Hot chocolate

Breathe Me

The hospital loomed over Jonghyun, cold and intimidating even in the warm light of the afternoon sun. The sight of the building no longer gave him hope that everything would be fine.

It had been four days since he last set foot in there. His grandmother had been taken to the morgue in wait for his parents to come. Jonghyun had stayed at home, since he had taken out a week’s vacation from work, sleeping and watching his grandmother’s favourite programs on TV, talking to his mother over the phone several hours a day.

But today was the day his grandmother would be moved from the hospital to the funeral home in preparation for the funeral. His parents would soon arrive at the hospital to sign a few papers and settle things.

He did feel a little better today. His grandmother’s departure didn’t weigh as heavily on his chest anymore and he’d had a few days to heal. Since he knew she had been ready to go, the process had been easier, though the first few hours had been difficult and heavy.

Arriving at the fifth floor felt weird when he had no place, no room, to go to except to the nurse station. He smiled at nurse Lee, who came around the desk and pulled him into a warm hug.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

He nodded and hugged her back.

“Yeah,” he murmured.

She pulled back, resting her hands on his shoulders and studied his face for a moment, chewing her lip in thought.

“I was going to call you…” she hesitated. “Do you still want to know about the coma patient?”

Jonghyun's eyes widened and he nodded eagerly. He had promised he would give more information to Taemin's mother about his process, though he also wanted to know himself how Taemin's recovery was going.

“Yes, of course!” he said. “Is he all right? He didn’t go back into a coma, did he?”

Nurse Lee smiled and shook her head.

“No, he didn’t. Actually he has improved greatly, he woke up cognizant early this morning, speaking and moving to the best of his abilities.”

Jonghyun gaped at her.

“Really?” he breathed. “That’s great!”

“Yeah,” she nodded. “It really is amazing.”

“Can… I visit him?” Jonghyun wondered uncertainly.

Her eyes softened and she nodded.

“We haven’t been able to reach his next of kin yet and I do believe he feels a little lonely and scared, though he tries to hide it,” she said. “And you’re about the best person I know. I trust you can give him some peace of mind.”

Blushing, Jonghyun looked down at the floor, wrinkling his nose.

“Well… it’s not always a good thing,” he mumbled.

“Nonsense,” nurse Lee admonished. She patted his cheek and pushed him towards the elevators. “Go. He’s been moved to the fourth floor, room 493. I’ll call when your parents arrive.”

Jonghyun smiled softly at her and gave a small wave before making his way down to the fourth floor. Nerves coiled in his stomach and he wondered if it were such a great idea to visit Taemin after all. The guy didn’t know him. He might be even more frightened and confused if Jonghyun just showed up suddenly.

He paused just outside the elevators on the fourth floor, his hands trembling with nervousness. Instinct told him to turn and go back. He shouldn’t be doing this. The last time he got involved in something that wasn’t his business it ended poorly.

But then again, he had promised Taemin's mother to check on him when he fully woke up and tell her if he would really be all right. And he also wanted to make sure of his intentions towards Minho. Because he would be damned if Minho had gone through everything and coming out of it almost unscathed, only to continue being sad.

Steeling himself, he quickly made his way to Taemin's room before he could change his mind, stopping outside with a wildly hammering heart. He took a deep breath and, after another moment of hesitation, pushed the door open, finding the young man he had only seen lying in bed like a pale ghost sitting up, the back of the bed raised, eyes shining as he was wheezing a laugh at something on the TV.

Jonghyun cleared his throat awkwardly and Taemin looked over, his eyes sparkling with curiosity, though it had a wary undertone.

“Hello?” he greeted questioningly after quickly pressing the mute button, his voice hoarse and cracking.

“Uh, hi.”

Jonghyun smiled weakly and went closer, stopping by the chair beside the bed. The one he imagined Minho now usually occupied. He took another shaky breath and his chest tightened. Taemin was still studying him with interest.

“Umm… you don’t know me, but I’ve visited you before. I was actually here when you woke up.”

Taemin's eyes widened.

“I’m Jonghyun, I’m… I know Minho,” he explained to Taemin’s unasked question.

“Oh,” he said.

“Yeah,” Jonghyun nodded. “And well, I just wanted to tell you…” his voice died out, his chest hurting and a lump forming in his throat.

“Yes?” Taemin asked, looking at him a bit worriedly.

“Uh, well, that… Minho really had a hard time without you,” he mumbled and Taemin looked like he was close to tears. “He loves you a lot and he has been here in almost all his free time."

“I know,” Taemin sighed and Jonghyun looked at him incredulously. He smiled at Jonghyun's weirded-out expression. “That he loves me a lot, I mean."

“Oh.”

“I also know he was going to confess,” he admitted. “And I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure what I wanted.”

Jonghyun frowned.

“Why?”

“The feelings are… well, were there on both our parts, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to be in a relationship,” Taemin said carefully, choosing his words. “I was waiting for him to confess before forcing myself to make a decision.”

Jonghyun swallowed harshly.

“You’ll accept when he confesses then?” he asked.

If he confesses,” Taemin corrected, a sudden amused glint in his eyes. He cocked his head to the side, appraising him. “You care about him a lot, don’t you?”

Jonghyun blushed.

“I-I… value him as a friend and don’t want him to get hurt,” he quickly explained.

Taemin raised his eyebrows, but if he thought it was weird he didn’t comment on it.

“You seem like a nice person,” he said instead. “You should come more often now that I’m not in a coma! I want to be your friend too!”

Jonghyun could feel his lips tug up in a smile as well and he suddenly understood why Minho loved this person so much.

“I’ll try,” Jonghyun said, not wanting to make any promises since he didn’t know if he would be able to handle running into Minho. “I know a few nurses from the time my nan was here, so I might come by.”

“So that’s how you met Minho?” Taemin smiled understandingly.

“Yeah,” Jonghyun chuckled, ignoring the twinge in his chest as he remembered their first meeting. It felt like such a long time ago. “He was sitting on a couch looking all sulky and I tried to lighten his expression up a bit with hot cocoa.”

Taemin eyes grew wide.

“Did he drink it?”

“Yeah…” he frowned. “He’s been drinking it with me ever since… why?”

Taemin stared at him for a moment, before bursting out into incredulous, hoarse laughter.

“He hates hot chocolate!” he chortled. “Says it’s gonna rot his teeth! He always drinks coffee! And black at that!”

Jonghyun gaped at him.

“He does?!” he exclaimed in disbelief. “He never told me!”

“Maybe he just didn’t want to be rude,” Taemin chuckled.

They grinned at each other, a sense of amicability settling over them. Then Jonghyun threw a glance at the clock, noticing it was close to the time Minho usually came around the hospital. His heart skipped a beat and he felt skittish, not wanting to bump into him.

“Hey, could I ask you a favour?” Taemin suddenly said and Jonghyun looked back to him.

He hesitated, glancing at the clock again. Then he sighed.

“Yeah, sure,” he answered. “What is it?”

“I’d actually really like to try that hot cocoa,” Taemin wrinkled his nose apologetically. “It must be amazing if Minho-Hyung drank it willingly. Could you bring me some?”

Jonghyun nodded and stood up. If he was quick about it, he could avoid bumping into Minho.

“Thank you so much!” Taemin grinned and Jonghyun smiled back at him.

“Don’t mention it,” he answered, trying not to run out the door and letting on he was in a hurry to get away.

A few minutes later he really wished he could mind his own business. Just for once.

~*~

Minho thought he would pass out when he got the message. He dropped everything he was holding immediately and sprinted from his office to the garage and his car, then drove like a maniac to the hospital. He stumbled into the new room they had moved Taemin to, breath heavy and heart pounding, and found Taemin sitting up in bed, a concentrated dent in his forehead as he tried to figure out the remote control to his bed.

“Taemin,” Minho breathed incredulously and he looked up at him, his face splitting into a happy smile.

“Hey Hyung!” he said cheerfully, though scratchily, just like it had been yesterday they last saw each other.

Well, technically, they had, but Taemin hadn’t been completely conscious of his surroundings, so Minho didn’t count that.

Tears welled up in his eyes and a few escaped as he made a strangled noise in his throat. Taemin’s smile dimmed and he patted the mattress, scooting over with great effort and motioning for Minho to sit down. He quickly obliged, his eyes never leaving Taemin's face.

“Hey,” Minho said after a moment of silent staring, trying to smile. “Good morning.”

“Good morning,” Taemin answered with a weak laugh and added: “It’s afternoon though.”

Minho's smile trembled and he put a hand to his cheek, searching his face worriedly.

“How are you feeling?” he asked.

Taemin grimaced faintly, but smiled.

“A bit weird and disoriented, but other than a little pain when I move, like I always have.” He grabbed Minho's hand on his cheek and squeezed it lightly, holding it with both of his in his lap. “How are you?”

Minho swallowed around the lump in his throat.

“I’m great,” he said shakily. “Now that you’re finally awake.”

His smile faltered and tears began rolling down his cheeks. Taemin bit his lip, tears gathering in his eyes as well. Then he pulled Minho into a tight hug, mindful of his casted arm and healing ribs and lungs.

“God, I’m so sorry Hyung,” he whispered.

“It’s not your fault, Minnie,” he murmured back, his hair gently.

They sat quietly for a while, tears running silently, releasing all the fear and tension and happiness they had in their hearts. They didn’t break apart until Taemin sniffled out a small laugh.

“Since when did you start liking hot chocolate?” he asked.

Minho frowned at him, drying his cheeks.

“What?” he asked hoarsely.

Taemin's smile was wide and bright.

“I met your friend.”

Minho stared at him for a puzzled moment before his heart skipped a beat and decided to lodge itself in his throat.

“Jonghyun?” he choked out, his chest exploding with painful guilt.

Taemin nodded, watching Minho's reaction with worried amusement.

“What–,” Minho croaked and paused to clear his throat. “What did he say?”

“Oh, just…” he shrugged. “Told me how you had been and that I should…” his voice died out and he stared at Minho for a moment, smiling the slightest. “He’s a really nice guy. Handsome, too.”

Minho blushed.

“What?” he said again.

Taemin put a pale hand to his left cheek, searching his face.

“You love him back,” he stated softly and Minho started in surprise.

“What? Wait,” he struggled. “I don’t understand. I–”

“I knew you were going to confess,” Taemin explained.

Minho stared at him incredulously, opening and closing his mouth, no words coming out.

“But I wasn’t sure if what we felt was real and if I wanted a relationship, so I waited for you to say it first to actually think about it,” he continued. “And then the accident happened and you met Jonghyun.”

“B-but I–,” Minho managed to stammer out, completely dumbfounded that Taemin had already managed to grasp the situation. He had only gained full consciousness that morning for god’s sake!

“It’s okay,” Taemin smiled. “Jonghyun told me I should consider accepting your feelings, but I think the one who needs to accept them is him.” He patted Minho's cheek gently. “Right?”

Minho just blinked at him, unsure of what to say or do. Jonghyun had come here to tell Taemin to accept his love? Why would he do that?

His heart ached once he realised just how much Jonghyun had come to love him, to the extent he would rather Minho be happy than keep him away from his love rival. He hadn’t even been mean or spiteful towards Taemin it seemed, knowing he was the one he had unknowingly been competing with. Jonghyun really must be his guardian angel.

And here Minho was, jerk of the century.

Taemin chuckled at his dumbfounded expression and leaned in, giving him a soft, short kiss.

“I always wanted to try, but this will likely be the only time,” he said and Minho felt shocked beyond comparison. Then Taemin grinned. “You know, Hyung, Jonghyun mentioned something about hot cocoa.”

Minho blinked before clearing his throat and nodding.

“Uh… yeah,” he said, voice rough with utter confusion.

“I want to try some,” Taemin continued. “Would you mind getting it for me while you’re here?”

Minho stared at him for a bewildered moment. Then he stood up.

“Yeah… yes, of course,” he stuttered, unsure what the slow smile spreading on Taemin's lips meant. “I’ll be right back.”

He left the room, still bewildered, and made his way down to the third floor. It felt weird being on another floor, but if it meant things were going well, he wouldn’t complain.

He exited the elevator and rounded the corner only to come to an abrupt halt, his heart jumping out his chest and his breath catching in his throat.

Jonghyun was standing just in front of the machine, staring at it thoughtfully, a paper cup in his hand. Minho barely remembered to throw a glance around to look for Kibum before his body acted on its own and his feet took a few quick steps forward, as if he was being pulled in by gravity.

“Jonghyun!” he called before he could talk himself out of it.

Jonghyun turned around, looking like a deer caught in headlights. He quickly masked his face with a fake smile and Minho's heart ached. The smile was close lipped and tight, not the wide, warm one he’d had before.

“Hi,” he said cautiously. “Are you on your way to Taemin's room?”

The lump that lodged itself in Minho's throat made it hard to speak and he could only nod, staring at him mutely. His heart was beating faster than it ever had and he wondered if Jonghyun could hear it.

He didn’t know where to begin. What was he supposed to say to the person he had hurt so much but who still loved him enough to do whatever he could to ensure his happiness?

After a few moments of continued silence, Jonghyun's fake smile widened.

“Well, since you’re going to his room, would you mind giving him this?” he said, shoving the paper cup into Minho's hands. Their fingers brushed and small sparks buzzed up Minho’s arms. “He wanted to have some hot cocoa.”

Jonghyun turned around without waiting for either answer or reaction and began walking away, shoulders tense and hands clenched.

Minho’s body acted on its own again. The hot chocolate splashed over the floor and his shoes as his hand shot out to grab Jonghyun’s arm, turning him back around, and he raised his chin with his other hand to connect their lips.

Jonghyun stilled for a moment before responding, his hands coming up to rest lightly, hesitantly, on Minho's shoulders, as if he was afraid Minho would disappear if he put too much pressure into his touch. It was enough to make Minho's heart swell with affection and joy he hadn’t felt in days, not even when Taemin had woken up.

He pulled back after a moment that seemed entirely too short, watching Jonghyun’s reaction tentatively.

Jonghyun opened his eyes slowly and met Minho's gaze, looking beyond bewildered and lost.

“What?” he breathed, his lips red from the kiss and his cheeks pink.

Minho bit his lip hesitantly, before deciding to just be straightforward and get it out.

“I need you,” he murmured and Jonghyun looked more puzzled than ever, a small frown appearing on his forehead.

“No, you don’t,” he countered. “You need Taemin.”

Minho shook his head.

“I thought I did.” He cupped Jonghyun's cheek and stepped closer. “But then you came along and I just… you’re the one.”

Jonghyun stared at him as if he couldn’t believe his ears, which must have been his exact thoughts because he asked:

“Is this a dream? Or did I just die without knowing?”

Minho couldn’t help the little chuckle that escaped him.

“No, this is real,” he assured.

“B-but… I don’t… I’m confused.”

“I can understand that.” Minho sighed. “I’ve been a complete jerk towards you. I’m so sorry. I don’t even know how I will ever make it up to you.”

Jonghyun stared at him, his eyes wide, expression stunned.

“You have been an exemplary jerk,” he agreed slowly after a few seconds that seemed to stretch out in eternities.

Minho's heart fell a little. He bit his lip again; suddenly feeling scared and exposed. Then Jonghyun smiled, and it was so wide and bright his whole face seemed to shine.

“Luckily for you, I don’t hold grudges,” he murmured.

Minho didn’t have any time to react before there were fingers weaving into his hair and pulling him down into a kiss so affectionate he thought he was going to melt. He pulled Jonghyun fully into his arms, hugging him as close as he could and feeling, just like he had last time, how well he fit there, in his embrace, with him, filling him with warmth much like the hot chocolate Jonghyun loved so much.

Jonghyun chuckled softly and Minho smiled against his lips, wanting to stay that way forever. He relished in the feeling of being back in their little bubble. He hadn’t realised how much he had missed it until now.

Unfortunately, they were in a public place, which meant they were very soon interrupted. By Taemin, no less, who apparently had terrorized the nurses into letting him out of bed and was now rolling through the corridor in a wheelchair, pushed around by nervous looking nurse.

“Hyung, you’re ruining my innocence,” he whined in feign horror after having cleared his throat behind them to get their attention. The nurse stared at them with wide eyes before mumbling something about rounds and disappearing, her cheeks red.

Minho narrowed his eyes at Taemin. The little had planned this, he suddenly realised.

“You never were innocent,” he growled playfully, a small smile on his lips, and Taemin began laughing.

Jonghyun laughed with him and Minho's arms tightened around him with a feeling so inexplicable he wanted to burst. He really wanted to tell Jonghyun how much he loved him, how much his presence filled him with happiness and peace. But he couldn’t find the words so instead he simply pulled him into another kiss, ignoring Taemin's mock complaints.

Jonghyun looked as stunned as he had the first time, but this time by the fierceness of the kiss more than anything. Minho caressed his cheek with the back of one hand before turning to Taemin.

“Okay, let’s get you back to bed,” he ordered.

“But I’ve been in bed for so long!” Taemin protested. “It gets boring!”

Minho rolled his eyes, grabbed the handles of Taemin's wheelchair and began pushing him towards the elevators. He paused, though and looked over his shoulder at an amused but cautious Jonghyun. He reached out and grabbed Jonghyun's hand, lacing their fingers together while resolving to remove any hesitation and uncertainty in Jonghyun about his feelings for him.

But for now, he just wanted to hold Jonghyun's hand and keep him close.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Another chapter! Aren't I the best? ;P hahaha

I never proof read these things so excuse all the mistakes. And I was so excited to post this chapter! I guess you can tell why >_< But there're still a few things that need to be resolved betwen Jonghyun and Minho, but the future is looking brighter, isn't it?

Anyhoo, love to all you lovely people! I hope you have a pleasant morning/day/night!

Bye~!