The Second Rejection

The Only One

Ren woke up. Light shone in through the blinds of his messy room. He sat up, scratching his head, yawning. He looked around the dorm room he shared with his friend Aron. He swung his legs over the bed and made his way to the bathroom to get ready for school. He passes the couch which contained the sleeping idiot. Aron was sprawled out over the couch. He probably stayed up all night watching movies. “Idiot” Ren mumbled. He the shower and started the process of turning his puffy face, to a beautiful one, his messy hair, to sleek and y hair, his ratty clothes he’s had forever to the bland and boring school uniform, that he rocked, according to everyone. That was not an over exaggeration. He was beloved in the school. He wasn’t a Kingka, nor a Queenka, though his sassiness may say otherwise. People just like him. Everyone liked him. Okay, that was a lie. Everyone but one person liked him. One person. It frustrated him. Like really frustrated him. One person. One person whose name wasn’t like spikes to his heart, like most thought. Most meaning everyone except his two friends. Aron and JR. No one except them really knew him. The boy’s name wasn’t like spikes to his heart, his name made Ren’s heart pound. His name was the only one that made him week the knees. His name made him blush. This person’s name alone turned him into a blushing mess. This person took away all what Choi Ren was to Pledis Boarding School, by just existing. This person’s name, Kang Baekho.

I was snapped out of his thoughts when Aron fumbled in to the room.  "Yah, go get dressed pabo, were going to be late." I shouted ""Mhhhmph" he mumbled as he shoved a granola bar in his mouth and stumbled back to his room.  Rolling my eyes I plopped down at our kitchen table to eat breakfast.  Inevitably, my thoughts wondered back to Baekho just like they always did.  I thought of his beautiful face, his short mowhawked blonde hair, his big build that had him towering over me.  But mostly I thought of his arms, his big strong arms and how good it would feel to be held in his arms.  I remember the first time he shot me down a year ago.

 

*flashback*

 

Three months ago he had moved in and started going to my school.  I knew I loved him from the minute I saw him.  I was happy I had found someone I wanted to be with, getting him would be easy because everyone loves me, but I was still scared to talk to him.  "Come on Ren," my friend Minhyun urged "you have this school wrapped around your finger, just go talk to him” Aron nodded his head in agreement.  "Ok, ok I’ll go talk to him."  Just as he walked by I froze, Aron gave me a push and I stumbled right in to his chest.  "U-u-uh h-hi I-I’m Ren" I nervously bowed "Oh hi, I've heard of you, you’re the guy that everyone likes right?"  He replied coolly “Um yeah haha I guess that’s me."  I glanced back at Minhyun and Aron who were waving their hands franticly telling me to go on.  "Um so I was wondering," I started "do you maybe want to h-hang out some time?" "Uh listen Ren," he looked nervous "I'm sorry but I don't think we would work." my heart dropped "You seam nice but from what I hear is that your pretty stuck up, so I-I’m sorry” He walked away quickly with his head hung low. I walked back to Aron and Min utterly defeated.

 

*End of flashback*

 

I sighed, that cut my heart out but i never gave up, I will never give up on my Baekho.  Ever since that day I've been working towards trying to show him that I'm not stuck up.  Aron slides back in and we have to leave for school, well at least I get to see Baekho.

 

I dragged the half asleep Aron out of the dorm, down the hallway, and outside as waited for Minhyun. Oh, I think I forgot to mention that Aron and Minhyun are dating. The two idiots ‘fell in love at first sight,’ according to Aron. We get out of the dorm, and wait for Minhyun. When he does arrive, Aron looks as if he is a child who meets the real Santa. He sprints from the doors and jumps in the car, on the driver’s side deathly-but-lovingly hugging Minhyun, “OH MINNIE!! I MISSED YOU SO, SO, SO, SO~~~ MUCH” He said, while planting short kisses on the youngers cheek. “Aron… I… Saw… You…. Last… Night” Minhyun said in between Aron’s obviously sloppy pecks on Minnie’s lips. “Wait, Minhyun, you didn’t come over last night.” I pointed out. Both boys froze. Aron’s lips still puckered, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink. Minhyun the color of blood. “I- uh- we- uh-“The younger sputtered. Aron, being the idiot he is, his duck face shifts into a smirk, “I’m surprised you stayed asleep during that.” I was a bit confused, “WAIT!!! THAT WAS- ugh, I don’t even want to say it.” I said, closing my eyes in disgust. “I THOUGHT YOU WERE SCREAMING AT THE TV!!! You know I was going to come down to check if you were okay! So glad I didn’t… blechg” I got in the back and stuck my headphones in, not wanting to the boys reminisce about last night *shudders.* Minhyun somehow got Aron off of his lap and into shot gun, but that doesn’t mean Aron wasn’t being clingy. He rested his head on the shoulder of Minhyun and traced circles on his thigh. I rolled my eyes and looked out the window, tapping my foot to the music. I thought of being with Baekho. And if we would ever be like my friends. So happy, that cheesy crap like that seems better than life itself. I see the way that Aron is so upfront about his affection, that he literally clings to Minhyun’s arm any chance he gets. And the way Min pretends not to like it, but the way he looks at the rambling dork shows that he never wants it to stop. I want that. I want to be able to love someone like they love each other; wait, no, not someone, oh no, not just ‘someone’, I want to be able to love the one like Min and Aron love each other.

 

(Baekho’s POV)

I entered the school. Not really wanting to stay, but if I wanted a good future and a good life and all that crap, I guess I would have to. Saying that would make you think I’m a bad student. Hell to the no. I’m good at school. Really good, but I don’t let it show. I don’t want to be seen as the ‘super-student-kyo-shi-in-kendo-and-oh-can-sing’ guy in school. I don’t want to be seen. I don’t want to be touched. I just want to get out of hell- oh wait, I mean high school- alive. I make my way to my locker, where I saw my friends waiting for me. JR and Jason. JR and I have known each other since we were kids, he’s my best friend. Jason is a senior. Well why would a senior hang around two overlooked and unpopular juniors, you ask? Well, Jason, like me and JR and I’m pretty sure every other unattractive guy in school, are gay. And Jason has an obvious thing for JR, so he uses me as an excuses to slyly flirt with my best friend. Parts of me want to jump in front of JR and hiss and go “He’s mine~~ Stay away creepy Chinese boy, you’re invading my friendship” and scare away the poor exchange student. But alas, I see how happy Jason’s existence makes JR. JR also has a thing for Jason, but why aren’t they a thing? Well, because both of them are too blind to see that the other likes them. Half of the time when they are together, I’m gagging and rolling my eyes. And then that’s when I want to slap them with bricks and yell “YOU BOTH LIKE EACH OTHER JUST EAT EACH OTHERS FACES THIS IS STRESSING ME OUT” But if I did that, I would lose one of the only reason’s I go to this godforsaken school,  and aren’t home schooled.

I walk up to my locker, “Hey” I say. Grabbing my books for homeroom. I look down the hall, because I can’t take any more of Jason’s incredibly awkward compliments to JR, that go over his head because he’s standing next Jason. When I look, I see three boys who rule the school, and no this isn’t Mean Girls. Literally, if one of them asked if math class would be centered around llamas, math classes over all of South Korea would be centered around llamas. The three of them looks pretty epic walking down the hall, I will admit. I know their names, not because I care what the three Kingkas do, absolutely not, I don’t care if they are giving each other BJs or if they are curing cancer, nothing they will ever do will make me want to look at them. And it’s not because of their social standing, hell, its not even two of them. It’s because of the short, blonde, brat of a leader, Choi Ren. The guy is one of the many, many gay guys in our school, and has every one of them a leash. Along with straight boys, gay boys, girls, teachers, basically everyone, but me. Girls love him, he’s feminine and looks like the type to go out on the weekends to get his nails done with his girlfriends, but he doesn’t talk to anyone but Aron and Minhyun, the other two. The only one besides those two who he will even look at is, drum roll please, me. Don’t ask why, I don’t even know. I don’t think I’m attractive, I’m an average student, as anyone knows, and there are loads, I mean tons of other guys. He’s turned guys. If he want’s someone, he gets him. But he want me. And I don’t plan on giving myself to him. I’m not a play thing. I’m not a one night stand. I’m not going to be his yesterday’s trash. When I do find who ever I will commit myself to, they won’t be stuck up, he will nice. He’ll the kind of guy who will ignore gender stereotypes and cook for me. He will be caring over me. He will understand when I want to cling, and cling for dear life, because god knows if I get a boy, he will be the only one. He will look at me like I’m the only one. And let’s be honest, he’s going to have to be hot. Now don’t get me wrong, Choi Ren is quite hot. And cute. And attractive. And pretty, like damn, boy you fine. But he only falls into one of seven categories. And aces it but that’s not the point. He’s still a stuck up brat with a face of a god, no, just a stuck up brat that flirts too much and the only thing he wants from me, is well, little me.

I leave the flirting idiots, and go to homeroom, which I share with Choi Ren, one of the reasons I hate this. Once all of the students are seated, our homeroom teacher stands and quiets us. “Students, students. I have an announcement,” he said in a deep voice, quieting everyone. Probably a pop quiz of whatever we were learning, and I will ace it effortlessly. “As you all know, the next three weeks we are going to be going to Jeju-do on a three week trip end of year school trip…” He announced, after that, I couldn’t hear him, partially because of the exited murmurs, and partially because I could care less. I’m going to be a third wheel no matter what. Three weeks of no school, with the entire school, obviously JR and Jason are going to be handing on each other, but from a distance, because they are blind. I’m praying to all the gods that I get hit by a bus. I have no desire to go. The stupid buddy system says your going to have to stay with your roommate at all times, and activities have to be even. I know I’m going to be paired with a student who either has no friends or is mentally ill. Either way, the next three weeks are going to be absolute hell for me.

The end of the period came, like, what eternity feels like, later. And then lunch. I walked to my locker to put my books away. I walked down the hall way alone, and passed Choi Ren’s locker, it smelled slightly like roses, probably from all the flowers from his intense ‘lovers,’ and slightly like tears, from the tears of the rejects. Currently he was talking to Kim Nam Jon, captain of the soccer team and leader of a “gang” that our school has, called BTS. It’s not a gang, its seven guys who got drunk one night and wanted to seem cool. Kim Nam Joon stood at Choi Ren’s locker holding a single red rose and a he was reciting a rap he wrote. I scoffed as I passed him, making it loud enough for him to hear. He’s probably going to go to the nearest storage closet and do him, tell him he’s the one, and leave him without a second thought, all before sitting down for lunch. Disgusting.

(Ren’s POV)

I got to my locker, and was greeted by one of my observers. “Ch-Choi Ren?” He asked, I know what’s going to happen, I see the rose. “Yes?” I say, brushing my hair out of my face and tilting my head, putting on the Choi Ren act. “W-well, I wanted to tell you that ever since freshmen year, you have been the only one on my mind…” here we go. He starts a speech of how I’m the best person in the universe, no one else compares, and the ever so popular “will you go out with me?” I didn’t want to be rude and say no immediately turn the poor guy down. He was hot, like, really hot. But not Baekho. Not even close. Nam Joon actually put a lot of thought into this, he wrote a song, well rap. He was standing in the middle of the hallway rapping:

“Come here I’m bout to take u higher We about to set this love on fire I’ve never felt like this before My mom couldn’t even stop me I told you how I really felt And in the end, I won Baby u should know u change All of my negatives to positive You put up your thorns but I can see you’re a rose who’s making my heart race again The person is you I still don’t know but  I’ll make you know everything about me
I want to be your oppa I want to be recognized differently than the other dudes It might seem like a typical line from a movie but I have a sixth sense Yo I’ll be different I’ll be missin I’ll be kissin ya all the time Ren I can take my eyes off you but I can’t take my heart off you Now this is the beginning, I’m yo pocket monster You gave me your heart and I gave you all of mine Today is happier than yesterday”

Okay, wow, I am honestly flattered, and by flattered I mean totally creeped out. This is a little too far. I’ve talked to him once. I can’t tell him this, I’ll break him. I’ve learned my lesson. I sat there smiling. When Baekho walks by. Immediately, Nam Joon doesn’t exist. School doesn’t exist. Just me and Baekho. This all comes crashing down when he rolls his eyes and scoffs. A very attractive scoff. Like if I could marry a scoff it would that scoff. Scoff doesn’t sound like a word now. Any way~~~, after Baekho left me, I silently prayed that Aron and Min would come soon, sense my displeasure, and get me the hell out. “T-thanks Nam Joon, really, you seemed like you put a lot thought into that.” I say smoothly, “But I’m really sorry, you’re really good looking, and an excellent rapper, but I’m not really looking for anyone right now. I’m really sorry.” I averted eye contact, cringing. I hate doing this. I absolutely hate it. I know what it’s like to be turned down, it ing . But it’s always worse being the one doing it. The one breaking the heart. And you don’t want to, I just want Baekho and we can walk off into the sunset together. Is that so much to ask?

I got my lunch and went to the table that Aron and Minhyun were sitting. They knew where to sit, where ever the least creepy but clearest view of Baekho had. I sat down, opened my water and stared at Baekho. “He scoffed at me” I say in a dreamy tone, and I’m sure they would have replied, if they weren’t so involved in the intense make out session they were having. “It was a cute scoff” Minhyun moaned into the kiss. “Nam Joon asked me out” Aron moved to Minhyun’s neck, “I said no” Minhyun whimpered at Aron, I was getting annoyed, “Baekho also asked me out,” I said, trying to scare them out of each other’s pants, “I said no to that as well.” Minhyun’s head snapped up, “WHAT?” He screamed, stopping Aron, “Baby why’d you stop~~” He wined, he finally looks over, “Oh hey Ren, when did you get here.” Minhyun looks at me, “What?” he asks, “well, you would know if you knew how to keep your tongues in your own mouths now.” I said, poking the salad that I got. “Well you be talking if you had your tongue in someone else’s mouth” he says childishly, getting a confused look from Minhyun, “That is a terrible come back” Aron doesn’t know how to respond, “I- j- Just shut up and kiss me.” He says, “Gladly.” I gag, “JUST STOP FOR ONE MINUTE, PLEASE??? IT’S NOT GOING TO KILL YOU IF YOU AREN’T ATTACHED FOR ONE MINUTE!!!!!!!!!”  I scream, loudly, so loudly, that the entire lunch room goes silent. I stand up, “Come on people, I can’t be the only one who thinks this.” I say looking at the people in the lunch room, who are now murmuring in agreement. “I don’t think they kiss too much. I think they don’t kiss enough. I think they should be kissing right now.” I hear Aron say, loud enough so that the other people in the lunch room can hear. I spin around, “I WILL HIT YOU WITH A BUS!!” I scream at him, he is now cowering in Minhyun’s arms, “Shh~~ you’re scaring my baby!” He whisper/yells. “HES OLDER THAN YOU!!” I yell, storming off out of the lunch room. I’m fed up with not being in a relationship. I want Baekho to be mine. I want to kiss him. I want it to be his tongue in my mouth, preventing me from talking. I want to be in his arms when I’m sad. I want hug him when I please. But I can’t. And it .

I run out, passing Baekho’s table, who was reading a book, how cute. I want to kiss him, right there. No matter what he says, I want to shove my tongue down the poor boy’s throat. And being in the emotionally unstable I turn to him. Him looking up at me, “AND YOU! YES YOU! YOU ADORABLE LITTLE VERY DIFFICULT TO INSULT PERSON! WHY DON’T YOU LOVE ME?? EVERYONE IN THIS SCHOOL LOVES ME! I NEVER ASKED FOR IT!! IT JUST HAPPENED! WHY DO YOU HATE ME? I’VE LITERALY ONLY SAID THE TRUTH TO ANYONE. I’VE BEEN NOTHING BUT NICE TO YOU! HELL, ALL I’VE SAID TO YOU IS, AND I QUOTE, “DO YOU WANT TO HANG OUT?” I DIDN’T PROPOSE! I DIDN’T CONFESS MY LOVE! I guess I just did now, BUT THAT’S ASAID THE POINT! TELL ME, KANG BAEKHO, WHY DON’T YOU LIKE ME!?” I scream at him, tears forming in my eyes. Baekho just sat there. A calm, and attractive, face that wasn’t moving. He smiled sarcastically, standing up. Making my heart pound. He got closer to me, time went in slow motion, him creeping closer to me, making my heart pound in my ears. He leaned in, and I felt his breath on my neck, as he whispered. “Because you are so worked up over one person not liking you. You. Are. Stuck. Up.” He said plainly, each word stabbing me in the heart. I looked back at him. Baekho was now sitting down, putting his attention back on his book. I couldn’t take it anymore. I let it all out, I started to cry. Right there, in the middle of the cafeteria, sobbing. I fell to the ground. It hurt, a lot. Nothing hurt more than being rejected. I felt two arms help me up, and their voices saying something that I’m not going to bother to comprehend. I just want it to be over. I just want him to like me. Or better yet, me not like him.