina enjoyed the alone time spent with her mommy. She had been his little helper, picking up the things he told her and putting them in the cart as directed.

After the trip, Baekhyun felt it had been a success. And by the time he drove them back home, it was a little before noon. It was a good thing they'd arrived home before noon because the snow was now coming down increasingly heavier and it made visibility terribly poor.

"Did you buy the entire store?" Chanyeol teased as Baekhyun set all the groceries as well as all the Christmas decorations on the table in the kitchen.

"Just about. Have you seen how bad the weather is?"

Chanyeol nodded. "Yifan called me by the way. His and Zitao's flight got cancelled."

"I figured." Baekhyun murmured. Despite assuming his friends weren't coming to visit, the confirmation just made it worse.

Suddenly, as if to remind them of something important, Jaxon started kicking his feet and banging his hands in his high chair. 

That's when Chanyeol remembered, "We'll go out and play in the snow after putting up the groceries."

Baekhyun nodded and picked up Jaxon. He kissed his son and placed him on a blanket in the living room.

"Mina!" Baekhyun called for his daughter who came down from upstairs. 

"Will you play with Jaxon for a second and make sure Aladdin stays away from him?"

"Fine." She pouted. There were a lot more fun things to do than watch her brother. 

"Thank you." Baekhyun kissed her too and went back into the kitchen. He and Chanyeol put up the groceries as quickly as possible. They were just as excited as the kids to go out and play in the snow.

It didn't matter that they were both 24 years old. They were still kids at heart no matter what.

After putting up the groceries, the taller of the two became curious about the Christmas decorations. He opened a random bag to see what Baekhyun bought. The bag consisted mostly of a bunch of sparkly Christmas knick knacks but he still reached in the bag and smirked. 

He pulled out a mistletoe decoration and used his long arm to hold it above his and Baekhyun's heads.

"It's tradition." The tall man smiled.

Baekhyun looked up and laughed. But he couldn't argue with tradition. He leaned in and placed a quick peck on Chanyeol's lips.

The younger seemed upset. "That's all I get?"

Baekhyun smiled as Chanyeol put the mistletoe back into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter