Fateful Encounter

Fate

It was like how she usually sees it in the movies. The girl would trip on her own two feet, the guy would be at her rescue almost instantly, they will lock eyes, smile stupidly at each other, and then eventually they would fall in love. She thinks it was cliché but that’s exactly how it happened (although probably not as romantic as it sounds).

Eunjin wished the ground would open up and swallow her whole the moment she tripped and dropped the grocery bags she was carrying and it made too much noise as they scattered on the ground making all eyes land on her.

The guy who helped her up (her supposed to be knight in shining armor) was the last person she would expect to be there at that particular point in time while she was making a fool of herself. But fate just had to be cruel and she found herself face to face with the guy who was then holding out his hand for her to take.

She fought the urge to swat his hand away and mutter something close to ‘I’m fine. Don’t need help’ because she figures sitting on the ground, aching and cheeks turning bright red from embarrassment could very well constitute to needing help. So she took his hand (which was surprisingly warm in contrast to her cold and sweaty ones) and gaped at the guy who gave her a heart-stopping smile as she placed her hand in his inviting ones.

Once she was back on her feet, the guy turned his attention to the grocery items littered on the floor which she dropped while she was on her way to the most embarrassing moment of her life. She studied the man as he was picking up the groceries she dropped. He was wearing a hooded jacket which was pulled up over his head. From afar she probably wouldn’t have recognized him but up close she could perfectly see the familiar face hidden behind that heap of hair and hood.

She was still stupidly staring when he gave her back the groceries. “Here,” he said.

“Thank you,” she muttered while taking the items back from his outstretched arms.

“That’s it? Just thank you?”

“W-well… what else should I say?”

“I don’t know. Maybe, ‘it’s nice seeing you again’?”

Before she could have the chance to reply two more guys came joining them. One has pink hair (yes, pink - the color which could never look good on a guy but surprisingly looks good on him) covered by a hoodie (which purpose is to probably hide his too-bright heap of pink hair) and a pair of sun glasses covers his eyes. The other one was wearing a pair of reading glasses, a cap on top of his head which covers his auburn hair, and a goofy smile on his face.

“Do you know who she is, Taemin-ah?” The pink-haired guy asked.

While flashing a smile that made her heart flutter for some unknown reason, Taemin said, “Yes. She’s my girlfriend.”

Eunjin suddenly felt the urge to punch that silly smile away from his face. It infuriates her that she couldn’t tell him to shut up and go to hell because technically it wasn’t a complete lie no matter how ridiculous it may have sounded to her ears.

 

3 years ago on a sunny Sunday morning, she was walking through the streets of Seoul on her way to meet a friend when she noticed a guy among the busy crowd who kept staring at her with an incredulous look on his face. She was about to cross the street and was waiting for the stop light to turn green when she saw him for the first time. There was something peculiar about the stranger- familiar and yet strange.

He's handsome with chocolate brown hair, brown eyes, and a freaking beautiful smile. She noticed because he was smiling at her as if they’ve known each other for the longest time although she was pretty sure she couldn’t have known him.

However, for some odd reason, there was something about him that feels so familiar that she couldn’t get the urge to look away. The look on his face was hypnotizing that she suddenly found herself staring back.

“Have we met before?” she asked.

“You tell me,” he replied.

“I guess not.” She shook her head trying to shove the feeling aside.

The light signaled for the pedestrians to cross. Both of them stayed where they were oblivious to all the people passing by. It was enough that they were both staring at each other without a care in the world and honestly it felt wonderful and amazing. However, what he said next surprised the hell out of her.

He gave her a shy smile and asked, “I’m on my way to an audition and if I make it will you go out with me?"

Her mind was screaming, ‘He's crazy’ because no one in his right mind would propose to a stranger and expect her to say yes. But then she was probably crazier because she actually agreed!

“Alright,” she said. There will certainly come a point in your life when you would crave for something new and exciting. And so as absurd as it sounds, no matter how crazy this guy seemed to be, she agreed thinking this could be the kind of excitement she had been waiting for.

They then agreed to meet at a 24hr café just near the place where they met.  "Meet me there tonight at 8," he said. They didn’t exchange numbers and even their names and so she had no idea who he was – definitely the kind of excitement she had been waiting for.

And as she watched him leave, she was thinking how crazy everything was, how ridiculous and hasty her decision had been and that maybe she was supposed to change her mind while she still can.

“I'm not coming!" she called out before she lost sight of him. But Eunjin realized she never really meant it. Her heart – which was beating frantically that she almost thought she was having a heart attack – told her she made the right decision. So she thought that maybe it was a good idea to be crazy for once.

"I’ll wait!" he replied before crossing the street and disappearing among the crowd leaving her standing alone in the middle of a busy street, tongue-tied from everything that happened in the past 15mins.

She only knew one thing for sure. If she didn’t believe in love at first sight then, she believes in it now.