Prologue

Miracles

"Yah! Hurry up, hurry up! We're going to be late!" Mai, my best friend and roommate, screamed at me from the front door.

 

I hastily grabbed my coat from the couch and ran towards the door. 

 

"Did you bring your scarf? It's getting chilly outside already." She asked as she took out her own scarf and wrapped it around her neck.

 

I nodded and took out my own scarf as I finished putting on my shoes. "Let's go then." I grabbed her hand and started running down the stairs. 

 

"If you weren't such a sleepyhead then we wouldn't be running." Mai complained as I dragged her.

 

I snorted, "Says the girl who called in sick just to get a few more hours of sleep."

 

"Haeri-unnie told me to do so in case I needed to sleep. You know how much we work whenever a big event comes up." She explained. 

 

I nodded understandingly. Ever since we migrated to South Korea, Mai has been working non-stop to get a job in a broadcasting company. Being fresh college graduates, we didn't have a lot of things we could put in our applications besides our school achievements and talents. Mai studied at the same time in another college, therefore it's hard juggling between work and study especially with the notice we receivved earlier this week.

 

Our apartment's rent increased its rent since it was bought by another real estate company. A lot of our neighbors complained about the unfair rent hike, but the company representative had all the papers, charts, and presentations to answer the angry tenants, us included. The company was planning to change the apartment complex into a luxury apartment.

 

Half of the tenants were already looking for other apartments, some already left. Others, who had the money to pay, stayed and enjoyed the immediate renovations the company provided them. 

 

But Mai and I were troubled. We didn't want to leave the apartment since the school, the broadcasting company and my work place were just situated within or nearby the area of our apartment. We tried looking for other places, but either there were no available apartments or the price was too expensive.

 

Since we were just earning right with our current jobs, and we didn't want to impose on our parents, we decided to apply for part-time jobs to earn for our rent expense. While Mai worked in a broadcasting company, I worked as a cashier and waitress in a cafe during the day and study at night. 

 

"Soo Jin-ah, come on. We're right here." We stopped in front of a large building, which was swarming with fans waving their banners. Mai dragged me towards a door in the back building which was guarded by a security personnel. She showed her id to the guard, and then proceeded to drag me inside the building.

 

"Ah. Wait here." We stopped in a hallway. "Don't go anywhere. I'll be right back. I'll talk to unnie first. Don't move, arasso?" Mai said before turning around. knocking on a nearby door and walking inside one of the rooms.

 

I waited for her, but not without looking around. The hallway was filled with at least 8 doors, each labeled with a sign taped to the doors. People were bustling in and out of rooms, trying to move past people lingering and moving through the hallways. I sighed and adjusted my coat, wondering what the part-time job will be this time. Since the cafe owner decided to renovate the deisgn of the cafe, I had the whole week off. Mai was already busy with her work, and I didn't want to add to the burden so I asked her if she knew of any available part time jobs I could apply to.

 

And now I'm here.

 

And I still have no idea what job I'm supposed to do. 

 

Feeling the sudden urge to pee, I looked around trying ot find the comfort room when a sudden weight slammed against me and sent we sprawling to the floor.

"ACK!"

 

"Ahh!"

 

My glasses got knocked of my head. Damn, now I can't see. "I'm sorry miss. I'm really sorry. Yah! Be careful!" A faint outline of a person bowing repeatedly appeared in front me.

 

"It's fine, it's fine." I said reassuringly, trying to look for my glasses. 

 

"Hurry up and go to the hall! I'll help her.. Miss.. let me help you." 

 

I heard a sound of shuffling feet and suddenly, I was lifted up from the floor, my glasses suddenly pressed to my palms. 

 

"Oh, thank you..." I put on my glasses and bowed to the guy who helped me.

 

"No... Ah... I really apologize for what happened." He bowed pofuresly.

 

"It's okay, sir. Accidents happen." I smiled up at him. 

 

He scratched the back of his head and gave me an embarassed smile. "Well then, have a nice day. Be careful." He waved at me and jogged away. 

 

I inspected my arms and legs to see if there were bruises or scratches but fortunately there was none. I tried to walk to check if I was okay when I stepped on something.

 

'Ah...' I picked the object up. 

 

'Someone must've left it.' I looked around to see if someone was missing the item. No one seemed to be looking for something or even paying attention to the item.

 

"Soo Jin-ah!" I heard Mai scream.

 

I turned to her and smiled. Mai gestured me to hurry up and come over. I stared at the item on my hand and put it inside one of my coat's pockets. 'I'll ask someone later to help me find the owner..'

 

Mai grinned as I got nearer. "Unnie!" She called inside the door. "She's here!" 

 

A tall, beautiful girl walked out of the room. Her hair was tighted neatly into a bun with a few loose strands nicely decorating her face. Her make up was divine - not a single speck was out of place. She wore a simple cream-colored sweater and tight black pants. I immediately bowed back when I saw her smiling at me and bowing in greeting

 

"You must be Soo Jin Lee-sshi? I'm Kim Hae-Ri. Mai told me all about you, especially your make up skills." I groaned and glared at Mai, who smiled sheepishly. 

 

"I'm guessing you know have an idea on what your job will be?" Sora laughed. I shook my head hesitantly, still unsure.

 

"Your job would be a make-up artist." My ears perked up. At least it was something I was sure I won't screw up on.

 

"For who?" I asked. Crossing my fingers that it wouldn't be someone demanding, or someone high-profiled who can easily fire me. 

 

"The new SM boy group, EXO."