Four - Something's Happening to My Heart

Promises

‘Seriously?! Today of any other day?’ Nana heaved a sigh as she slowly towed her scooter to the side as a loud thunder banging in the sky. ‘Perfect!’ she exclaimed sarcastically as she felt droplets of rain starts coming down. Youngji and Jackson are out of town for a group project and Key and Eunji had a date. ‘Now who do I call?’ she ponder to herself as she scrolled through her phonebook stopping at ‘남친’. She had saved TOP number under that name for safety purposes. She eventually clicked dial with heavy sigh. TOP came to the rescue after about 5 minutes. It just so happen that the other guy is around the area as well. He lowered his window as he stopped beside the waiting girl. “I called a friend to come pick your scooter up, come in,” with that, Nana gathered her drawings and stuffs, putting it in the back seat before settling herself in the shot-gun.  “How did you even managed with all the stuffs and the scooter?” TOP asked as he starts driving. “I managed during ‘freshmen’, it wasn’t really a big deal if it did not break down like that,” Nana answered casually crinkling her nose as she buckled her seatbelt. “It has been almost 4 years since our freshmen, you should have accepted my offer on carpooling,” TOP added.  “You should have said that it’s for the greener future, maybe I’d agree,” she teased with a known smile. “How about for the greater good, you should opt for carpool so we could spend some quality time together?” TOP replied earning heavy protest from the other girl. “Don’t be such a bummer, we used to have so much quality time skating and stuffs since freshmen,” TOP dissed. “I stop skating and stuffs so I’m curious as to what kind of quality time are we talking about here?” she laughs. “Speaking of which, why did you stop so suddenly?” from the corner of his eyes, TOP can see how his questions made the other uncomfortable. They weren’t really strangers to each other. Added with the fact how they had been spending time growing up and skating among one another, TOP realized how big the impact is supposed to be on Nana especially when she’s at the very peak of her career. “Well… I’ve gotten the professional title, I figure there’s no reason for me to skate anymore,” Nana answered shrugging nonchalantly. “Bulls!” TOP called out just as fast. “Skating is our passion; your eyes twinkles and you smile the brightest at the skate park especially that ‘proud’ and ‘smug’ smile you put on whenever you’re doing your impossible tricks. You’re not in it for the title,” Nana couldn’t help a soft smile and somewhat bitter expression that TOP failed to notice. “It’s getting harder to juggle all that these days. I’m not done for good though,” she eventually gives in with half truth.  “So, I’ll be seeing you again when we graduate or something?” TOP implied and Nana just nodded.

***

“Which part of send me home actually ended me here helping you shop?” Nana huffed as she took another hanger from the other. “And yet, here we are…. Blue or yellow?” he asked effortlessly holding out two shirts of the same design. “Yellow. It’ll be nice to have a traffic light skating once in a while,” she laughs earning an eye roll from the other.  “That’ll only happen if we bought one in red for Key and green for Eunji,” the other reply from behind the changing door. “Should we? Not like a bad idea?” Nana chirped in playfully. TOP then came out from the room standing in front of the other. “Okay?” he asked brushing the wrinkles on the yellow top. Nana approaches him, brushing the wrinkles on the shoulder of the shirt his shirt nonchalantly. TOP’s eyes fell on the girl, he could almost hear his own heart skipping a beat and yet the girl does not seem affected. They were standing too close now as Nana move to help him button the polo shirt. His hands that were hanging on his side itch to hold the other’s waist comfortably. “There, check yourself out,” Nana’s voice brings him back to his trance.   TOP then hastily turned around to face the mirror. His heart was beating so fast he could have believe that they could hear it beating if it’s not for the loud music in the store. “There’s a couple one too, should I try?” Nana asked holding a shirt of the same pattern but with her size. TOP just nod as he was still star struck with the fact that he had almost hugged the girl if they had stayed that close longer. Earning a nod made the girl disappear into the changing room. Inside the changing room, Nana let out the breath she was holding. She was so into helping the other shop and smoothing his shirt she has no idea when they had ended up standing so close to each other. As she proceeds to button his shirt, she could feel his hot stare on her. It almost drives her nut which eventually made her pick the couple shirt that’s on display to clear the air. Nana and TOP meet daily at the skate park but their conversation exchange usually stops at casual ‘Hello’ and ‘How are you?’ During competition, they’ll exchange ‘Good Luck!’ as they passed each other.  Now that they are slowly spending more and more time with each other, she couldn’t help to notice some changes in her. “Im Nana, are you stuck in the neck hole? Need help?” TOP teasing voice was accompanied with knocks on her door. ‘Don’t get crazy, Nana’ she lightly knock her head before unlocking the door. “Not that bad I say?” she offered casually, checking herself in the mirror. TOP stands behind her and the mirror now reflect the both of them donning the same shirt. “You two look sweet,” came the sales girl voice that stopped the staring contest.  “We’ll take both shirts,” TOP replied and both of them disappear to change back into their original clothes.

***

“What time is your class tomorrow?” TOP asked as they stop in front of Nana’s house. After the heated stares and unintentional skinship earlier, Nana was more cautious in giving her opinion as she helped TOP shop for a few more clothes and shoes.  TOP then insist they both have dinner together first before he send her home. “Why?” she asked as she fetched the bag that is hers. “Your scooter wouldn’t be done by tomorrow. And I think we agreed to go green?” he replied with a smile. “Since you picked the right vocab, it’s at 10 and I don’t like to be late,” she answered with a subtle smile as she stand in front of her gate to watch him leave. “Go inside first, I’ll leave when you close the door,” TOP’s word was so small yet Nana could feel warm blood cruising her body at such caring thought. “Oh, okay. Drive safely,” she answered before heading inside with her heart beating like crazy. She peeked through the window as she get inside and true to his words, TOP only left when he caught her eyes behind the curtain. Nana heaved a sigh. Letting people do things for her is definitely weird. But she’d be dead to agree that it feels nice.

 

Author note: Yeap. Someone just came back from the dead. I hope this chapter will do. Tell me what you think and click the subscribe button. Bbyong~~