1998

Through The Years

 

 

 

(The Year 1998 - and Dara is 12)

 

 

“Don’t feel so bad, Dara,” Mrs. Park said, as she placed a comforting hand on her daughter’s shoulder. “You guys did great and it was still a great game!”

“But we lost, Omma,” Dara mumbled. It hurt to win all through the season and then lose by one point in the last game, making them ineligible for the playoffs. Dara and Dami played on the same team and both were equally upset at the loss. Dami had gone with her family and Dara had come home with hers.

“Don’t let it get you down,” Mr. Park comforted Dara. “I’m proud of the way you and your team played.”

A small but sad smile tugged at Dara’s lips as she looked to her dad. “Thanks Appa.”

 

After showering and eating lunch Dara decided to go for a walk down to the park. She was sitting on one of the swings thinking of the game when Jiyong appeared and sat on the swing next to her.

“You okay?” he asked.

Dara nodded without saying anything.

“Don’t be sad. It was a good game anyway.”

“I know,” Dara said quietly. “But I wanted to win.”

They were silent for several seconds then Jiyong asked, “You want to get some ice cream?”

Dara turned her head to look at him and she smiled at his attempt to cheer her up. “Where’s Dami at?” she asked, changing the subject.

“She went with Omma to the store.”

Comfortable silence passed between the two, each swinging lightly. Jiyong stood suddenly and went to stand behind Dara, his hands on her swing. “Put your feet up, Dara. I’ll push you.”

Dara let him do as he wanted. Soon she was swinging high with Jiyong giving her a push each time she swung backwards to him. The wind blew against her face and her hair, and soon she was laughing. Jiyong laughed as well when he heard her laughter. He let her swing for several minutes longer than said, “Come on, let’s go get that ice cream!”

 

“I should be buying you ice cream. I’m older,” Dara said, as they walked on the sidewalk and at their cones.

“It’s okay,” Jiyong said. “Dami makes me pay for her ice cream all the time."

Dara grinned as she pointed to a bench and the two made their way over and sat down. Minutes passed as they silently ate their ice cream and enjoyed the afternoon. It was always this way between the two of them. She felt as comfortable around Jiyong as she did if it were Sanghyun. Maybe because they all grew up together and the four of them, Dara, Dami, Jiyong, and Sanghyun were like one family.

After they ate their cones Dara stood up and started walking. “Come on, Jiyongie. Time to go home.”