01.

die Vereisung

Berlin, Germany - 05:07am

 

Minseok walked home on a cold night, shorts on, slightly drunk, and twirling his keys to his apartment. It had always been a part of his daily routine since he settled by himself: going out on late nights to hang out with some of his buddies, getting drunk in the process, and every now and then getting into trouble with the police for reckless behavior. On this night in particular, Minseok had gotten himself a bit tipsy and decided to call it a day. He left earlier than normal; usually he was never home after Friday nights. 

 

Fur hat off with his music turned up, Minseok climbed through four flights of stairs to get to his small studio apartment. He tossed his backpack and longboard behind his sofa and sat down by himself to watch the television. With a side table, a black and white patterned rug, and a knocked down lamp, the sofa was the only piece of furniture that presented any sort of comfort to him. Minseok took an empty glass by himself as he watched the TV, with his sobriety hitting the surface of his face. 

 

That was merely one of the benefits of being Minseok; for his small stature he took his liquor down well, and he could quickly sober up due to his ability to stay cold all the time. Being able to control frost and ice, Minseok could keep himself cool to stay awake whenever he was drunk, so most of the time whenever he went out he was self-aware. His powers were also the main reason he stayed at his apartment by himself. Nobody he knew was aware of his powers and he never bothered to tell anybody about them. If anyone knew, they were gone. 

 

He began to sleep off his drunkenness when suddenly his television started making noises in the static. Jolting awake, he leaned forward to see what was happening. Flashes of a man with auburn hair began to pop up in his mind, and a sense of familiarity overwhelmed him. 

 

Empty glass in hand, Minseok walked slowly towards the TV and the images became clearer. Minseok saw a familiar face; it was the same auburn hair, but this time it belonged to a sparkly-eyed young man. His soft, delicate features reminded Minseok of somebody he once knew. Someone who once shared his struggles and stood by him. 

 

He reached out to the TV, remembering this person that he once loved so dearly. His deer-like eyes, his pale and flawless skin were features that Minseok thought he would forget. It's been so long since he had ever seen those beautiful brown eyes up close.

 

Only one word crossed his mind as he reached out to the TV screen, his fingers nearly trembling as if he was going to break. Minseok felt himself almost crack like an iceberg in collision, and suddenly his ice-cold heart began to melt.

 

Luhan...

Come back to me... please...

Luhan...

 

Minseok ran out of his apartment, the empty glass still frozen as he tried to restore what was once broken. It was out of regret that he secluded himself from everyone else. It was out of regret that he stayed up late nights, drinking himself nearly to death despite his quick sobriety. It was out of regret and guilt that he lost the love of his life. 

 

He ran out into the street into an abandoned lot. For the first time in two years, Minseok brought his walls down. He fell to his knees and lowered his head, tired of the guilt and the pain he bore by himself. For once, he wanted it all to go away. No amount of ice could ever cool down his emotions, for Minseok had sunk down to his most vulnerable state.

 

It had been a long time since anything had ever illicited any emotion out of him since the day his beloved left. Luhan was the only person back then who could open Minseok's heart, and Minseok had loved him with all his heart. He blamed himself for his death, and he spent his days alone coping, unable to forgive himself. 

 

Tears began to fall, coming down like hail. Later that night Berlin would snow more heavily than it ever did.