Final: Mine

Clamare

 

CLAIM:

-demand something as entitlement: to demand officially something that somebody has a right to or owns

The Latin word clamare,"to call," from which claim is derived, is also the source ofEnglish acclaim, clamor, exclaim, and proclaim.

 

 

Attachment-1.gif

 

 

 

 “Have you seen him? Oh my gosh he’s such a hottie!!!! Kyaaa!” a girl said as she excitedly sat down.

 

The rest of her friends giggled in response. Clearly, all of them were on the same page regarding the newest eye-candy of the campus.

 

Seohyun tried to be oblivious to the commotion. It’s not like she’s eavesdropping or so but the conversation was loud enough for her to overhear the entire thing. Her nerves were raging up and she had to instruct herself to take several deep breaths to calm down. The last thing she needs is to act as the possessive, overbearing, and possibly insecure girl. Good thing her best friend Yoona is beside her to act as her conscience.

The librarian tried to hush the students, but even so, the conversation never stopped. She could still hear her hoobaes gushing over the newest professor. She pretended to be engrossed in some books or act as if she’s too preoccupied with her term paper (which, she only recently remembered, was due this Friday) but her grip on her favorite fountain pen turned into steel as soon as the girls started to “spazz” about the professor once more. She glared at her friend who looks like she’d pass out any second from keeping her laughter to herself.

“Mianhae. But I can’t help it. It feels like any second now, smoke would steam out of your flaring nose. Yah, you could do yourself a favor by just telling them the truth you know?” Yoona whispered, still trying desperately to stifle her laugh.

Seohyun just huffed and rolled her eyes. Yeah right. As if she’d ever do that. Especially not in this setup. This isn’t how she envisioned for the big reveal. For a moment, her jealousy and anger has pacified, but it flared up again when the hoobaes continued with the topic of the new psychology professor.

 

“He looks so dreamy! Just like those perfect male leads in dramas. OMG I’m so excited to be in his class!!!” another girl, one who wore a bright pink ribbon, squealed.

 

“Lucky you! I tried to sign up for his class but all slots were full. Seriously girl, it was a warzone back there! It felt like The Hunger Games times a hundred. I just got my nails done and had I known it’ll be chipped off like that, I should never have stepped foot inside the Admissions Office.” Another one from the group replied.

 

“You’d think it was some idol boy band conducting their first solo concert with the way his class slots were filled in less than five minutes.” A guy (who was trying to ask out one of the girls in the group) snorted.


“But can you blame us? I mean, it’s not every day that the board presents a hottie young stud as a substitute professor in Psychology. I am so happy that Professor Han is on maternity leave! Who knew the heavens would bless us with this!” someone else from the group sighed.

 

“Plus, I heard he’s like, super smart. He graduated at the top of his class, both in high school and college. He got his degree and masteral from Stanford, comes from a wealthy family, a true gentleman, and here’s the greatest part. He’s the leader and main vocalist of an indie pop-rock band! OMG!!! HOW AMAZING IS THAT? HE’s so perfect and too good to be true!!!” the bubbly one squealed.

 

“Not to mention, he’s only twenty-six years old!!! OMG!!! He’s soooo young yet so talented and smart!” another added.

 

“I heard he’s rich too. Kyaaa!” someone piped in.
 

The fangirling continued and Seohyun swears she could feel her claws digging their way out. She tried to tune her mind and hearing out of the group discussion but her blood pressure escalated to its highest level as soon as she heard the flirty hoobae said,

“OMG I wonder what his body looks like underneath all those expensive three-piece suits…I’d love to run my tongue in those washboard abs of his and….”

“That’s it! I’ve had enough!” Seohyun screamed inside her mind as she closed the hardcover book she held and purposely created this banging noise while stacking it all up and stood from her seat. She could hear the librarian’s warnings but she couldn’t care less as she continued her tantrum by creating this grating sound while moving her chair. She knew she was being childish but what the hell. Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned. Or did she get the quote right? Whatever. She could hear her friend make apologies in her stead and though deep down she was thankful and she knew she’d be lectured later on, she decided to be selfish even this once.

“Calling the attention of ALL Seoul International University students to please proceed to the main auditorium. Everyone is required to attend the general assembly. Representatives from each major and department will check attendance….”

The speakers blared the generic announcement. Most of the students groaned. It was that time of the year wherein the university conducts its international conferences, inviting foreign guest speakers, notable alumnis, and/or prominent figures for a three hour seminar about career opportunities and what not. In other words, it was merely a snooze fest.

“Aish. BORING.” Someone commented. Another began to yawn.

“It won’t be boring this year. I heard Professor Jung is one of the main speakers of this event!!! KYAAAA! ” the girl with the pink ribbon squealed, giving hopes to the rest of the female population who heard that.

The fangirling and dreamy sighs began again, much to the irritation of one specific student.

“DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.” her friend nudged her elbow hardly.

“What? I’m not thinking anything.” she replied.

“I may not be your best friend since birth but I’ve known you long enough to decipher what that smile means, Seo Joohyun. Just don’t.” Yoona warned.

“They started it.” Seohyun complained.

“And you take it as your responsibility to put an ‘end’ to it?” Yoona challenged her back.

“You’ll just have to wait and see.” Seohyun smiled that innocent, angelic smile of hers as she looped their arms together and made their way.

Seohyun may have the face of an angel, but when it comes to some things (or people…or person…or just someone named Jung Yonghwa), her inner mean girl will find her way out.  No matter what the cost. Unfortunately for these hoobaes, a y sunbae is the last thing they need. Especially if said sunbae still has a few months left before graduation.

 

 
Attachment-1.gif
 
 

The first two hours were as boring as the students predicted, but as soon as Professor Jung’s name and photo appeared onscreen while he was being introduced to the entire student body, the cheers were deafening. Seohyun gritted her teeth as she could hear some girls scream their lungs out, even going as far as declaring their love for this professor they just met and so on and so forth.

“The hell? Do they think this is his fanmeeting?! What’s with the cheap banners and orchestrated chants?! What’s next? They’d throw their underwear too? Along with their sanity?! Aish jinjja!!!! It’s time to put these wannabes in their rightful places.” She thought angrily.

She purposely waited until Professor Jung was in the middle of his topic before executing her last minute plan.

She smoothened her skirt, fixed her hair as she confidently strode her way from the backstage towards the center where said Professor was busy conducting his speech. She could hear her own professors hiss their disapproval, trying so hard to catch her attention and some even attempting to take her off the stage. Of course she was smart enough to dodge their attempts, and even if they tried, she wouldn’t let them have their way.

“…In contrast to the medical model is the psychological perspective, which holds that psychological disorders are caused and maintained by past and present life experiences. This perspective asserts that mental disorders result from negative life events such as prolonged illness, stress, physical and ual abuse, divorce, poverty, war, the death of a loved one, peer rejection, and chronic failure. Today, most psychologists and psychiatrists believe that mental disorders are caused by a combination of biological and psychological factooor…..”

A sound of collective gasps filled the place as a college girl obviously collided with Professor Jung, interrupting his speech midway. Whether intentional or not, said student dropped her thick hardcover books on the professor’s foot, causing him to yelp in pain.

“Ha. Serves you right for insisting to take this job. You pabo.” She smirked at him evilly in between her “Omo, mianhaeyo seonsaengnim. Jeongmal jeosonghamnida..” statement of apology coupled with “regretful-looking” bows.

Jung Yonghwa didn’t miss the glares he received from her, but he tried to maintain his professionalism as he played the part of a true gentleman (minus that split second instance wherein he slapped her behind). Once he finished helping her up, she casually made her way down the stairs and acted as if she didn’t just cause a scene. She purposely took her time to walk, feeling every pair of eye watch her move, enjoying, at the same time, feeling agonized over being the center of attention, as she began the mental countdown.

5…

4….

3….

2….

1….

 

“WAIT!!!!” he yelled. His voice echoing inside the spacious hall.

She tried to act all scared, startled, and panicky, but deep down she was smiling in victory. She could hear the girls’ rude and mean comments but she knew that before the minute ends, she’s the triumphant one in this competition. The prize of which, is none other than a certain Psych Professor named Jung Yonghwa.

Seohyun continued on with the act (complete with the shaky hand gestures) as she halted her step. She could hear him adjusting the microphone back into his level. Her back was still facing him and she didn’t have any intention to look towards his way. She shut her eyes, bit her lips, and consciously ordered her body to produce some sweat (which, obviously, was a fail) to complete the act. She tentatively opened her eyes at the same time that he decided to speak. He cleared his throat twice, and the entire student body waited in suspense as he finally uttered the words that she knew would seal her victory:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I LOVE YOU.”

 

 

 

 

It felt like the entire place was filled with an eternal silence. Just to make his point across, he repeated those words thrice. Or perhaps even more than three times until he got the reaction he was hoping for. Her shy smile and that cute blush. Add in her nervous tucking of hair behind the ear sort of gesture.

His voice was so gentle, so sweet, and so hopelessly romantic. The best part is? He’s hers alone and now, the entire university is aware of that. If only she didn’t feel all gooey inside, she’d probably pump her fists in the air.

The crowd erupted in murmurs, cheers, gasps of horror or surprise, dreamy sighs, and wishes that they’d get their own Professor Jung.

Jung Yonghwa turned back to his colleagues (the guest speakers) and nodded towards the board of directors, that goofy smile painted on his face. He motioned for the crowd to simmer down as he flashed that cheek-bursting grin while saying,

“Just in case you’re wondering, and I know you all are, I’d love to introduce to you to the woman I’m spending the rest of my life with. That beautiful girl over there? Yeah, the one who bumped into me a while ago? That’s my wife, Seo Joohyun."

She was blushing and giggling shamelessly. She forgot about the sanctions the two of them would face (most likely him being fired) because of that revelation. Who cares? Even without facing him, she knew that he held up his hands as if in an act of surrender, then motioning to the ring on his fourth finger, as he spoke loudly once again and said,

“I told you girls I’m taken. And not just for now but for the rest of my life. I’d like to keep it that way.”

Seohyun finally turned her head towards his direction and winked at him before making her way back to her seat. She looked towards those hoobaes and gave off that y signature smile of hers. Yoona finally let out a hearty laugh.

“See my friend. THIS. This is how you stake your claim.” Seohyun said.

Her friend, and the rest of the students who heard that, couldn’t agree more.

 

 

 

The End.

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

Description above and parts of the “speech” taken from:

Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

 

P.S.

#5YearswithYongseo

<3