Chapter 5

Through His Eyes

   "Ladies and gentlemen, we have started our descent/in preparation for landing, please make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure your seat belt is securely fastened and all carry-on luggage is stowed underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins..." Daehyun woke up to the sound of the flight attendant's voice on the overhead speaker. Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he straightened himself and put up his tray table.

 

   There was a sort of beauty Daehyun couldn't describe looking below at the city of Melbourne from the plane window. It was so unlike New York City that he thought it would take a while before he got used to it. And as the plane slowly landed onto the runway Daehyun tried to imagine an excited Youngjae, slightly bouncing in his seat unable to contain himself, and he couldn't help but smile.

 

 

-----

 

 

   Daehyun thanked himself for bringing only a duffel bag with him because he knew if he had to wait in Baggage Claim, he'd go insane. As soon as he got into the airport, he felt a rush of cool air from the air conditioners above. As expected, Australia was hot all year-round. Unlike New York, which was probably frozen over. He thought about what it would be like to live in Australia, to bask in the warmth it had to offer, to lay down in the hot sand and bask in the Australian sun in mid-February, but he couldn't see himself there. He couldn't see living in a place that wasn't cold for at least half the year. Winter but he knew he'd miss it if he ever left.

 

   The young male made his way out of the airport with ease and breathed in the Australian air, which was significant cleaner than New York City's. However, Daehyun didn't plan this far ahead. His decision to actually travel only took place not too long ago. Daehyun was lucky enough to even get a plane ticket to Melbourne the day of. Why did I even do this so soon? Why couldn't I have waited a few weeks? He cursed himself for not thinking ahead.

 

   No friends.

 

   No place to go, or stay for that matter.

 

   Nothing.

 

   "You're worrying too much, Daehyun." The writer heard Yongguk's voice in his head. "Who wouldn't be worried when they're completely lost?"

 

   He had money, but if he hailed a cab where would he go? He didn't want to lug his duffel bag everywhere he went either. Reality sunk in and Daehyun sighed, unable to think of a solution to his massive problem. He took a seat on the ground outside the airport, pulling out Youngjae's journal from his bag and placing it on his lap. Daehyun wasn't going to stress himself out, so he began to read where he left off. Hopefully with a mind that wasn't cluttered with anxious and worried thoughts, he could think better.

 

 

January 13th, 2014

   It's my third day in Australia and I've never been happier. Yesterday Junhong thought we should rest because of the long day we had, even though I refused several times before I gave in. Today, Junhong took me to Geelong. He thought I needed something to distract me so he took me to Eastern Beach. We went swimming for a bit, then we ran into some hot girls when we were trying to get ice cream. They invited us to play volleyball with them. Junhong had his eye on one girl and I bet him that he couldn't get her number. I lost so I ended up buying us (and the two girls who tagged along) lunch. 

 

   We're at a BBQ place now for dinner and Junhong is trying to flirt his way out of the bill, and it looks like it's working. He really knows how to get his way. I need to learn from him.

 

 

 

   Daehyun chuckled to himself, imagining a college kid flirting with the waitress enough to get their meals on the house. He wondered what Junhong looked like and how much fun it was to hang out with him. Daehyun only went to college for one year, deciding it really wasn't for him and that focusing his time on writing was best. So he didn't really have the full college experience. Nor did he really keep any of the friends he made while he was in college.

 

 

 

   I've never met someone like Junhong. He's different than Himchan, too. I think Junhong is more fun because he's younger and more innocent. Well, maybe not completely innocent. He told me he really wants to take me to a beach, which is an actual thing in Australia. I told him that would be out last stop. By the way, we got a free meal! 

 

   Junhong has tried so hard to make my stay here very memorable and he's doing a really good job. He's such a good kid, always putting other people before himself. But even though he's going out of his way to make me happy, I still can't get over what's bothering me. 

 

 

   Before Daehyun could think about what could be bothering Youngjae, he heard someone yelling at the end of the street. He turned his head to find a group of men, maybe three or four, surrounding someone. It didn't take long for Daehyun to suspect that someone was getting harassed and he quickly rushed to their aid. 

 

   "What's going on here?" Daehyun confidently spoke, watching the men turn their attentions to him. At that moment he saw the victim was a lady, probably in her 40s, who looked very nervous and scared. "What the hell do you want?" The man's voice was low and threatening as he spoke. He pushed Daehyun, proving his strength to the writer. "This has nothing to do with you, so get the out of our way or we'll have to get rid of you." The second man appeared beside the first, two more behind them. The second one pulled out a pocket knife, pointing it towards Daehyun. Daehyun hid his fear very well, trying very hard not to show his weakness to the older man. "Get rid of me? Like those police officers over there could do to you?" Daehyun pointed to a police car down the road with two police officers standing beside it, eyeing them suspiciously.

 

   The men turned to the police car, whispering to each other while Daehyun tried to keep his legs from shaking and giving out on him. The woman had left somewhere in between them talking, Daehyun didn't notice when. "Don't get all high and mighty, . We'll find you and kick your ." With that, the four men walked away as casually as they could, pretending nothing happened. Daehyun exhaled the breath he didn't realize he'd been holding. He began to walk back to his belongings, replaying what had just happened in his head. Great, I come to Australia, I haven't even been here for an hour and someone already threatens to kill me. 'You worry too much' my . I hope Yongguk tells me he's worried when my foot is about to go up his . Then I'll be able to tell--

 

   "Thank you for what you did back there. You were really brave." Daehyun's thoughts were interrupted by a woman's voice. He lifted his head to find the same woman he had saw surrounded by all those men.

 

   "Oh, you're welcome. Are you alright?" 

 

   "I'm fine, they didn't touch me. Although I think they were about to if you hadn't come along."

 

   "I didn't want to ignore it if I knew I could do something about it. I-- Hey! Those are mine!" Daehyun called out to the airport security guard that was holding his duffel bag. He ran over as fast as he could, remembering the journal inside it. If he lost that, he didn't know what he would do with himself. He was too invested in Youngjae's life to simply lose it at an airport. Daehyun proved the duffel bag was his, thankfully getting it back and quickly pulling out the journal from the bag. From now on, he'd have it in his hand at all times. The only way him and that journal were going to be separated was if a shark bit off his entire arm.

 

   "Are you visiting?" The woman had followed Daehyun, obviously worried. She seemed to have a slightly concerned look on her face. Zipping up the bag, Daehyun replied. "Yeah. I don't know for how long, though. I don't really have a place to stay either. I... I didn't really plan this trip out to be quite honest. It was more of a spontaneous thing." He laughed nervously and scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment.

 

   "If you don't have a place to stay, you can come stay with us." 

 

   "I-If that's not a bother..."

 

   "It's no bother at all! I'm actually here to pick up my son. I think his plane already landed. We'll wait for him then we can go." 

 

   The two walked back inside the airport in search of her son. Daehyun talked about his previous bestselling books, his odd luck in stumbling upon a journal that could possibly make him millions, and the famous (to him, at least) Yoo Youngjae. He also told the lady about him. Or, at least all he knew. How he was a photographer and how he wanted to make a mark on peoples' lives. She told him that the name sounded familiar, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Then she told him about her life. How her son was currently going to college to become a music producer and how he was originally supposed to go alone but his father got a better job opportunity in Australia. So they moved and have been there ever since.

 

   The woman paused her story to answer her ringing phone. Daehyun couldn't hear the other side, but she figured it was her son. "Okay well I have a friend with me so we'll be waiting for you by the exit." She hung up the phone and put it back into her pocket.

 

   "That was my son. He's coming now." 

 

   "Where is he coming from?"

 

   "California. He's been staying with a friend for a few weeks."

 

   "That's n--" Daehyun's voice was cut off by a boy's voice. "Moooooom!" He yelled, causing the woman beside Daehyun to run to her son. They hugged tightly and it tugged at one of Daehyun's heartstrings. Mother and son seeing each other after a long time. Family reunions could be a good book idea. The woman motioned for Daehyun to come over, so he grabbed his luggage and headed towards them.

 

   "I never caught your name before." The woman told Daehyun.

 

   "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm Daehyun."

 

   "Daehyun, this is my son, Junhong. Junhong, this is Daehyun."

 

 

 

 

a/n;; Excuse any misspellings and grammatical errors, I can only write at night and it's almost 3am. Also sorry for the chapters being kinda short. I'm taking a new approach to the way I plan them out which helps a lot. Instead of write-as-I-go-while-having-a-vague-idea-of-the-plot, I'm doing outlining-and-pre-planning-and-slapping-myself-for-not-doing-this-sooner. I'm not a great writer but I hope you guys like the story so far. ;u; 

 

a/n;; 1/31/15 - So for updates on this fic and other stuff you can check out my blog on here! Just thought I'd let you all know I'm not dead and I have not given up on this fic :)