Sadness and joy

Breathe Me

To say Kibum looked furious would be an understatement.

No, no. He looked livid. Had Jonghyun not tackled him to the floor he’d be out Jonghyun’s door and halfway to Minho and Jinki's apartment by now.

“Let me go, Jonghyun!” Kibum growled as he struggled.

Jonghyun tightened his arms around his upper body, pinning his arms to his sides.

“No,” he said breathlessly. Kibum was stronger than he looked, so it was no easy task to keep him subdued. “Please Kibum, don’t do anything you’ll regret.”

The laugh Kibum let out was dark and vicious.

“Like I would regret putting that prick in his place,” he muttered as they continued struggling on the floor. “I’d really like nothing else than to remodel his stupid face.”

“Kibum,” Jonghyun groaned. “Don’t.”

After a few minutes of wrestling both of them collapsed on their backs, side by side, in Jonghyun's living room, panting heavily and staring at the ceiling while trying to regain their breaths.

“I told you, Jonghyun,” Kibum said softly. “I told you I didn’t like the situation with Minho.”

A small, wistful smile curled Jonghyun's lips and his vision blurred. He’d already cried so much his eyes felt like sandpaper, but he couldn’t help the sob escaping him and threw an arm over his eyes as tears ran down his temples, into his hair.

It hurt. It really hurt how, though he’d been scared, a small part of him had dared believe that maybe there actually could be something with Minho, only to have him break his heart the day after. He was only glad it had happened so soon. He was sure it would have hurt a whole lot more if he’d had time to let that hope grow.

“Yeah,” he choked out, trying not to let another sob out. “You did.”

There was the sound of rustling clothes and then Kibum's arms were around him, pulling him to his chest.

“Oh, Jonghyun,” he sighed and caressed his hair. “I’m so sorry this had to happen to you.”

Jonghyun laughed weakly.

“It’s kinda my own fault, anyway,” he mumbled through his tears. “I couldn’t just mind my own business.”

Kibum's arms tightened around him and he let out a low, angry noise.

“No,” he growled. “You are not to blame. Minho's the one who can’t appreciate what a wonderful person you are.”

Jonghyun's tears ran faster and he turned to bury his face in Kibum's chest, gripping the back of his shirt and finally letting the sobs he’d tried to keep at bay rattle through him. Kibum held him tighter and murmured soft nonsense in an attempt to calm him down and Jonghyun burrowed closer. It took him a while, but finally his sobs quieted into sniffles and the flood of his tears lessened to a gentle trickle.

Kibum stayed quiet, though he pulled Jonghyun closer. Jonghyun's eyes were dry and he could barely keep them open. But he knew he couldn’t fall asleep there. He needed to be with his grandmother.

“I should go to the hospital,” he mumbled drowsily, though he couldn’t find it in himself to move. His limbs were heavy and uncooperative and his head felt stuffed with wet cotton.

Sighing, Kibum pulled back, looking over Jonghyun's face with worry etched deep in his features. He brushed away a few tears with his thumbs and Jonghyun managed a miniscule smile at him.

“Do you want me to come with you?” Kibum asked. “I’d rather not leave you alone. I can call our boss and say I have an emergency or something.”

Jonghyun shook his head.

“No, it’s okay,” he sniffled. “I already called yesterday to take a week off, so you’re the only one with experience there. You can’t leave Sandeul to himself.”

Kibum grimaced but sighed again. He untangled himself from Jonghyun gently and sat up, pulling his hands through his hair.

“If there’s anything,” he said roughly, “anything at all, you call me. That’s an order.”

Jonghyun smiled again and sat up as well, although his movements were much heavier than Kibum's had been.

“Yeah,” he murmured. “I will.”

After running his fingers through Jonghyun's hair, Kibum stood, stretching with a small grimace.

“My back’s gonna bother me the rest of the day,” he grumbled but there was no heat behind the words.

Jonghyun followed him to the door, promising again and again he would call later that evening so Kibum would know he wasn’t wallowing in sadness forever. They shared a long, tight hug and then Kibum was gone. Jonghyun let out a deep breath after closing the door, leaning his forehead against it and swallowing the lump growing in his throat again.

He’d never experienced a broken heart before. There was a first time for everything, he guessed. He just wished it wouldn’t hurt so much he could barely concentrate on anything else. He had his grandmother to think of.

Clearing his throat and wiping at his eyes to brush away the stray tears, which had escaped, he took a few deep breaths, forced the tears down and packed a bag for the hospital. He’d stay there for the rest of the week and try to concentrate on his grandmother instead of the mess that was his emotions.

A fleeting spike of worry went through Jonghyun when he remembered Minho would still be at the hospital everyday. But then he realised Minho most likely didn’t know where his grandmother was, thus he wouldn’t know where Jonghyun was. If he even cared, that was. He’d never asked and Jonghyun had never told him. He hadn’t wanted to burden Minho when he was so stressed about the situation with Taemin.

Also, Jonghyun kind of knew when Minho tended to arrive at the hospital, which meant he could just hide in his grandmother’s room during that time. So, it really was very unlikely he would run into Minho, especially since Minho didn’t even want him in the first place and had told him to stay away. It wasn’t as though he would go looking for Jonghyun.

Still, he was on high alert once he arrived at the hospital, glancing around nervously, his heart dropping and his breath catching in his throat every time he caught sight of someone resembling Minho's height or appearance. He decided to take the stairs, not wanting to be caught while waiting for the elevator on the off chance Minho actually was at the hospital at the moment.

When he reached the third floor, he hesitated, coming to a stop and staring at the metal door with a large, painted white ‘3’ on it. He swallowed a few times, gripped the strap of his backpack harder and took a deep breath to steel himself before pushing the door open and entering the ICU.

It was quiet. As it usually was whenever he came down there to get his hot cocoa. He hid behind a corner to search the ward for any signs of Minho or Jinki. Finding it completely empty, except for the few nurses making their rounds, he took another breath and crept over to the door to Taemin's room. He peeked inside, relieved upon discovering it empty and quickly snuck inside.

The steady beeping of the heart monitor was the only sound that met Jonghyun in the room and he stood frozen for a moment, staring at the still shape on the bed. Then he gently placed his bag on the floor and took the few steps he needed to stand beside the bed.

Taemin seemed even paler than the first time Jonghyun had seen him. His hair was dull and lacklustre, his cheeks were a little hollow, his skin looked dry and he was so skinny Jonghyun worried he would die of starvation if not of the coma.

“Hi Taemin,” he greeted, barely above a hoarse whisper. “I’m Jonghyun. We met once before, but I don’t think you remember. I’m not that memorable when there are a lot of good-looking nurses and doctors coming in and out of your room, right?”

Jonghyun tried to make a small joke, but it fell flat and he grimaced at himself; sinking into the chair he’d seen Minho in several times. He tried not to think about it and scooted a little closer to the bed.

“You don’t really know me,” he continued. “But I know Minho and he’s told me a little about you.” He swallowed. “He loves you a lot, you know? And this is killing him.”

He fiddled with a piece of the sheet sticking out of the bed.

“I tried to help him,” he whispered. “He was so sad and I just wanted him to smile again. I realise now that it won’t happen unless you come back and I’m sorry if you feel I tried to take your place. I promise you, that was never my intention, though I did fall in love with Minho.”

Jonghyun laughed a little. It was sad and unenergetic.

“But don’t worry,” he assured. “He’s still in love with you. And I don’t really know anything about before your coma, but I’ve spoken to Jinki and it seemed you weren’t gonna reject Minho if he confessed to you, so maybe you should wake up so you two can be happy?”

A tear fell onto Jonghyun's knee, staining his jeans and he blinked, dislodging a few more, which rained down onto his lap.

“Oh,” he said, his breath catching on a quiet sob. “I’m sorry. I don’t know what’s up with me.” He pulled a hand across his cheeks. “I meant everything I said. Don’t mind me, I’m just not in control of my emotions right now.”

A sob broke through and he bent forward, burying his face in his hands and leaning his elbows on his knees.

“I’m s-sorry,” he sobbed. “I r-really am.”

It took a few seconds for him to pull himself together long enough to at least say goodbye and leave. But just as he was about to open his mouth he saw Taemin's fingers twitch and his breath caught in his throat.

“Taemin?” he gasped and leaned forward.

The fingers twitched again and Jonghyun shot from the chair, lunging at the call button for the nurse station. He didn’t have to wait long until a nurse hurried into the room, eyes zeroing in on him as he wiped the last of his tears away, before moving over to Taemin.

“You called?” she said. “Did something happen?”

Jonghyun pointed at Taemin's hand.

“He moved,” he said breathlessly. “His fingers twitched and when I called his name they twitched again!”

The nurse frowned and approached the monitors by Taemin's bed.

“Are you certain?” she asked. “His brain activity hasn’t changed nor has his heart rate.”

“I’m sure!” Jonghyun insisted. “Please, just do a check-up. It can’t–”

He broke off as Taemin's entire hand moved a little.

“He moved again!” he nearly yelled. “His hand moved!”

The nurse, who had caught the movement as well as seen the jump of activity on the monitors, quickly pulled out her pager and pressed a few buttons.

Soon, the room was filled with doctors and nurses doing all kinds of check-ups and jotting down all kinds of notes and diagnoses. Jonghyun moved back to a corner, watching them nervously, hoping all the commotion meant Taemin was coming back.

“It’s amazing,” he heard one of the doctors murmur to another. “His brain activity practically jumped back to normal. How did this happen?”

“We need to call his family,” another doctor said. “He might wake up very soon.”

Jonghyun quietly backed further away, picked up his bag and slipped out the room, smiling softly to himself. Things would work out for Minho, it seemed. And though it hurt he couldn’t be a part of Minho's world anymore, he was still happy for him. Happy for Taemin as well, because he would finally wake up, which meant there were small miracles and wonders in the world.

He was glad he’d been able to see one of them.

~*~

Minho had paced in front of the hotel for at least twenty minutes, too nervous to go in and too guilt-ridden to leave. The doorman had watched him the entire time, though he hadn’t bothered him. The only indication he was at least a little curious about Minho's apparent distress was the raised eyebrows when Minho finally stopped, took a deep, steadying breath and approached him. He gave Minho a small nod and a smile, as if to encourage him, and pulled the door open.

Minho's heart was hammering against his ribcage as he stepped inside the lobby, looking around for a blond head. The front desk was empty and the waiting area was deserted. Soft music flowed from a hidden speaker somewhere, accompanied by the faint murmur of voices coming from the dining hall. The rest of the place lay desolate.

Maybe Jonghyun wasn’t there after all.

Minho approached the front desk to ring the bell for service, his last hope, when he heard footsteps from down the hall to his right. He turned and came to an abrupt halt as his eyes landed on Kibum making his way back to his post at the front desk.

Kibum froze as well when he noticed Minho and they stared at each other for a silent moment. Then Kibum's face darkened and he strode over to him with angry intent clear on his face. Minho would have turned and left, had Kibum not been his best chance at finding Jonghyun at the moment.

He opened his mouth to ask him if Jonghyun had come into work for the evening or if there was any way to reach him at all when Kibum raised a fist and punched him square in the face. He was much stronger than he looked and Minho stumbled back a few steps, gasping in pain and clutching his nose.

“What the hell?!” he groaned, his voice muffled by his hand.

“You’re lucky I want to keep my job,” Kibum hissed, looking ready to punch him again. “Otherwise I’d be beating you to a pulp right now!”

Minho blinked a few times, his eyes a little unfocused.  So, Jonghyun had already told Kibum. Nothing was working out in Minho's favour, but then again, maybe that was what he deserved.

“How could you?! You broke his heart!” Kibum nearly yelled and Minho flinched, pain prickling at his own heart. “And after I told you to let him down gently before he fell even more in love with you!”

Pressing his lips together, Minho swallowed around the lump in his throat. Yeah, Kibum had told him not to bother with Jonghyun if he wasn’t serious that one time he had cornered him in the kitchen. But Minho hadn’t been able to stay away and this was the result. And he hated it. He’d do anything to take back what he had done.

He swallowed again, closed his eyes briefly and took a deep breath.

“I know,” he murmured. “I just… is he here? Can I talk to him?”

Kibum pinned him with a scathing glare.

“You can’t.”

Minho's heart sank and he sighed. It was what he should have expected. He wouldn’t want to talk to him either.

“Did Jonghyun say he didn’t want to talk to me?” he wondered, like he wanted to make himself feel even worse. But if he knew Jonghyun really, absolutely didn’t want anything to do with him, he would give up.

“I haven’t asked, but I’m making that executive decision as his friend,” Kibum answered. “To keep like you from hurting good hearted guys like him. Don’t you ever dare to even look in his direction and don’t think he ever wants to see you again. He may be nice, but even he’s got a limit, which you just overstepped by light-years.”

Minho closed his eyes again.

God, he’d made such a mess of things. Jonghyun was utterly and completely good hearted. There wasn’t a speck of ill will in him and Minho hadn’t valued it enough. He had been so preoccupied with wishing Taemin were awake he had lost something he would only find once in a lifetime.

Maybe he wasn’t worth ever seeing Jonghyun again. Maybe he would only hurt him again. That seemed to be the only thing he excelled at.

“Yeah,” he admitted hoarsely to a waiting Kibum. “Maybe that’s for the better.”

A small dent appeared between Kibum's eyebrows and he narrowed his eyes. Minho knew he didn’t trust a word that came out of his mouth, so he simply gave him a small nod, turned and left.

He walked home slowly, all adrenaline gone. He considered trying the hospital again, but then he remembered what Kibum had said and his courage ran out of him.

“There you are!” Jinki exclaimed when Minho opened the door to the apartment. “You need to buy a new phone!”

Minho frowned at him. He was bouncing in his place, shoes on and jacket in hand, looking ready to bolt out the door.

“I’ll do it tomorrow,” he mumbled tiredly and began to untie his shoes. He just wanted to go to bed and never wake up.

“Keep your shoes on, we’re going to the hospital,” Jinki ordered and opened the door again. “Taemin moved!”

Minho's hear skipped a beat and he whipped around to stare wide-eyed at him.

“What?” he breathed.

Jinki's smile was brilliant.

“Yeah,” he said. “Your parents are already on their way. I waited for you since your phone broke.” He grabbed Minho's arm and tugged. “Come on!”

Minho let himself be dragged to the garage and pushed into the passenger seat in a daze. His stomach was full of nervous butterflies and he felt lighter somehow. His nerves worsened as they parked in the garage of the hospital. Partly because of Taemin, but mostly because of the chance he might catch Jonghyun. He couldn’t stop himself from searching the halls for him, even though he was certain he wouldn’t be anywhere near the ground floor or the third.

It still didn’t stop the disappointment at not finding him anywhere and he sighed.

Jinki threw him a glance, as if he knew what he was thinking, and gave his shoulder a pat before leading the way to Taemin's room.

There were people everywhere. Minho felt disoriented and confused just by looking at them. His parents stood off to a corner and Jinki and he joined them. His mom pulled him into a tight hug, smiling and crying at the same time and his father was blinking furiously.

“Taemin, can you hear us?” a doctor asked.

There was no response and Minho's heart sank, then it lodged itself in his throat when the doctor spoke again.

“Responsive, though unable to speak,” he told a nurse, who took diligent notes. “He’s using his hand to communicate with small movements as well as blinking.”

Minho, his parents and Jinki looked at each other with wide eyes, smiles spreading on their lips.

“He’s awake,” his mother whispered.

“Yeah,” Minho breathed and hugged her again.

A few more minutes passed as the doctors ran more tests. Then, finally, they began filing out of the room, leaving the head doctor to speak with them. He came up to them with a genuine smile on his lips.

“It seems he is well on his way to recovery,” the doctor said. “It may take a few days for him to open his eyes fully and speak. He will not be awake except for a few minutes at a time and he might be very confused, so try not to overwhelm him if he is awake when you visit.”

They all nodded.

“And though it is too early to tell, we think he will be able to fully recover with physical therapy as well as psychological.” The doctor smiled again. “But that is something we will discuss further once he has regained full consciousness. For now, he just needs peace to recover.”

Minho's father stepped forward and grasped the doctor’s hand.

“Thank you,” he said in a gruff, sincere voice.

The doctor nodded and swiftly left the room. They were left staring at Taemin for a moment, no one quite daring to move closer, as if it was all a dream and even the smallest move would make it all go away.

Then Minho gathered his courage and slowly approached the bed, staring down at Taemin.

He looked like he had done last time he saw him and for a moment it scared him. But then Taemin's eyelids fluttered, not able to open completely, though the colour of his irises was visible for a few seconds. Minho drew in a sharp breath and grabbed Taemin's hand.

“What happened?” his mother asked, barely above a whisper.

Minho glanced over his shoulder with a faint smile.

“He opened his eyes a little,” he murmured.

His mother let out a watery laugh and hurried over, grabbing Taemin's other hand. She was followed by his father and Jinki, who positioned themselves at the foot of the bed.

“Taemin,” his mother said softly and his hair. “Everything’s fine. We will wait for you, so don’t worry.”

Minho smiled at her when she looked up at him, happy tears shining in her eyes.

“We’ve missed you, buddy,” his father added and patted Taemin's leg.

Both Minho and his mother let out a surprised sound when Taemin's fingers tightened around theirs weakly. Then his mother laughed joyously.

“Yes, we’re here, sweetie,” she said.

The smile on Minho's lips widened and he felt lighter again. Happiness bubbled up in him, warming his insides and leaving tingles in his nerves.

His heart was heavy, however. Because he suddenly realised he couldn’t share this with Jonghyun – this happiness and joy. He was sure Jonghyun would have been happy as well and he really would have liked to see the smile on his face when he delivered the news. He had no doubt it would have been beautiful and shining and absolutely wonderful.

That was something he had taken away from himself, though, and now he had to live with knowing Jonghyun probably would never smile for him again.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I have no idea how coma works, much less recovery from one, but this is fiction so I'm taking liberties. I do know it isn't like in the movies though, where the coma patients talk and walk and everything after waking up.

So, yeah... I haven't edited this but I hope it isn't too bad! There was something else I wanted to tell you, but I can't remember for the life of me and I just want to sleep.

Anyway, love to you all! <3

Bye~!