Dream

All the Words We Never Said

A/N: So I was going to write a happy sequel to Wish, but this came out instead. There isn't happiness ahead, guys, might as well warn you now.


Her ringtone breaks her away from a restless sleep. She fumbles for her phone blindly, too groggy to open her eyes, and holds it to her ear without looking at the caller ID. “Hello?” The word scrapes against like sandpaper, her voice hoarse and raspy.

There’s no reply from the speaker, only a faint sound like a hitch of breath.

Taeyeon rubs a hand across her eyes, trying to wipe away some of her grogginess. “Hello?” she repeats.

“Taeyeon?” asks a small voice. A familiar voice. A voice that makes her chest hurt again, that makes her wonder if she’s dreaming and why her dreams are so cruel.

“Yes.” Her voice comes out as more breath than sound. She clears , swallows around the knot there. “This is—I’m here.”

“I saw what happened.” Jessica is speaking so quietly that Taeyeon has to strain to hear her. “I mean, I didn’t see it, obviously, but I… Are you okay?”

“I’m—not too bad.” She’s not dreaming after all, but she isn’t sure if reality will be kinder than her dreams or just a different brand of cruelty. “They have me all doped up. I can’t even feel my back.”

Jessica’s probably biting her lip – Taeyeon wonders if she’s still using the lip balm Taeyeon got her for Christmas, with that dent between her eyebrows that only appears when she’s really upset – Taeyeon likes to kiss it away. She has such a vivid picture of Jessica that she doesn’t need to look at her to see her, but—god, she wants to. She wants to see her, she wants to touch her, she wants to be with her. She wants her.

“That’s good,” Jessica says, “that you’re not in pain. I was—I just wanted to check up on you.”

“Well, I’m not having the time of my life, but I’m not dying or anything.”

“Don’t,” Jessica says, with a sharp inhale. “Don’t even joke about that.”

“Sica.” Taeyeon’s voice softens involuntarily. “I’m fine, really. I’ve been in bed all day. If anything is bothering me, it’s the boredom.”

“You’re not in pain, right?”

Taeyeon doesn’t think before the words escape . “Not from the fall.”

This time, she distinctly hears Jessica’s intake of breath. “Taeyeon.” She’s the one who sounds in pain, and Taeyeon wishes that she could alleviate it, wishes that she could say the right thing for once, wishes.

“Boredom is very painful,” Taeyeon says lightly. “So is being mothered by everyone around. The only things I’m allowed to do are lie down and drink water.”

“You’d better be doing them, then.”

Taeyeon closes her eyes and brings the phone closer to her ear. She can almost imagine that Jessica is next to her, giving her a glare that wouldn’t have scared Ginger. Jessica has quite the arsenal of death glares, but she’s told Taeyeon that she can’t find any of them when she’s around Taeyeon.

“Is that an order?” Taeyeon asks lightly.

“Like I could ever order you around,” Jessica says with a soft laugh. Taeyeon’s missed her laughs. Her smiles. Her jokes. Even her glares. Taeyeon’s missed her everything.

“You can order me around now.” Maybe it’s the painkillers, or the uneasy sleep, or just finally hearing Jessica’s voice again – for whatever reason, Taeyeon’s tongue is loose. “I’d do anything you told me to.”

“Taeyeon.” Another breath, followed by a fainter, wetter sound. Like there are tears in her voice. “I—”

“Taeyeon!” She physically starts at Tiffany’s voice, even louder than usual, coming from the hallway. “That’s enough sleeping. I ordered from that restaurant you like for dinner. Come on, I’m not bringing it to you on a tray.”

Jessica’s voice is back on the line. “You should eat. Regain your energy.” She sounds calm and composed now, back in her idol skin. Taeyeon doubts she’ll ever find out what Jessica was going to say. “And you shouldn’t keep Tiffany waiting. You know that’s not a good idea.”

“Je—” Tiffany appears, suddenly, in Taeyeon’s doorway with a bright smile. Taeyeon swallows the rest of Jessica’s name.

“Come on, I really wanted spaghetti but I got your favourite instead. You’re not going to make me eat alone, are you?”

Taeyeon’s fingers freeze on her phone, her body following suit.

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t know you were talking to someone.” Tiffany lowers her voice to a volume that’s quiet for her, normal for everyone else. “Hurry out when you’re done, okay? The food is getting cold.”

“Okay,” Taeyeon manages, and then Tiffany’s gone. She doesn’t hear anything from the other end of the phone. Maybe Jessica has hung up. “Sica?” she asks, her voice coming out higher-pitched than usual.

“I’m here,” Jessica says, but she’s not. She’s not here. She’s not in Korea, she’s not in Girls’ Generation, she’s not with Taeyeon.

Taeyeon swallows and is afraid to speak because then Jessica would hear the tears in her voice.

“Go eat dinner,” Jessica says softly.

“I will.” Taeyeon thinks about saying I miss you, or I wish you were here, but what comes out instead is, “I keep dreaming about you.”

There’s nothing but silence over the phone. Taeyeon’s grip on her phone tightens, and then slackens; is painfully dry. She sits up, ignoring the twinge in her back, and reaches for the glass of water on her bedside table.

“Get some food, and some rest,” Jessica finally says. “I hope you sleep well and dream about something better.”

“Jess—”

“I dream about you too.” Her voice drops, almost fading away. “Even when I’m not asleep.”

“Sica—”

“But that’s all we can have now. Dreams.”

“Jessica—”

“Good night, Taeyeon,” Jessica whispers, and the rest of Taeyeon’s words is swallowed up by the dial tone.

“TaeTae?” Tiffany is there again, leaning by her doorway. “Are you done?”

Taeyeon swipes her passcode and goes to her call log. The last call is from a private number. She can’t call it back. Her heart lurches, her stomach twists. She dials Jessica’s number, but she’s greeted with an automated voice: This number is out of service. Please try again. No. No no no. She probably just dialed it wrong. She tries again, tapping each number carefully, her fingers precise and steady even as she’s shaking inside. This number is out of service. Please try again.

“Taeyeon?” Tiffany sounds worried now. “Who were you talking to?”

She takes a breath. Picks up the glass of water. Takes a drink. By the time she finishes the glass, is soothed and her mind is clear and her chest is hollow.

“No one,” Taeyeon says. “Well, no one that matters.”