We will always be there for you

A Leader's Burden

Qn: This is the last question of the day. What do you wish to achieve in WINNER’s comeback?

 

Seunghoon: Top the music charts? *laughs*

 

Jinwoo: I hope to contribute in the production of our title song.

 

Mino: I wish to present a new side of us to everyone. Our debut album was more of a ballad genre. So, maybe R&B?

 

Taehyun: What I want to achieve in our next album is to create songs which everyone can relate to.

 

Seungyoon: For me, I hope to make a song which we can truly call ‘one-of-a-kind’. Just like our sunbae’s songs like Haru Haru and Ugly. Please look forward to our next album!

______________________________________________________________________

 

White walls, white bed sheets, white everything.

 

That was the first thing which Seungyoon registered in his mind. 

 

He tried to get up into a half-sitting position to better examine this unfamiliar room, and as he was doing so, he felt a tug on his left arm. Looking down, Seungyoon saw that an IV drip was attached to his arm. 

 

Everything came back to him at once.

 

Good job Kang Seungyoon. You've just passed out on everyone and screwed up the recording. Wow. Best contribution ever.

 

Seungyoon hung his head dejectedly at the thought of ruining their schedule. Once again, all he thought of was how worried the members would have felt, and not about how weak and wrecked he was right then.

 

The sound of the door being opened diverted Seungyoon's attention away from his own negative thoughts and instinctively, he lifted his head up to see who had come to visit him.

 

Four men with similarly tired-looking faces appeared from behind the door, all of whose eyes met with Seungyoon's. Instead of celebratory exclamations of happiness and relief from the visitors, an awkward silence ensued as visitors and patient locked gazes.

 

It was not that the members were nonchalant about their leader's recovery. It was the fact that Seungyoon had kept his sickness a secret which led to the current awkward atmosphere. 

 

Finally, someone found the courage to break the suffocating silence.

 

“Ahem. So, you're awake," Seunghoon commented lamely, secretly wanting to punch himself in the face for stating such an obvious fact.

 

"Uh yeah," Seungyoon replied awkwardly, like a child who had committed a grave mistake.

 

However, no one was about to start scolding Seungyoon for anything. Who in the right mind would reprimand someone for being caring? 

 

When it looked as if they were about to return to silence, Seungyoon spoke up again.

 

"Sorry. I messed up our schedule."

 

Finishing his words, Seungyoon decided that his bed sheet was the most interesting item on Earth as he stared intently at the useless piece of cloth. He felt ashamed to face the others after failing so terribly as a leader. Hell, he would love to dig a hole and hide in it for all eternity.

 

However, Seungyoon's apology garnered an unexpected response from the members.

 

"Ya, Kang Seungyoon! You nearly fried your own brain and now all you can think of is our schedule? Did the fever burn a hole through your brain or something?" Taehyun raged, temporarily throwing aside the usual formalities which he should be using when addressing a senior.

 

"Eh?"

 

Surprised by Taehyun's criticism, Seungyoon shifted his gaze from the bed sheets to the members.

 

Jinwoo, while not as aggressive as Taehyun, lectured his roommate affirmatively, "Seungyoon ah, just stop thinking about us and think about yourself for once would you?"

 

"You're too nice for your own good," Seunghoon joined in, face-palming himself out of exasperation.

 

Mino pulled a chair to the side of Seungyoon's bed, settling himself down before he spoke in his serious tone, "It's okay to rely on us sometimes. We're a team, right? You can always share the burden with me.  I was a leader afterall."

 

"I-" Seungyoon started, but was quickly cut off by Seunghoon.

 

"Taehyun's our maknae, but so are you. At least let us take care of you once in a while."

 

Seungyoon wavered upon hearing the sincere words from his hyungs. They may be labelled 'Dumb and Dumber' by the public, but they had experienced many ups and downs in their lives too. Much more than others of the same age. 

 

Like a lost child holding tightly onto his faith for a sense of security, Seungyoon recited the belief which he had always held onto, "But, a leader must never fall."

 

In response to Seungyoon’s words, Taehyun rolled his eyes as he brandished his trademark bluntness, "What's the use if the leader breaks, you idiot."

 

"Sometimes, it is okay to fall. We will always be here to catch you when you fall." Jinwoo placed a hand on Seungyoon's shoulder reassuringly.

 

Before Seungyoon could find any words to say, an unfamiliar song played within the room. Someone had played the music, obviously, but what drew Seungyoon’s attention was the fact that the members’ voices were in the song. He soon realized that the members must have pulled an all-nighter and made the song while he was unconscious, explaining each of their tired-looking faces. 

 

Everyone fell silent as the music filled the room, 

 

Listening intently to the lyrics of the song, tears unknowingly welled up in Seungyoon's eyes. Warmth flooded into Seungyoon's strong but fragile heart. At the same time, he felt the weight of being a leader lightening as he understood the heartfelt words of s.

 

We will always be there for you.

 

Yes, that’s right. A leader does not have to carry all the responsibilities by himself. After all, a team would only work if the members and leader support one another.

 

As the song comes to an end, the dorky smile that was lost temporarily had returned to its owner. WINNER’s other maknae, Kang Seungyoon, had finally found his way back home.

 

Author's note: Hey guys! Yes, this can be considered the last chapter. But if you want a real closure, read the next chapter, To You! Thanks for all the support up till now! I'm eternally grateful to all those who have been following this story since the day I started it ;) I might be back with a new story soon (warning: no promises made here *coughs*) Lastly, LOTS OF LOVE TO ALL MY READERS <3