The Chase

Fragments

Characters: Oh Sehun, Oh Hayoung

Picture: http://weheartit.com/entry/group/33772234

 

Sehun came for coffee today. 

There was peaceful silence as we sipped the steamy hot sugary coffee until Sehun put his mug down on the coffee table and looked up at me. “We could do this now, you know”, he mumbled. 

“W-what do you mean?”, I stammered. I knew what he meant. 

I thought back to the first day we met, all those years ago at the university library. I remember how pleased I was when I learned that he was going to be my blockmate for the next four years. I thought of how much fun we had that day, how we’d laughed at our silly jokes. From our early meetings I thought he was flirting with me, but I wasn’t sure. It wasn’t ‘til months ago, that I knew what was going on. 

“Hayoung, uhm, do you, uhm, wanna go for a dinner with me tonight?”, Sehun asked.

“How exactly do you mean?”, I inquired, awkwardly. 

“I think you know exactly how I mean”, he replied with a slight smile. 

“Oh, uhm, I’m sorry, I’m not interested”,  I told him. 

“Are you sure?”, Sehun asked, shrewdly.

“Yes”, I replied. 

“Fine”, he smirked, his eyes turning into crescents, “but I’m not giving up”. 

The next day he asked me out again and of course, I said no. He simply laughed. Sehun is fascinating. I want to know how his mind worked. He isn’t like anyone I’ve ever met. 

The next day, he asked again. I asked him why he was interested.

“You’re gorgeous”, he said. 

I have never felt so flattered. It was exciting. I didn’t want to lead him on, but I couldn’t help but enjoy the time I spend with him. He asked the next day, and the next day. By the last day of semester on our third year, it had turned into a demand rather than a question.

“Go out with me Hayoung”, he said with a huge grin. 

I still declined.

“One day... I’ll stop asking, you know”, he smirked.

“Thank God for that”, I teased. 

I hadn’t wanted him to stop asking. Selfish as it was, I loved the attention. I’ve never been pursued like that before. There was something charming about the way he naively just assumed that one day I’d say yes, even though I had told him countless times that I didn’t swing that way. He always said that he wasn’t convinced. He would use “go out with me” as a greeting on the phone and I’d laugh, and tell him that we live nearly three hundred miles apart. He said he’d get the next train. I told him not to. 

On our fourth year, he turned the flirting up a whole other notch. He’d put his hand on my leg in public, he’d cheekily wink at me, he’d make sure every comment contained some kind of innuendo. He was relentless. I’d realised then that I was actually pretty attached to him - Sehun is a great friend, he really is.

I remember that one night he tried to kiss me. He laughed it off heartily when I awkwardly squirmed away from him and I think I underestimated how much it hurt him. His efforts from then on lacked the usual fervour. We were still close as anything though, if not more so. He’d talk about how excited he was that we’d get to spend so much time together as thesis mates. I’d just assumed that his confidence had taken a bit of a knock, and that his attempts would double as soon as we worked together.

I was wrong. 

The day he tried to kiss me was last day he asked me out. Then he just stopped asking, like he’d always said he would. At first   thought that he was just waiting  fora few days before he asked again. But he didn’t. The flirting was still there, but not as obviously. 

It hurt, so much. I hated myself that it hurt - how selfish was I?

I wasn’t interested in him, yet I couldn’t handle the idea that he might not have been interested in me anymore. He’d said he wasn’t going to give up - but had he? Or did he simply just not want me anymore? Bored of the chase, maybe?

The wondering wouldn’t leave me alone. The questions. I hadn’t understood. I’d analysed every word he’d said, looking, hoping, for some kind of clue.

Some clue that he still wanted me. 

It was after the final exams that I cracked. We found out we were both through, and he ran into my arms ecstatically. I dragged him away, down some deserted corridor away from the action, not really knowing myself what I got planned.

I pushed him up against a wall and kissed him, forcefully. It had taken him a couple of seconds to respond, but he kissed me back, sliding his lips into mine, carefully running his hands through my hair. It was y, it was passionate, it was exciting. I loved it. It wasn’t until he pulled away that I realised what I had just done.

Completely shocked by my own behaviour, I bursted into tears. 

“I’m sorry, I can’t do this”, I muttered, sobbing into his shoulder. 

“It’s okay”, Sehun told me. 

I shakily tried to get to across what was bothering me.

“Too much.. I don’t know what I’m… can’t lose you”, I choked out between sobs. 

"Me too." Sehun gaze told me it was fine. "Let's go back."

Two weeks later, here we are, staring at each other, coffee forgotten and going cold. 

“We could be together now, Hayoung”. I didn’t know if that was what I wanted, I hadn’t thought about it. I was shocked to find out it was what he wanted, I thought he’d lost interest long ago. 

“Sehun…”

"Do... you still not like me?" Pain was evident in his voice.

I hurt him. Again. 

“I didn’t think you wanted me anymore”, I told him. 

“I love you”, he replied automatically. 

I gasped. I didn’t know what to think or what to feel. I didn’t know anything. 

“Look at me in the eye and tell me you don’t love me too”, he said, firmly. 

“I…”, I began, I honestly don’t know what I’m going about to say. We ended up just staring at each other and at that moment I knew what I wanted. I raised my hand to his cheek and it gently. I leant in and kissed his gorgeous lips. He smiled as he kissed me back, pulling me closer. Our lips moved slowly together, passionately absorbing every second. My whole body tingled with pleasure and excitement. Sehun pulled away with a giggle. “Oh Sehun, go out with me”, I demanded, with a smirk. 

“No,” he replied, with a hearty laugh, taking hold of my hand and intertwining our fingers, “Oh, alright then”. 

“I love you”, I whispered, honestly. 

“I KNEW IT!”, he shouted excitedly, before kissing me ardently yet again.