2002

Through The Years

 

 

 

(The Year 2002 - and Dara is 16)

 

“Here.” Chaerin held out a pair of earrings to Dara to try on with her dress. The girls were getting ready at Dami’s house for their school’s winter ball.

“These are beautiful!” Dara tried on the earrings and admired them in the mirror. “Thank you, Chae. I’ll return them after tonight.”

She wandered into the living room while Chaerin and Dami finished dressing. The two girls were dressing to the nines while Dara opted for a simple blue dress that ended above her knees and a pair of not too high heels. She plopped down on the couch not far from a frowning Jiyong.

“What’s the matter?” she asked.

He remained silent as he stared at the program on the television.

“Earth to Jiyong…”  Dara leaned over and waved her hand in front of his face. Jiyong scowled before glaring at her.

“Hey, what did I do?” she asked, questioning the looks he was giving her.

“What’s the big deal about a ball?”

Dara’s lips pulled up into a smile. “Are you jealous you can’t go? Don’t worry, Ji. Your time will come and you’ll get to dress up and enjoy your first Winter Ball as well.”

He huffed and turned back to the tv. “Who wants to go to some stupid dance,” he grumbled, while Dara chuckled.

After a few seconds Jiyong turned to look at Dara and saw her sitting with her head back and her eyes closed. His eyes looked over her dress and her legs that were stretched out in front of her. A small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. She looked really pretty. But no way in hell was he going to admit that to her.

She stirred and Jiyong quickly averted his eyes back to the tv.

“Aren’t those two ready yet?” Dara asked. She yawned and glanced at her watch. It was already past seven o’clock. As she stood she felt her necklace slide off and fall to the floor.

“Oh shoots.” She must not have got the clasp on tight. Picking it up she turned to Jiyong and asked for his help to put it on her.

“Sure,” he said, and stood up while Dara turned her back to him. She stood still as he tried to work the tiny lock with his fumbling fingers. Standing close together Dara noticed how tall Jiyong had gotten. He was now taller than both her and Dami. Sanghyun was the same way. In fact Sanghyun was taller even than Jiyong. Dara scrunched her face in envy.

“What’s with the face?” Jiyong asked.

“I was just thinking that I wish I was taller, like you or Cheongdoong.”

Jiyong smirked and playfully ruffled her hair.

“Hey, not the hair!” Dara swatted at his hand just as Dami and Chaerin came out from the room. Mr. and Mrs. Kwon joined them and the girls took a bunch of photos together and then with Dami’s parents. Dara grabbed Jiyong and held her phone up to take a photo of the two of them together.

“Smile monkey!” she ordered, as she leaned her head close to him.

He scoffed but obeyed. His reward was a bright smile from Dara before she pushed him toward Dami and Chaerin and took a photo of the three of them. Afterwards the girls said their goodbyes and went towards Dara’s apartment where they repeated the whole photo thing with Mr and Mrs Park and Sanghyun before finally departing for the dance.