Happy birthday, hyung!

One Day

Kyungsoo woke up to a post-it note stuck to his forehead. Peeling it out, Kyungsoo knew that it was from Jongin, chuckling at the scribbled note.

Come to the kitchen for breakfast, hyung!

Kyungsoo rolled out of the bed, making his way toward the kitchen to see Suho, Sehun and Tao sitting around the table. Suho turned to Kyungsoo and smiled; Sehun and Tao were engrossed in something on Tao’s phone.

“Morning, Kyungsoo,” Suho said nodding to the empty chair next to him for Kyungsoo.

“Morning. Have you guys had breakfast yet? Where is Jongin?”

“We were waiting on you, birthday boy,” Sehun voiced, not looking up from the phone as Tao was pointing excitedly at something for Sehun to notice.

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows knitted to the center of his head as he looked about for the other member of the maknae team. Before he could call for the dancer of the group, Jongin paraded out of the kitchen with a platter of pancakes and a big smile.

Atop the pancakes, a candle was lit. Seeing Kyungsoo, Jongin started to sing Happy Birthday with the other members, following behind Jongin out of the kitchen. A round of applause echoed through the apartment as Jongin placed the plate down in front of Kyungsoo, urging him to blow out the candle.

“Wow! You guys didn’t have to do this,” Kyungsoo said looking around at his loving members.

“It was all Kai’s dealings,” Suho said as the members sat down to eat except for Jongin who disappeared only to reappear with more breakfast food. Kyungsoo smiled at the boy, the joy in his face beaming.

Jongin looked to Kyungsoo as the others passed out the food. He saw that the younger boy was waiting for approval from the food. Kyungsoo looked down at his plate.

The three disks that sat on his plate weren’t golden, like one would see on commercials. Only one looked normal, another a pale yellow while the last was burnt completely. For Jongin to cook was something unusual but since he was doing it for Kyungsoo, he really wanted his hyung to be happy.

Kyungsoo grabbed his fork and knife and cut into the golden pancake, thinking it was safe. After cutting, Kyungsoo popped the piece into his mouth and slowly chewed it. It didn’t taste like death.

“It’s good. Really,” Jongin squealed softly as he smiled, his eyes disappearing into crescents.

“I’m glad you liked it, hyung,” The other members started to dig in as Jongin sat down to eat. Kyungsoo could see that Jongin was watching him more than eating which made Kyungsoo’s heart thump as he continued to nibble.

He actually liked the boy smiling at him, but he couldn’t let Jongin know that.

“Thank you for the breakfast, Jongin,” Kyungsoo said as he walked past him back to his room.

“It was nothing, hyung. As soon as you get dressed, we can leave,” Kyungsoo turned to Jongin.

“Leave? Where? We don’t have practice or a schedule today,” Jongin pushed Kyungsoo toward their room.

“For your birthday day. Go get dressed and make sure you’re warm.”

“Jong-” Kyungsoo couldn’t further protest as the door closed. Where exactly was Jongin expecting them to go for his birthday?

The breakfast was out of the ordinary for the young member. Suggesting that they go somewhere was even weirder. Usually one with Sehun to get something childish, for Jongin to cook and take care of Kyungsoo was different. After getting dressed, a thick black coat, his black cap and black jeans made Kyungsoo stand out like a dot. He really did have a monochromatic closet but he liked it. Outside, Jongin stood next to the company van waiting for his hyung.

Jongin was the opposite of Kyungsoo, his red bubble coat zipped tight with his cap pulled low and his hands shoved into his pockets.

“Kai!” Kyungsoo called to him. Looking up, Kyungsoo could see Jongin’s smiling eyes as his actual smile was covered by a mask. Kyungsoo rushed to the van, both of them climbing in to get away from the cold. The van started to move before Kyungsoo could see that they were the only two.

“Where are we going, Jongin, and where is everyone else?”

“Suho hyung is taking the members to eat. We’re going to someplace that you like.”

“Which is?” Jongin just snuggled into his seat as the van continued on.