Gemini

Even Though...

I have always been fascinated by the idea of pairs, balance, and symmetry:  from philosophical concepts like yin and yang to mundane stuff like peanut butter and jelly.  

I remember a time when I was still a kid. ...I came upon a book about soulmates.  The whole thing about romance and "need for someone to complete oneself" were beyond my comprehension at that time, but what attracted me to it was the thought of 2 souls that are destined to be together.  The idea that in an ocean of people, there is only one soul that destined to pair with yours is simply astounding.  It's as if the forces of the universe would conspire for two souls  to meet amidst all the chaos in the world.  

I remember the author giving his theory regarding soulmates and why they are compelled to each other.  He said that once a person dies, he or she leaves behind the mortal shell, but his or her soul lives on, and it splits into 2.  Now, the 2 fragments would reside in different bodies in the next lifetime, and it is but a natural drive of epic proportions that these souls would meet,for they must make the soul whole once again, only to be split once more when they die.  And the cycle goes on and on.  

I remember myself clutching that book near my heart, which was beating so fast in a giddy kind of joy.  I remember saying to myself "I hope I find my soulmate too..."  Then I remember my childhood friend sneaking upon me, him snatching the book away from me, me struggling to get the book back, and how we ended up reading the book together.  

And then I remember, that's when it all began....