Ch. 4: Myeolchi Monkey

Opposites Attract, Right?
Forty-five minutes have passed from the time the two had left the house, but they had just arrived at the mall—their first stop of the day. Donghae had used his automobile to drive them there, but the freeway had a longtime traffic due to a car accident on the road.

The two were currently breezing through different areas of the large mall until Hyukjae caught sight of  the store he usually bought his children's clothes. Though the two were still walking, Hyukjae's eyes were glued on the store as he lightly tapped the talking Donghae's arm. "Hey, let's go in there," He said.

Donghae chuckled as Hyukjae began to pull him the direction he was looking at. "You're already dragging me there, so why not?" The dance instructor flippantly stated, and Hyukjae stuck his tongue out at him. The latter came to a conclusion that Hyukjae does that gesture whenever he didn't feel like making a comeback.

"Should I get this for the boys?" Hyukjae asked Donghae, holding an outfit that composed of an argyle sweater vest, a collared dress shirt, and khaki pants.

"Wow, you dress your kids in such fancy-kid clothing," Donghae teased, making Hyukjae chuckle.

"Shut up," He responded, and Donghae smiled. "So should I buy it?"

"I'm pretty sure you have a lot of clothes for the kids already," The dance instructor replied, looking at the other clothes in the rack. Hyukjae's lips unconsciously jutted out. "I suggest you buy yourself something, though. I'd like to watch the day in the life of Lee Hyukjae at the mall."

Hyukjae chuckled, but rejected the offer. "As Teukie-hyung has previously stated, you've been too busy being a father to enjoy your youth," Donghae said on a more serious note. 

Hyukjae looked his direction and was going to tell him how it it's really no big deal, but Donghae beat him to it. "If you don't buy yourself something, I will forever call you myeolchi monkey." When Hyukjae's eyebrows scrunched up along with his mouth dropping agape, Donghae began to laugh.

"What the hell? Where did you get that from?" He asked as if Donghae had said the stupidest thing ever.

"I don't know. They just sound catchy when they're said together," The dance instructor responded, shrugging his shoulders a bit. Hyukjae began to laugh and lightly shoved Donghae's shoulder.

"I swear, if you call me that, I will gladly volunteer in killing you very, very slowly," Hyukjae gave an innocent smile, which Donghae just had to smile back at. But then Hyukjae face-palmed himself. "You're supposed to feel threatened. Why doesn't anyone ever feel threatened by my words?"

"Maybe it's the childish pout you're currently wearing on your face," Donghae chuckled, placing his hands on the other's cheeks only to move it around for fun. Hyukjae's pout turned into a grin as he began to laugh at what Donghae was doing to his cheeks.

"You're crazy," He pointed out, taking hold of Donghae's hands only to part it away from his face.

"So I've heard," Donghae shrugged. "From the same person."

"That person must be very smart and wise and wonderful," Hyukjae commented cheekily. "I'd so date that person if it weren't me." 

The two shared a hearty laugh before engaging into another conversation, unconsciously making their way out the children's store and into stores that sold clothes fit for them.

From one store to the next, Donghae and Hyukjae would enjoy choosing out clothes for both to try on, whether it's serious or for their embarrassment. Along the lines of fun and games, they actually did find items and clothes worth purchasing, including a few toys for the kids.

When the clock on Donghae's phone reached 4:00, the boy called for Hyukjae's attention. "Should we drive to the movie theater now?" He asked.

Hyukjae looked at the time on his watch before his eyes widened in surprise. "We've been at the mall for this long?" He asked disbelievingly. Donghae chuckled.

"And earlier you said you were smart," He teasingly said. "But you can't keep track of time. I'm disappointed."

Hyukjae began to laugh and kicked Donghae's calf in return due to his hands being occupied with shopping bags. "So rude," The older mumbled with a hint of joke.

"Says the person that kicked my precious calf," Donghae pouted, rubbing the now painful (just slightly) back of his leg. Actually, it didn't hurt that much, but he was trying to make Hyukjae feel bad. But Hyukjae didn't buy it, so he stopped his act and pretended as if he hadn't started sulking. "Okay, lead the way out..... myeolchi monkey."

"Yah!" Hyukjae yelled at the other, who was now running out towards the mall's entrance while laughing hysterically. "Babo!" The father hissed, though laughing a bit himself, and began to chase after Donghae whilst ignoring the odd looks other people were giving to him.

As soon as they were  at the movies, the two decided on watching a recently released horror film, which has been the talk of many media those days.

Noticing the pallor of Hyukjae's face as they got closer to the theater number, Donghae assumed that the other was getting anxious about the movie. "Don't mind if I make fun of you, just saying," The dance instructor teased, and Hyukjae didn't take it to the heart.

"Horror films are not my type of genre...." The shorter replied, unconsciously pouting. "So if by any chance I hit you, don't think I did it on purpose, unless I said it was." Giving a smile to the other, Hyukjae then skipped on over to the theater room before occupying on an empty seat.

Donghae lightheartedly rolled his eyes and followed the other, though more calm.

-

The movie had long ended and both Donghae as well as Hyukjae were now eating at the same fast-food restaurant Donghae had gone to last time. It was Hyukjae's first time there, having not noticed the humble shop amongst tall buildings and more more well-known eateries. 

"The movie wasn't so bad," Hyukjae informed before taking a sip of his coffee. Yes, it was evening already, but who says you can't drink the warm liquid at night? "In fact, I liked how the evil character ironically wants to teach life lessons through a horror film."

Donghae chuckled. "I thought that was really odd, though," He admitted before taking a sip of his own drink, which was a warm cup of hot chocolate. "Oh, and if I happen to see his face in my dreams tonight, I assure you that I will freak out."

"It bothered you?" The father of the two asked with amusement. Donghae noticed the hint of entertainment in his voice and decided to steal some noodles from the other as a revenge. "Hey!"

"Hello to you, too," Donghae replied in an innocent voice, cheerfully eating the noodles he had taken with his chopsticks. Hyukjae chuckled.

"How did I become friends with a five year old living in a man's body?" He asked, and Donghae shrugged before a smirk made it's way to his face.

"It's not a bad thing, is it?" The dancer asked in return. "I'm pretty sure you like my presence."

"Someone's thinking highly of themselves," Hyukjae pointed out, laughing along with the other.

The two continued to eat their respective meals, which were, in fact, completely different from each others. Hyukjae had a bowl of Jajangmyeon whereas Donghae was downing down a bowl of Dolsot Bibimbap. It was a comfortable silence as they ate, until Donghae spoke up.

"Henry really liked the food I bought here," He randomly stated. Hyukjae chuckled at the thought of his child getting too excited over food. Trust him, it's happened many times before.

"He gets over-excited about everything," The male replied, "even if it's just going to the supermarket. But then there's Kyuhyun, who's nonchalant about practically everything except videogame talk. He knows more games than he knows the twelve months of the year."

"He seems really smart, though. Just by a first impression," Donghae stated.

"He really is, actually," Hyukjae said, almost boasting like the proud father he is. If anything, the father was really impressed by his son's ability to maintain and learn class lessons. "Kyu's been ranking first in class since the beginning of the year."

"So does that mean you're smart?" Donghae asked with a hint of tease.

"I suppose, but not to the point where I rank as high as Kyuhyun," Hyukjae responded. Donghae chuckled. "His... mom... was pretty smart during high school, though." The sentence was spoken in a nearly inaudible mumble, but Donghae didn't have a problem in hearing that.

Oblivious to Hyukjae's building discomfort, Donghae pushed the topic further. "Are you guys divorced, or...?"

Hyukjae looked down at his now fiddling hands, which were rested on top of the table. "Uh... Yeah. For a few years already."   

"Oh, that ," Considering the fact that the dance instructor never experienced serious relationships, Donghae spoke lightly of it. "Do you guys have some sort of pattern in when you keep the kids?"

"No," Hyukjae responded, not exactly wanting to give much information to a person he's met only about a week ago.

Donghae nodded in consideration of that answer, thinking of what else to talk about. But before he could actually speak, Hyukjae beat him to it. "Should we get going now?" He asked, meeting gazes with the dancer. It was his attempt to abort the topic.

Checking the time on his Blackberry, Donghae nodded. "Seems late enough," He jokingly replied, now trying to bring back the happy atmosphere he realized was gone for a couple minutes.

Upon hearing seeing a smile compliment Hyukjae's laugh, Donghae knew it was a success.

Standing up from their seats, the two politely bowed at the cashier as they made their way out of the restaurant. The young lady blushed crimson as Donghae winked at her—which has become a habit for him to do when in contact with pretty females.

Taking note of that action, Hyukjae lightheartedly rolled his eyes. "Flirt," He jokingly muttered only to get a cheeky grin in return.

-

"I figured I was older."

"Probably because I look young and fresh."

"No, because you act like a child more than an actual child."

"Rude."

"But true."

"I can tell you guys are going to be really good friends," Kangjn stated with a chuckle, and Leeteuk seconded that.

Hyukjae pretended ponder over that for a second. "That can't be possible," He jokingly said with a dead-serious tone. Donghae gave a childish pout at Hyukjae, who just laughed it off and patted the younger's thigh. "Kidding." Donghae broke away from that childish pout and smiled. 

For the past hour or so, the four adults were chatting about this and that, not really focusing on a particular topic. It was then that the two new friends were the same age, Hyukjae only being a few months older.

Taking a short glance at his wristwatch, the boy realized that it was already passed 11PM. "Oh, I should get going now," He said.

"I'll lead you out," Hyukjae offered, standing up from the sofa with Donghae. Leeteuk and Kangin did the same.

Giving hugs to the couple, Donghae bid his goodbye to them. Getting the same in return, the boy then followed Hyukjae out the main door.

"Today was interesting," Hyukjae chuckled at his own comment, suddenly recalling all of the day's events. From the mall to the 'horror' film, he simply had a good time catching up with his own life and hanging out with a new found friend.

"Agreed," Donghae responded.

"I guess I'll see you.... next time?" Hyukjae stated with a tone of question. 

The younger nodded. "Maybe I'll make more frequent stops to the café," He said with a smile to which Hyukjae couldn't help but return. "It's close to the studio I work at, anyway."

"Great, I'll have a customer that's actually fun to talk to."

Donghae felt quite happy upon hearing that sentence, flattered that Hyukjae thinks that. "As for me, I'll be having both a good drink and a waiter I'd actually bother to talk to," He replied, and Hyukjae chuckled.

"Whatever you say," The older responded. "Bye~"

"Bye," Donghae replied, though he didn't move from his spot.

It was awkward for a few seconds since they didn't know what to do—hug or shake hands. Deciding that he's Lee Donghae and he hates awkwardness, the boy just chose to hug the other, soon getting one as well. "See ya," He said once again, waving at the other.

"See you, too," Hyukjae replied.

As Donghae began to walk away, the waiter went back inside the comfort of his home.

He almost forgot that Leeteuk and Kangin were at his apartment until he caught sight of them sharing sweet kisses and being the unsurprisingly cheesy couple they were; sure, Kangin wasn't cheesy at all, but Leeteuk had enough cheese for the both of them.

"Uh..." The boy mumbled without thought as his way of having them take notice of his presence, which succeeded.

"Kanginnie and I should get going now," Leeteuk, being the naturally happy guy he was, cheerfully said as if they weren't caught giving a small series of kisses to each other.

"Yeah... You should," Hyukjae awkwardly replied as he spotted a small mark on Leeteuk's jaw.

"Bye, Hyuk," Kangin said, holding hands with his lover. The three hugged before pulling apart.

Once the couple was gone, Hyukjae let out a content sigh. He was very tired, no doubt about it. And sleep never seemed so ideal as it did right now.

When he arrived in his bedroom, the first thing (or in this case, people) he noticed was his two sons sleeping comfortably in his king sized bed. They would normally sleep in their respective beds in their respective shared room, but Hyukjae figured that they probably wanted to at least sleep with him after not being with for most of the day.

He changed into his sleep attire as quietly as he can, careful not to awaken the two boys, and made his way under the bed covers. A soft smile formed on his face as he felt Henry's little arms hug him as much as he could despite the child still sleeping soundly. 

With his eyelids getting heavier by the second, the father was quite startled as his phone made a loud vibration on top of the bedside table in the very quiet room.

Taking hold of his phone, the father chuckled and rolled his eyes upon reading the message he had received.

From: Donghae

Goodnight ^^ dream of me, okay? k. (;

To: Donghae

Nah, I'd rather not have nightmares of Donghae-the-super-flirt tonight ^^

From: Donghae

but I'm everyone's dream come true ;)

To: Donghae

LOL YOU'RE FUNNY. REALLY FUNNY.

jk, you're not. goodnight. ^^

From: Donghae

but... nvm. lol, goodnight ;P


And with that, Hyukjae soon fell into a deep slumber.

-

a/n: lalalala hi c: Chapter 5 might take a while to write up and post since I really need to start my big French project that's due in two weeks or less, lol o____o k. I'm not so satisfied with this chapter, lmfao. I wasn't inspired writing the hang-out x) glad that's over with, ahaha. Oh, and I might or might not play around with the perspectives in later chapters c: comments would be greatly appreciated ~ ^^