Final

One Day

The movie theater.

They weren’t rookies anymore. For Jongin to take Kyungsoo to the movies with so many people was throwing caution to the wind, but the younger member didn’t care as they walked into the theater, toward the concession stand.

“Jongin...tickets,” Jongin flashed the two tickets to his hyung as they stood in line. He handed the tickets to Kyungsoo.

“Go find our seats, hyung. I’ll get us something to drink and eat,” Jongin pushed the tickets and Kyungsoo off as he stepped up in the queue.

Kyungsoo entered the dim theater and found the seats. The red plush settling as Kyungsoo stared at the blank screen and waited. As the lights faded, Kyungsoo looked back to see where Jongin was.

The opening was beginning and he wasn’t seated. Kyungsoo stood, thinking that he was either mobbed by fangirls or that he was stopped because he didn’t have his ticket.

A firm hand pushed Kyungsoo’s shoulder down as a body plopped next to him and a platter of nachos into his lap.

“Going somewhere, hyung?” Jongin whispered on Kyungsoo’s right. Kyungsoo scoffed as he looked from Jongin to the nachos. Jongin had thought of everything for the day.

All Kyungsoo had to do was sit back and enjoy his dongsaeng treating him instead of taking care of him. Kyungsoo settled in and became engrossed in the movie. He felt as Jongin’s arm brushed against his on the arm rest. They shared it but it felt awkward.

Kyungsoo started to slide his arm off when Jongin quickly grabbed his hand. Kyungsoo bit back a gasp as Jongin squeezed his long fingers against his hand.

Kyungsoo tried to pull away but Jongin’s strong grip stopped him. Jongin tighten his grip, his eyes still stuck on the screen.

Kyungsoo smiled before focusing back on the screen, Jongin’s hand still entwined with his. Jongin didn’t let go of Kyungsoo’s hand until they walked out of the theater, back into the public.

Kyungsoo didn’t really want to let go, enjoying the warmth of Jongin’s hand and the comfort, but he couldn’t let Jongin know this.

“Where to now for my birthday?” Kyungsoo asked, giddy about what Jongin has planned.

“Back to the dorm,” Jongin chuckled as they got into the van. Kyungsoo was the one to frown. He really was having fun with Jongin and wanted it to continue.

The other members didn’t return until after Jongin and Kyungsoo got back to the dorm. Jongin hopped into the shower first, leaving Kyungsoo to think about the day.

Jongin had put in some effort for the simple things. Kyungsoo wasn’t expecting it and he appreciated Jongin even more for it.

Jongin was just one of the maknaes, the y dancer, but he could be sweet when he wanted to be. Kyungsoo liked the sweet Jongin.

“Hyung! You can get into the bathroom now!” Jongin said, walking into the living room, a towel draped over his head. Kyungsoo made his toward the bathroom, passing Jongin without a word. When he exited, the strong smell of pasta sauce hit Kyungsoo.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo made his way toward the kitchen, finding a table fully set for two. Jongin stepped out of the kitchen with a plate of spaghetti. Kyungsoo couldn't help but laugh as Jongin set the platter down with a “ta-da!”

“One last surprise?”

“Happy Birthday, Kyungsoo hyung,” Kyungsoo sat down, Jongin serving the pasta to him, the red sauce smeared over the noodles and meatballs and white flakes of cheese on top.

“Jongin, you have really outdone yourself today,” Kyungsoo praised as Jongin sat across from him.

“Well, hyung, I just wanted you to have a good birthday; do things just for you. Did you really like everything?”

“Yes, Jongin. Thank you,” Jongin beamed like he did that morning and waited with anticipation as Kyungsoo once again tried his prepared dish. Kyungsoo twisted the fork and lifted the pasta to his mouth. Kyungsoo chewed once and stopped.

“So?”

“Water,” Kyungsoo choked out with a cough. “Water!” Jongin jumped up, fumbling with the glass and the water. He shoved the glass into Kyungsoo’s hand. Kyungsoo chugged the water as he coughed and laughed.

“Hyung, what-”

“Too salty!” Kyungsoo laughed. He could see Jongin panicking and cursing himself. Kyungsoo reached out and grabbed Jongin’s arm.

“It’s okay! It’s okay.” Jongin sat down and frowned.

“I’m sorry, hyung. I wanted to make the best dish for you.”

“You made the best day, Jongin,” Kyungsoo said. “For you to do all of this for me, thank you. You made my birthday the best.” Jongin smiled, brightening the whole room with his smile as he bounced in his seat.

“I’m happy you’re happy, hyung.”

“Now, what do you want to do for your birthday?” Kyungsoo asked. Jongin scooted his chair closer.

“Can I spend the day with you again, hyung?” Kyungsoo smiled as he nodded, bringing more joy to the younger boy’s face.