The Past (part 2)

Fate

“Woah… the stars are so pretty,” she gasped the moment they reached the top and saw hundreds of stars glistening in the sky.

Eunjin have always liked the view of the night sky. With its vastness that seems to have no end, the stars which doesn’t seem to stop from shining, and the moon with all of its different phases. She loves watching them every night. The view is so breathtaking she almost wanted to tear up.

“It’s so pretty isn’t it?” she asked Taemin without taking her eyes off the magnificent view of the night sky.

“Hmmm,” she heard him hum in agreement. “Very.”

When she finally took her eyes off the sky, she noticed Taemin staring at her with those two pools of brown eyes that keep mesmerizing her.

“You meant the stars right?” she asked just to make sure they were thinking the same thing but Taemin’s thoughts were not of the stars or the moonlight or the night sky. Because Eunjin would still be the prettiest thing he ever laid his eyes upon and he wanted her to know it.

“No, I meant you.”

She averted her eyes while hoping the darkness was enough to hide her blushing face.

“Eunjin-ah…” he said after a while.

“Hmmmmm?” she asked.

“Do you remember the time when we were young and I asked you if I can kiss you? You said we shouldn’t and you promised you’ll let me kiss you when we grow up. Do you remember?”

Eunjin blushed deeper and she still couldn’t look him in the eyes. Taemin cupped her face with the palm of his hands and forced her to look at him before asking, “Will you let me kiss you now?”

The Taemin in front of her seemed different than the Taemin she used to know. And she still couldn’t decide if she likes the change. Since when did he become this bold? This cool? This awesome? This perfect?

Without waiting for a response he lowered his head into hers and claimed her lips for a lingering kiss. For the first time in Eunjin’s life she felt really special and loved. It was as if he was telling her he loves her without speaking a single word. She could feel his feelings overflowing.

“I love you,” she heard him say. “I guess I always have.”

Eunjin didn’t have to speak the words to let him know that she feels the same way. The happiness was written all over her face and Taemin was glad to know he could make her feel that way.

However their happiness was short-lived because their perfect night didn’t end the way they hoped it would.


 

They heard footsteps coming from the stairs. A man was saying, “Did you hide the corpse well?” The other man said yes. It didn’t sound good and everything about their conversation spells danger. Taemin pulled Eunjin to the furthest corner and they hid behind a big crate. Her heart was pounding in her chest and she was shivering in fear. Even Taemin’s tight grip in her hand wasn’t enough to calm her down.

“The goods will be arriving tomorrow.” The man who seemed to be the leader said. They took a peak from the hole between the crate and the wall. There were three of them, all wearing scary faces – the kind which she only sees in action movies. One of the men was holding a lamp that could illuminate the entire rooftop. Eunjin suddenly appreciate the darkness more.

Please don’t let them see us,” she kept repeating the same words inside her head.

“Make sure everything goes well.” The leader said again. They were obviously planning something illegal. And they wouldn’t hesitate to kill anyone who would get in their way.

“Neh, hyungnim.”

“Now, where did you put those guns?”

“Over here.” The footsteps came closer and Eunjin had a sudden realization that the crates where they choose to hide actually hold the guns the men were talking about. As the footsteps came closer, the fear inside her tripled. The only thing that keeps her from screaming is Teamin’s hand over .

Taemin was desperately trying to look for another place to hide but there was none. They we’re going to get caught, Eunjin knew.

Please… don’t let them see us,” she prayed again but it was useless. The footsteps are coming closer and closer and they didn’t have anywhere else to hide.

“Yah! There are kids here!” The man finally noticed them. They have the element of surprise on their side and Taemin put it into good use. He was holding a bottle of water and before the man could react, he splashed the contents on the man’s face.

“Run Eunjin-ah!” Taemin commanded. She sprinted towards the exit, with Taemin right behind her however there was another man blocking their way.

The man who was now soaking wet after Taemin gave him a water bottle splash was right behind them. The man caught up with them but Taemin gave him a punch before he could brace himself. It was a pretty strong punch which drove the man on his knees and curl up on the floor due to the pain. He didn’t expect the blow probably because he didn’t expect two kids to be tougher than they look.

“You little son of a-“ he cursed.

Taemin faced the other man who was blocking their way. He wears an expression close to amusement and it made him look scarier in Eunjin’s opinion. He also seemed to be much stronger than the first.

The man grabbed Eunjin’s arm harshly and she yelped in pain. It pissed Taemin off and he showered the man with punches which didn’t do much damage. The man was too strong even for Taemin. His one hand was holding her in place while his other hand was throwing punches at Taemin. One punch hit Taemin hard and it made him fall back on the floor.

“Taemin!” she gave out an ear-piercing scream when she saw Taemin on the floor. The irritated man covered with his hand to shut her up. She tried to struggle, kicking the man with all her might but it didn’t do much. The man was strong and Eunjin was terrified.

“Shut up ,” he cursed.

Taemin was still on the floor groaning. “Please… let her go,” he begged.

Eunjin was shaking, tears were streaming down her face. She blamed herself for everything because if it weren’t for her selfishness, her stubbornness and insistence to watch the stars, they wouldn’t be there and Taemin wouldn’t be in pain.

The weaker man who was previously curled up on the floor after Taemin knocked him out is now back on his feet. He came closer to Taemin and pulled him up on his feet only to give him another blow.

“This is for earlier,” he said before giving Taemin another strike. Taemin fell on his knees, doubled back in pain, and started coughing up blood. One blow was followed by another one. She couldn’t stand by and watch anymore. She wanted to close her eyes and wish they were somewhere else but here. Every blow breaks her heart and Eunjin wished it was all just a dream, a nightmare.

Taemin wasn’t asking for anything else. He only wanted the men to let her go. They can kill him all they want but Taemin would never let them lay a hand on Eunjin. But who is he kidding? There he is on the floor, bleeding and close to dying. He wanted to be stronger and not be the pathetic boy that he is.

Eunjin’s cry was muffled by the man’s hands on but Taemin could see pain and fear in her eyes. He couldn’t let her watch all of these anymore. He kept begging the men to let her go but all he got are laughter and jeers.

“Enough.” The leader who pretty much didn’t do anything said, “Finish them off. They probably heard everything so we can’t just let them go.”

Eunjin saw one of the men taking out a gun. He aimed it at Taemin and Eunjin panicked.

Oh, God… please no…” she prayed. Eunjin kept struggling no matter how futile it was because she couldn’t just stay still and watch the love of her life die right in front of her eyes. She didn’t know if it was because the man got tired of restraining her or maybe he was planning on killing her anyway that he let his grip on her loosen but Eunjin didn’t really care. She just wanted to reach Taemin’s side and hold him to assure herself that he’s fine, that they are both going to live.

However before she managed to reach his side the gun went off. She stopped, frozen in shock and before she knew it she was falling on the floor and the love of her life dying right in front of her eyes was the last thing she remembered before everything went completely dark.

 

Taemin felt a burning pain as soon as the bullet went right through him. Either the man who shot him was really stupid or he was just lucky that he missed his vital parts because the bullet only scraped the side of his stomach so it didn’t kill him instantly. He was bleeding hard though and he knew that if he couldn’t make it stop he might die from the loss of blood.

Taemin didn’t care anymore if he died at that moment. He just wanted Eunjin to live. That wish seemed pretty hard to come true though, Taemin thought bitterly.

From the corner of his eye he saw Eunjin faint. It was right after the sound of the gunshot. When he turned to look she was already on the ground. He stretched out his arm in his attempt to reach for her but the pain didn’t allow him to even touch her hand. Then for the first time in a long time, Taemin cried.

If I didn’t make it tonight at least please let Eunjin live, he prayed.

The pounding in his head is becoming unbearable. He can hear sirens in a distance. He could hear the crazy men shouting at each other like they were in a panic. More men appeared in the darkness but Taemin couldn’t make out who they are. He could feel his consciousness slipping away. He looked at Eunjin for the last time and before he passed out he made a silent desperate plea to let them both live so they could at least celebrate the fact that on that day he made Eunjin his.