Chapter 3

Through His Eyes

   A few days had past since his meeting with Himchan and after quickly skimming through the notebook once he got home, only really looking at the pictures Youngjae had taken, Daehyun felt as if he had won the jackpot. He thought that this was what would make him known around the world. He held the book tightly to him, practically running to the nearest Starbucks to once again meet Yongguk and share his findings with the renowned writer.

   Daehuyn quickly sat down at a table near the window and took out from his bag his laptop, his notepad, and Youngjae's journal. Overflowing with excitement, Daehyun turned to the first entry of the journal and once again re-read it. He remembered standing in front of the Brooklyn Bridge, picturing himself as the Youngjae whose dream of going there came true, going from store to store trying to find Himchan and his face when Daehyun showed him the journal. 

   After Himchan made drinks for both of them, they began to talk quite a bit about Youngjae. About his friends, his hobbies, how they met, how he got into photography. That day, Daehyun learned that Yoo Youngjae was a 20 year old who lived in South Korea. His age surprised Daehyun because he was only one year younger than him and he's already accomplished so much. Youngjae has one older brother, is apparently a great singer, enjoys taking pictures, sleeping, and listening to music. He has a bad habit of biting his nails, he's very shy but once you get to know him he's energetic and easy to get along with.

   Daehyun looked at his notebook at a page titled 'What I Know About Yoo Youngjae' and realized that he was more interested in Youngjae than he thought. His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of chair sliding against the floor. 

   "Good to see you again, Daehyun." Yongguk smiled and sat down. "So, what did you want to show me?"

   "This." Daehyun handed the journal to Yongguk who opened it and began reading. "It's a journal I found in the library. It was written by some guy name Yoo Youngjae and he traveled the world and recorded it in this book. Apparently he wanted someone to find the book and read about his travels. I read the first entry and met with the guy in the picture, Himchan." Daehyun pointed to the picture of Himchan glued in the journal. "He told me all about Youngjae and how he's always wanted to travel the world."

   "You seem really invested in this, huh?" Yongguk didn't take his eyes off the book while speaking and Daehyun watched his flip through the journal, reading pieces here and there. "I didn't know I was this interested until a few minutes ago, actually. I think this would be a really great idea for a book though." Daehyun told Yongguk about his book idea which seemed to earn a smile from him. After Daehyun was done, Yongguk closed the journal and handed it back to Daehyun.

   "You should go to the places he's been to. Follow the journal as if you were traveling with him." Yongguk leaned back in his chair, hands folded across his chest, awaiting a reaction from the younger male. Daehyun knitted his brows together and looked at Yongguk with disbelief. "Are you insane?! I don't have that kind of money!" He sighed and opened the journal, looking at the picture Youngjae took of the Brooklyn Bridge and it reminded him when he was there just a few days ago. "Besides, where would I even go? What would I do?"

   "Just follow Youngjae's journal. It seems like there's enough information in there to guide you. And there's pictures. It shouldn't be that hard."

   "What if I get lost? Kidnapped? Murdered?"

   "You're worrying too much, Daehyun. Besides, traveling is what some writers do to get ideas for their books. It's one thing when you see it in pictures, it's a whole other thing when you see it with your own eyes." Daehyun remembered seeing that written down somewhere and his eyes fell onto the journal. He closed his eyes, burying his face into the palms of his hands. Daehyun had been saving up to travel in the future ever since he was a kid. But he just didn't want to spend the money he's been saving his entire life. However, thinking more about it, this was for book research. This could be the book that makes him millions of dollars richer. 

   "I'll.....I'll think about it..." Daehyun didn't want to many any hasty decisions, so he decided to sleep on it. "Thanks for coming despite your busy schedule, Yongguk." 

   "No problem. If you need me," Yongguk handed Daehyun a business card. "just call me."


 

  -----


   Daehyun laid down on his bed, phone hovering above his face as he checked how much he had saved in his bank account. Just yesterday he couldn't imagine spending even a penny from it. But now he was asking himself whether to spend all of his savings to travel the world. It was very tempting, but Daehyun would have to spend another 10 years saving up from the bottom. Unless... His next book brought in ten times more than he had originally saved up.

   Since his mind kept making a list of pros and cons to following Youngjae's journal, Daehyun gave up on sleep and the TV and flipped through the channels before stopping on 'The Secret Life of Water Mitty.' As Daehyun watched, he couldn't help but find a strong similarity to what Yongguk wanted him to do. Except the only real difference was Daehyun wasn't trying to hunt anyone down and Walter Mitty didn't have a journal telling him exactly where to go. 

   "Life is about courage and going into the unknown."
 
   Daehyun picked up his phone and took the business card from his pocket and dialed Yongguk's number

   "Hello?" A tired voiced answered the phone.

   "Yongguk? It's Daehyun."

   "You do know it's...3:36 in the morning, right?"

   "I think I'm gonna do it."

   There was a long silence, or at least it felt long.

   "Good luck and when you come back, tell me all about it.