Chapter 4

Through His Eyes

   A mixture of emotions flooded the young male's head as he headed to his flight's designated gate. Fear, excitement, nervousness, wonderment, Daehyun couldn't really describe them all. He just couldn't believe he was doing something like this. Last night, or early this morning rather, Daehyun had turned to the second entry of Youngjae's journal. If he was going to follow the younger's voyage, he had to at least know what was next after New York City.

   Holding his luggage in one hand and his plane ticket in the other, Daehyun hastily weaved through the crowds in search of his designated gate. He prayed that he would make it before the gates closed and the plane took off. Unfortunately for Daehyun, he had passed out an hour before he was supposed to wake up and leave for the airport. So when he finally did wake up and realize his plane was leaving in an hour he threw whatever clothes and snacks he could find in a bag, making sure not to forget his flight info and the journal, and rushed out. 

   "Gate 15.... Gate 15.... Gate- There!" Daehyun sped up his pace and luckily, made it to the gate in time. He gave his ticket to the lady at the desk and ran as fast as he could through the jetway, almost tripping over himself, and into the airplane. He let out a sigh of relief when he found a row of seats all to himself. Daehyun didn't think he could really focus on social interaction when his mind was racing with thoughts of where he'd go once he'd landed and what he'd do to find his destination.

   Daehyun took out Youngjae's journal from his bag and stuffed the duffel bag into the overhead carrier. Taking a seat next to the window, Daehyun took a minute to breathe and settle down. It took him a while, but he finally quelled his mind and opened the journal to the second entry once again.


January 11th, 2014

  My next stop is Melbourne, Australia! It's almost like New York City, but not. The air seems cleaner here. Tall buildings that make you bend your back 90 degrees, small narrow roads that lead to hidden bars, restaurants, and shops. It's truly beautiful. I met a really nice guy here, too. His name is Junhong and he's studying music here! When I got off the plane I was walking around aimlessly around the airport and he came up to me asking if I needed any help. We started talking and he's been showing me around since early this morning! He's a great kid and he seems to know a lot about Australia despite not being here for very long.

He took me to this really tall tower called the Eureka Tower. It's kinda like the Empire State Building, except the Empire State Building is taller. But I think The Eureka Tower has a better view, especially at night. I took this a little while ago.

I'm writing this from the tower, actually. Junhong is pretending he's on the Titanic like he's Rose with his arms stretched out and. He also keeps screaming "I'm flying, Jack!" out to the city. He reminds me of when I was younger. When I was 10 years old, my parents took me to my first trip to Namsan Tower. I remember running back and forth, holding my hand out to the locks so they would clank against each other as I ran. I remember my father picking me up and putting me on his shoulders. He would point out to the city below and tell me to yell. Yell like no one was around. And I did. I yelled as loud as I could. My father roared with laughter and told me he was sure everyone in South Korea had heard my yell. It made me feel powerful. Like I ruled the world. Like I was a giant king and everyone below me had to listen to me. It was invigorating, but it was the first and last time I've been there. I don't know why we never went back. 

It hasn't been long but I miss my family. My mom has called me non-stop and normally I wouldn't answer, but it feels good to hear her voice. I've never been this far away from home before and although it's worrying for my family and myself, it's really fun and I don't regret doing it.

 

This is Choi Junhong hiding from a yelling Yoo Youngjae. I took his journal and ran as fast as I could into the nearest hiding spot I could find. He might find me soon because I can't stop laughing. He's fun to tease. I showed him all around Melbourne and tomorrow we're going to Geelong. I'm glad I met him and I hope we keep in touch when he leaves. He told me he wants to leave a mark on peoples' lives. He's definitely made a mark on me. Youngjae, if you read this, you're amazing and I love you man. S

 

   Although he had a hard time reading the chicken scratch of a paragraph Junhong wrote, Daehyun laughed hysterically to himself, imagining a kid stealing the journal and writing it it while hiding from an angry yet laughing Youngjae. Junhong must've gotten caught before he could finish his sentence because there were a bunch of scribbles on the page. However, his laughter earned him some glares from other passengers. Some questioning, some angry that he had woken them up from their sleep. It was a really long plane ride, after all.

   "Would you like something to drink, sir?" The flight attendant rolled a cart filled with different drinks beside Daehyun's row. He opted for a Sprite, silently thanking himself for stuffing snacks into his bag since there didn't seem to be any in the cart. After the attendant gave Daehyun his drink, he got up from his seat and pulled his bag from the carrier. Quickly fishing out his snacks, he threw them onto the seat before putting his belongs back and taking his seat once again. 

   "Yoo Youngjae, where are you now?" The journal was closed now and Daehyun ran his fingers across the imprinted letters on the cover. He could imagine a man around his age with nothing but a backpack on his back, traveling from country to country, determination in his step to see the world with his own eyes. However, Daehyun couldn't quite put a face to Youngjae. When he first began reading it all he could imagine was someone with dark brown hair and someone around his height.

   Daehyun laid back in his seat, pushing the pull-out table back up and resting the journal on his lap. He thought about Youngjae and the impact he must've made on random strangers' lives. How he had befriended Junhong and how they seemed like close friends after a single day. Daehyun thought about how his adventures would go, if it would go similarly to Youngjae's or if it would end up in complete disaster. He soon fell asleep, holding the journal tightly and dreaming of experiencing places he's never imagined going to. Soon the plane to Melbourne would land and there would officially begin Daehyun's journey.