Ch. 6: Donghae the Clownfish

Opposites Attract, Right?
Many genres of music blasted loudly throughout the club while lights flashing a variety of colors every now and then, with the scheme of light blue being the main one. Black leather couches and white semi-circled tables lined up near the walls of the rounded area, and the building was four stories high, looking like the inside of a skyscraper if one was to look up from the first floor. The center of the roofing was even made of glass, exposing the inside of the club to the night sky.

The nightclub, however, wasn't like any other club in the downtown area; it was fancier, one of the best ones to go to. And if Kim Heechul recommends it, then it must be downright amazing.

Everyone inside the club, Donghae observed, were dressed up semi-formally if not very formally. Some even looked like they were dressed for the Grammy's, not for partying with friends. Yes, this club seemed too classy to be called a club.

Donghae sat in the middle of his four friends, being the odd one out for he had no intimate relationship with anyone, just the way he has been since the day he arrived on earth. He's always been independent, not wanting to be weighed down and limited by anyone else. However, he did like having company to socialize with, let them be people his age or even senior citizens wanting to play a game of bingo.

"So I was like, 'Hannie, that's your cat!' but he was like, 'But I don't have a cat,' so I said, 'Then whose cat is it?!' and he said, 'It's yours!' and I was like, 'It's mine!'" Heechul said, continuing to laugh like he's said the funniest joke in the planet, his hand repetitively banging on the white table to add onto how funny he thought it was. 

Yes, he was completely and utterly drunk.

Hangeng, who sat next to Donghae, had his arm resting around the Heechul's shoulders. "It's funny because his story never even happened...." He said to the others as he took a sip of his drink. The three others, who had been watching Heechul lose it for the past fifteen minutes, began to laugh. "Chullie-ah, what is two plus two again?" He then asked, knowing what his lover would reply with at his current state.

"Because seven eight nine, Hannie~" Heechul sang happily, moving his body so it can lean against the younger. "Let's dance on the dance floor, Hannie!" The fashion worker said, already getting up from the couch and dragging the other along with him.

With them gone, Donghae, Yesungie, and Ryeowook looked at each other in both bewilderment and amusement. "Who knew classy Heechul would let himself get that drunk?" Yesung asked, and soon the three chuckled amongst themselves.

That is, until Ryeowook began to giggle like a maniac.

It was then that Yesung and Donghae realized that sweet and innocent Ryeowook, too, was getting there. "I once made funnel cakes with pancake batter. Guess what it tasted like?" The youngest of the three asked. Without waiting for an answer, Ryeowook continued. "Pancakes!" He said and began to laugh. "I don't get why it tasted like pancakes! I wanted it to taste like apples!"

Donghae couldn't help but die of laughter at his recently befriended dongsaeng's story. He's noticed long ago that he laughed at the most random things, so it was nothing out of the norm to laugh about pancake batter. "Oh my gosh, Yesung-hyung," He said between his laughs. "Ryeowook is just..... wow."

"Gosh, Wookie, you're kind of really scaring me," Yesung playfully said to the other, who suddenly clung onto him like his life depended on it.

"I'm sorry Yeye, I'M SORRY!" Ryeowook dramatically replied. "Yeyeye... Hehehe I'm so gangstah~ yeyeye wussup~" 

Yesung chuckled before taking a look at his wristwatch. "We've been here since 6:30, huh?" He asked with eyes now focusing on Donghae. The latter nodded, and so Yesung gave a low whistle. "Heechul-hyung and Wookie really didn't beat around the bush when it came to drinking today. They managed to get really drunk in just thirty minutes, since they didn't drink while we actually conversed thoroughly for the first half hour."

"How many bottles were they able to drink at that amount of time?" Donghae curiously asked, taking a short glance at their table, which was covered with a variety of many bottles and glasses.

"I think they both had six each," Yesung replied, supporting Ryeowook, who was not making an effort to keep still. He was excitedly bouncing on his seat, blurting out random songs at the top of his head. "Wookie, I think it's time for you to get some rest...." The oldest of the three stated as if Ryeowook actually understood him thoroughly.

"Rest sounds fun~" Ryeowook sang, standing up on his own before Yesung had to quickly follow in order to keep the younger from tipping over. "Let's go, Yeyeyeyeye~" He giggled.

Yesung looked back at Donghae, a hand holding one of Ryeowook's wrist. "Will you be fine here by yourself?" He asked, and the younger chuckled at his sudden parent-like tone, but nodded nonetheless. "I'm leaving Wookie's and my payment for our drinks, okay?" Donghae nodded once again. "Bye~"

"Bye, hyung," Donghae waved as Yesung turned away with Ryeowook trailing behind. The dance instructor laughed once more as he heard Ryeowook ask Yesung, "Why isn't Donghae following our trail of ugly ducklings? Where's the other duckies???"

When either couples were nowhere to be seen, Donghae let out a sigh. Having a lack of company was something he tried to avoid because like Heechul, silence bothered him. To keep himself occupied, the boy then took out his iPhone and began to play whatever game tickled his fancy.

 Although he did get absorbed in the car racing game he started playing, once his peripheral view caught sight of two very attractive looking girls nearby, his phone was down on the table in an instant.

The first girl was tall compared to the second one, and had brunette hair that was curled with a hair iron. She wore a white mini dress that was strapless and showed off her fit body alongside shiny white open-toed heels. To Donghae, she looked pretty innocent yet gave a convincing aura.

The second girl had hair that was a scheme of orange brown, and it was loosely curled looking like it was wavy. She wore a blue dress that had black fabric underneath and partially below due to the ruffled ends of the outfit. And to match it, she was wearing black bootie heels. The girl looked slightly like a snob, but when he saw her laugh, Donghae brushed that thought off.

The girls who were previously talking to each other caught sight of Donghae, both smiling when the boy gestured for them to join him in his lonely table. And of course they couldn't resist his physical charms so they approached him.

"Hey," Donghae greeted, chuckling when the girls decided to sit on either of his sides. 

"Hi~" The girl in white cheerfully responded, whereas the other girl kept her cool and chose not to look as excited as her friend. It wasn't her forte to express such optimistic attitude.

"Hello," She replied calmly, her arms crossing.

"So what are two angels doing here at a club?" The male asked, smirking when the girl to his right—the cheerful one—let out a nervous and shy laugh. Her eyes were on her hands, her fingers fiddling with each other. It was cute.

"Well, my boyfriend was being a pain in the once again, so I'm planning to break up with him after tonight," The second girl said, and unlike her friend, she was having eye contact with Donghae. Fearless, he thought. Her brown eyes then glanced down at his kissable lips before looking back up at his eyes, a smirk now on her face. "I decided to let out my stress here and hang out with my friend, but I think I'll be moving on quite fast."

"Are you trying to tell me something?" Donghae asked, a playful smirk on his face still evident. This girl seemed much more interesting than the other one, to be completely honest.

"I don't know, am I?" The girl playfully asked back with a raised eyebrow.

Donghae chuckled. "What's your name?" He questioned.

"Jessica Jung, and you?" 

"Lee Donghae," The dance teacher replied. "But you can call me tonight~" He added.

"Oh my god," Jessica began to laugh softly, and Donghae did the same, "that is a horrible pick-up line." 

Before the conversation could get any further, Donghae's phone began to vibrate inside his pocket. The man pulled it out before the fourth ring and answered the call, giving a short apology to Jessica prior to doing so.

"Yoboseyo?"
"Donghae-ah,"
"Hey, Hyukjae. What's up?"
"Do you mind coming over the apartment?"
"Woah, there, buddy."
"WAIT, NO! I DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY!"
Donghae began to laugh, and he swore Hyukjae was doing that cute pout of his by then. "I was kidding, Hyuk~"
"Henry wants you to watch Finding Nemo with us since you apparently remind him of Nemo."
"Then I guess it's only right for me to prove to him that I do not look like a fish."
"You actually do,"
Hyukjae teased.
"I guess I have to prove it to you, too, meanie."
"Try me. But you don't have to go since you're hanging out with friends and all, but I don't know what to do since Henry won't let me play the movie without you whereas Kyuhyun really wants to start watching it. They're fighting over it, Hae, and it's driving me nuts, I say. NUTS!"
"You're my friend, too, so I'll go~"
"THANK YOU, MY DEAR FRIEND! See you later!"
"Same for you, bye~"


"Sorry, but I have to go now, girls," He told the two females who were patiently waiting for him to finish the call. "Hope to see you again~" It was a habit for him to say that to people, but the majority of the time he didn't really care.

The two girls bid their goodbyes to Donghae as they all stood up and left the table, going separate ways. But before he left, Donghae left his share of money for his drink from earlier.

-

Movie nights were always held in the apartment living room. The coffee table in front of the tv would be moved to the side—near the window—and depending on the weather, a few pillows and blankets will be spread out on the coffee table's previous spot; instead of sitting on the sofa, the family of three lounged on the wooden flooring. Friday movie nights were also an exception for the kids in terms of an early bedtime and "no sweets after dinner or dessert." 

Right now the three were sitting on the blankets in a form of a small triangle. Once Hyukjae had said that Donghae was coming over, the kids had stopped their fighting and decided to wait in a less begrudging manner.

"Would you rather.... eat creepy cockroaches each day or drink goat peepee forever?" Henry asked as he giggled hysterically at his own question. Kyuhyun and Hyukjae had similar looks of disgust, much to the baby of the family's amusement.

"Appa," Kyuhyun called out, "Henry's crazy now." Hyukjae laughed, ruffling his older son's wavy brown hair.

"Henry-ah, what would you choose?" Hyukjae countered the question, and Henry thought about it.

"Is goat peepee also milk?" He asked confusedly, tilting his head. Hyukjae was about to burst out laughing saying that no, goat peepee was not milk, but Kyuhyun beat him to it.

"Goat peepee isn't milk," Kyuhyun replied before the three began laughing much more.

"Oh," Henry mumbled, scratching his head. "But then both cockroaches and peepee are gross."

The family continued passing time, and in half an hour the doorbell had finally rung.

Opening the door, Hyukjae was surprised to see Donghae holding a box of pizza, a smaller box made for breadsticks, and a bottle of soda. "Hey," The younger greeted with a smile, and Hyukjae returned it.

"Why'd you buy food? You didn't have to buy food," Hyukjae stated. For some odd reason he was starting to feel guilty at the other's action because really, Donghae didn't need to buy them food.

"I was hungry, and I figured that I should also buy you guys something to eat," Donghae shrugged it off as nothing. He then stepped inside the house before Hyukaje closed the door behind him.

"Kids, Donghae-hyung's here," Hyukjae said aloud, gaining the attention of his two sons.

Henry was obviously the first to look at him, and happily cheered when he took notice of the food. "Kyu-hyung, pizza!" He exclaimed, shaking his brother's arm. 

Kyuhyun, who didn't want to pause his PSP game just yet, immediately turned after hearing the word 'pizza'. "Pizza?"

Hyukjae chuckled, followed by Donghae, and nodded. "Say thank you to your hyung."

"Thank you, Donghae-hyung," They simultaneously said, and Donghae was fairly amused.

"You're welcome," He replied before turning to Hyukjae. "Where should I put this?" He asked, referring to the food.

"Uh..." Hyukjae mumbled as he looked around the living room. "The coffee table!" He exclaimed once he saw the piece of furniture. "I'll get the paper plates," The older added, now excusing himself from the room.

In just a few minutes everyone found a comfortable spot on the floor with the blankets under them. The lights of the living room were now off, but the brightness of the tv screen made up for it. Kyuhyun and Henry were lying on their stomachs, both with plates of pizza and breadsticks next to them. Hyukjae sat between Henry and Donghae with crisscrossed legs, and the latter had his legs straight out.  

One-fourth into the movie, Donghae felt a sudden weight on his shoulder, much to his surprise. Turning his head slightly, he realized that Hyukjae had fallen asleep. And no, his initial thought was definitely not Hyukjae playing dead. Of course not. Throwing an arm around his shoulder for support, Donghae continued to watch the movie with the two kids.

"Donghae-hyung! It's you again!" Henry pointed out when Nemo popped out on the screen, causing the three awake males to start laughing.

-

When Hyukjae woke up, he, for some unexplained reason, was really out of it. The father slowly scanned the living room, his eyebrows scrunched and his eyes familiarizing itself with the flashing lights coming from the television. He let out a short yawn, still wondering why he was sitting on the floor with his kids and Donghae.

Slightly moving his now stiff body, Hyukjae let out a hoarse chuckle upon hearing Donghae greet him with a smile. "Goodmorning, sunshine," He teasingly whispered to the sleepy other, not wanting to bother the kids, who were absorbed in the animated movie.

"Goodmorning," Hyukjae replied in the same volume. Was it morning? He glanced at the wall clock behind the television and took note of the time—9:20 PM. "Wait...." The older of the two then mumbled.

Donghae chuckled, causing his arms to make a small movement, and it was only then that Hyukjae realized the younger's arm was rested over his shoulders. "You look a bit confused..." He pointed out, and Hyukjae let out a soft laugh.

"Kind of, yeah," He responded. "Refresh my memory, please?"

"Movie night... Does it ring a bell?" Donghae asked, and suddenly Hyukjae had fully woken up, a big 'o' forming on his lips. The younger of the two smiled at the sight, thinking it looked a bit childish. It as if Hyukjae were a little boy that suddenly understood something he didn't understand for a long time.

"How did I forget?" Hyukjae scolded himself, hitting the side of his head with the palm of his left hand. Donghae used the hand that was resting on Hyukjae's shoulder to stop the other from hitting himself further; however, his behavior was quite amusing.

"I hope you know that you're killing poor and innocent brain cells," Donghae informed the older, moving his hand away from Hyukjae's before resting it back on the latter's shoulder. "Why are you so cruel to them?" He asked with a fake feeling of disappointment.

"Will apologizing to them redeem myself from being a cruel person?" Hyukjae jokingly asked, and lightheartedly rolled his eyes when Donghae nodded. "Fine. I'm sorry, my poor brain cell babies.... Hyuk-appa won't do it again," He said, his eyes looking upwards as if he can see his head."Forgive me?"

"You're forgiven, Hyuk-appa~" Donghae said in a higher octave, acting as if he were a cell speaking. The two began to laugh, careful not to be too loud for the kids in front of them.

After a few seconds their gazes met with each other, the smiles on their face slowly, very slowly, fading away. They stared at each other for a couple seconds, wondering if they were both thinking of the same thing. Hyukjae, risking it, took the initiative of leaning in closer to the other. Donghae caught on and leaned closer as well, both their eyes closing as the gap between their lips lessened.

The kiss was not lengthy, and the space between them was back. 

Hyukjae and Donghae looked at each other before their lips slowly met again, and this time it was for a longer span of time. Though it was longer, it wasn't too intimate to the point where tongue action ensued; the kiss was as gentle as the waves of an ocean, their lips also in great sync with each other. The kiss may have been slow, but it was a nice feeling.

Hyukjae's hand slowly reached for Donghae's jaw before resting itself there, the other hand supporting his weight as he discreetly leaned his body closer to the other. Donghae's arm stayed on Hyukjae's shoulder as he kept his body still, too absorbed in the kiss to do anything else.

"... Appa?"

---

a/n: it has come to my realization that the chapters I write are pretty long... or is it just me?  o___o & later chapters might actually have titles, LOL. anyway, thanks for the previous comments & feebacks on this chapter would be greatly appreciated ^^