First Placer

The Hunters and the Hunted

This midget has gone crazy over so many levels, and I didn’t understand why. What has gotten into her during her graduation exam? What has gotten into her, suddenly, to cry when she killed the witch? There was nothing wrong with her when I escorted her towards the arena. She seemed more determined, actually, to defeat the witch. But what the hell happened during the fight?

 

I knocked on the infirmary’s door before pushing it open using my foot. “Seungri hyung?”

 

Seungri turned his chair to face me, his eyes blinking as he absorbed the scene in front of him. Here I was, carrying Taeyeon—more specifically, an unconscious Taeyeon—in my arms.

 

“What happened to her?” He asked immediately, standing up and rushing over to us.

 

“Don’t know. She just passed out after this weird ball of light thing hit her back. The ball was from the witch, though. Can you please check on her?” I asked, setting Taeyeon on an empty bed.

 

“Witch?” He looked at me. “That was her graduation exam?”

 

I nodded, dragging a chair and setting it beside Taeyeon’s bed. I sat on it, crossing my legs comfortably as I waited for any reaction from the dark haired girl.

 

She looked so small on the bed. I mean, she’s already a midget because of my towering height of 6’ 2”, whereas she’s just, what, 5’ 1”? Perhaps 5’ 2”, I’m not sure. But she looked especially small as she rested on the bed. She looked fragile, so vulnerable—the complete opposite of what she had been during the early times of her exam.

 

“If it’s a witch, then I’m pretty sure it was easy for her,” Seungri uttered, grabbing syringes and bottles and vials. The sight of injections made me cringe and shiver. I have always despised those things.

 

“I find it unusual that she lost,” he commented, sliding his chair here and there, his hands still holding vials and syringes.

 

“She won, actually. Successfully stabbed the witch here,” I pointed to my chest. Hyung raised a questioning brow before glancing at Taeyeon.

 

“But….”

 

“I don’t know what happened,” I explained. “One moment she was just about to kill her and when she was about to, they both suddenly looked defeated. Their expressions weren’t like that a second before the killing blow. I knew then that there was something off, so I jumped over the railings and ran to her. But the arena was wrecked so it took me a while. I don’t know what happened though, because when I jumped over, I saw her crying over the witch’s body. That wasn’t the Taeyeon I know… she’ll never cry over them. She, of all people, had a legit reason to kill them… So you can understand my confusion,” I waved my hands.

 

Hyung swiveled on his chair, giving me an amused smirk. “Woooow,” he whistled.

 

“What?” I crossed my arms.
 

“You’re awfully talkative today, Kris. Good to know Changmin’s doing a good job with his lessons,” he nodded.

 

I gave a bitter laugh. “My best friend is unconscious. Probably shaken up from the battle. You can’t expect me to just sit and stare at her.”

 

“But that’s was you normally do.”

 

“Yeah well this isn’t a normal day now, is it?”

 

“Tsk,” he clicked. “That sharp tongue is still evident, I see.”

 

“Want me to chop it off for ya?”

 

“Ah!” Seungri raised his palm, then wagged his forefinger at me. “You get more lessons from Changmin now.”

 

“What?!” I rose up. “I’m gonna have my last lesson tomorrow!”

 

“Then I guess you’ll be back for another day because of that snappy mouth of yours.”

 

I was about to curse at that darn physician but I heard a shuffle of sheets and a low groan. I immediately ran over next to Taeyeon, moving over the curtain that divided us. She was sitting up, her dark hair covering half her face. I brushed her hair behind her ear and gasped quietly when I saw tears streaming down her face.

 

“Taeyeon, whoah, why’re you crying?” I asked her, handing over a clump of tissues she gratefully took.

 

“I don’t…,” she shook her head, “I don’t know. My brain is all fuzzy…”

 

She tried to stand up but Seungri-hyung gently pushed her down again. “Whoah, easy there, Tae. Just rest for a couple more minutes.”

 

“No I—” She couldn’t even finish her sentence when she suddenly cried again. She hastily wiped her eyes, but her tears didn’t stop. “Why is this happening?” She asked me, wiping her eyes with the bed sheet.

 

She looked so confused I wondered why she suddenly asked why she was crying. As I watched her panic due to her continuous tears, I finally noticed a shiny chain on her neck. “Taeng what’s—”

 

Okay. She passed out again even before I could finish my question. Damn this rude kid. “Taeng,” I tried again, poking her arm. “Taeng. Taeng. Yah, Taeng. Taeng. Taeng.”

 

She rolled and turned her back to me. This kid has the guts to turn her back against me?!  “Yah! Midget!”

 

It was no use. The annoying dwarf was sleeping cozily, up to the point with occasional snoring. I’ll ask her again when she wakes up.

 

“Hyung,” I called out. “I’m just gonna go to my classes a bit then I’ll come back later.”

 

“You’re not gonna stay for your best friend?” He teased, and I gave him a brief raised dirty finger.

 

So let’s just say that I’m gonna have another set of classes with Changmin-hyung.

 

xoxo

 

“Baaaaaack,” I greeted them, walking into the infirmary once again. “Sooo I failed Heechul-hyung’s Arts class again, but don’t worry, I aced Henry-hyung’s English Literature exam and Hangeng-hyung’s World History quiz. As usual.”

 

Taeyeon was lazily sitting on Seungri-hyung’s table while the physician was checking something on a paper. “Hmmm, highly unusual, Taeyeon. I can’t find nothing wrong, just the usual bruises and cuts that you normally receive during a fight. You’ll heal in two days since you’ve always had a large amount of platelets; but other than that, there’s nothing.”

 

“What do you mean there’s nothing? There’s certainly wrong with me since I can’t stop crying 30 minutes ago.”

 

“Well, you’re not crying now, that’s something.”

 

“Ha-ha,” Taeyeon rolled her eyes. Well, at least it’s good to know that the annoying midget’s back. Finally, she came aware of my presence and jumped off the table, walking straight to me, then gave me a hard punch to the stomach.

 

“Oof,” I groaned, clutching my stomach. Okay, I know, I was supposed to get used to this, but I don’t know where that midget found the strength but it suddenly hurt. “Ow. Bipolar midget.”

 

“Blonde ape,” she snapped back.

 

Just like usual.

 

She sat on the corner of her bed, waiting—impatiently too, might I add—for the most reasonable diagnosis from Seungri-hyung. There was that solemn look on her face again, something she didn’t usually show before. Well… before her graduation exam.

 

Ugh. Graduation exams. Our school’s ritual to pass those that were rank 2 and below. The one who ranks first will automatically graduate with no further need of taking a graduation exam. Exams, the battle where everything you know will be put to test.

 

Thank goodness, I sighed in relief. Good thing I’m the first in the senior batch. I glanced at the sad-looking Taeyeon. Not a good thing that Taeyeon’s second, though. They should at least exclude the first 5 in the rank in taking exams.

 

Yes, I ranked first and Taeyeon ranked second. We were always the pair that took the first two spots in the rankings. Sometimes we just fight each other; first semester and I’m second and she’s the first, second semester and I’m the first and she’s the second. We just switch between first and second. We’ve always done that ever since we both attended this school.

 

Hunters Academy. A school that was stationed in the middle of a large island. The only residents of the island were the students and the staff. Even though we have limited human contact, the school makes up for it by putting a large canteen (with delicious food, too), a weapons room (that can only be accessed by teachers—for classes—and the members of the student council), a swimming pool, two large gymnasiums (one for volleyball and once for basketball), a field, another separate field for soccer, an auditorium, a movie theatre that is only open during weekends, a track field, a lake, oh and there’s also a forest on the island. Connected to our large island is another island that is purely for training purposes—it’s full of dummies and y traps and sometimes monsters. That’s also where our coliseum is placed.

 

And the dorms, good heavens, the dorms are my favourite place in the school. There are four mansions -yes, mansions- for us students; two for females and two for males. The first mansions are for the first, second, third, and fourth years, while the second one is for the fifth, sixth, and seventh years. Each of the houses has four floors, with a massive kitchen for all, and luxurious rooms for each, with a luxurious bathroom to match.

 

I love this school, especially the facilities, and not to mention the awesome staff. Dang. The teachers are efficient and the doctors are the top in their fortes.

 

“Yah… Yah… Yah. Yah! Yaaaaaaaaah!” I felt someone kick the back of my knees, and I almost fell if I hadn’t recovered quickly.

 

“What do you want,” I groaned, twisting Taeyeon’s ear.

 

“I don’t know. I’m sad. Maybe because I saw your ugly face.”

 

I faked pain, clutching my chest. “You’re the first one to say that this godly handsome face is ugly.”

 

“You’re ugly, Kris.”

 

“Shut up, Seungri-hyung.”

 

“So I guess oppa’s second now.”

 

“Shut up, Taeyeon.”

 

“Okay people calm down,” he laughed, handing Taeyeon some papers. “So in the end there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. So I recommend you go to Sungmin and get your head checked.”

 

“The hell,” I reacted. “Is Taeyeon crazy? I mean sure she’s always been crazy—OW!—but this time it’s finally legit?”

 

“Not that way, Kris. Come on, stop exaggerating. She might have gotten hit in the head during the battle so it affected her moods.”

 

Or maybe it’s because OF THE FREAKIN WITCH, PEOPLE. WHY CAN’T SHE REMEMBER?!

 

Taeyeon snatched the papers, bowed 90 degrees, and gave her thanks. She didn’t last five seconds after that because she was already out. I followed her, with the help of my long legs, catching up to her was easy.

 

“Whatchu thinkin’ about?” I asked in English, my most fluent language. I tutored her some English words so I’m pretty sure she understood what I just said.

 

“Why I’m sad,” she replied in English, her Korean accent still a bit thick. But good job for her though.

 

“It’s the witch, isn’t it?” I asked, glancing at her, going back to korean. “Why did you cry, anyways? You were about to pass.”

 

“Cry? Why am I going to cry? Over a witch? Maybe you need to see Sungmin-oppa,” she replied, ultimately confusing me.

 

“What do you mean? You cried, like, really really really cried over the witch after you killed her.”

 

“I guess I was happy I finally killed her. But… cry? No way.”

 

Okay this is getting really really weird. “This is not a good joke, Taeng. You know you’re “sad” because you killed that witch and I don’t know what she said to you to make you feel that way but…” I trailed off because she spun to face me, her face puzzled with the expression that showed she didn’t believe what I had just said.

 

“What?”  

 

“What do you mean ‘what’? Come on stop acting like you don’t know.”

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Kris.” Her eyes were darting left and right and her voice shook when she said my name. She’s serious. She really doesn’t know what I’m talking about.

 

“The witch. You know. Your graduation exam.”

 

“I know, I know. I mean, that’s probably the only thing I know. I remember we fought, though. I can clearly remember giving her a cheek wound, then the rest is blurry. Like my memories were stacked together then thrown into water and I’m obliged to see them all happen again while I’m underwater. It’s that messed up.”

 

“I don’t know what that witch did to you but… we’ll fix it. You know our teamwork can always do miracles.”

 

“Like defeat the Donghae-Eunhyuk teamwork?” She smirked.

 

“Exactly.”

 

xoxo

 

“Sungmin-oppaaaaaaaaaa,” Taeyeon hollered, mixing in a bit of aegyo to tick both of us off.

 

“Stop with the aegyo, it’s disgusting,” I scolded, covering my ears.

 

“Shut up, Yi Fan. Oppa is taking too long.”

 

“Sheesh,” I scratched the back of my head. This girl does not know how to wait. Besides, Neurologists do their work too long. “Just let the man calculate the results, please.”

 

“Oh come on, there’s nothing wrong with my head!”

 

“But you’ll never know,” I shrugged. “And I told you now to call me by that name. It sounds… weird.”

 

“Yi Fan,” Taeyeon smirked mischievously. Ugh. What to do with this midget.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with her nervous system,” Sungmin finally announced, raising the bluish-metallic x-ray paper.

 

I took a piece and raised it towards the lightbulb. Sure enough, it looked like a normal brain. No tumors or holes or anything different.

 

Taeyeon snatched the papers and held them above her head. “No way. What do you mean there’s nothing wrong when I suddenly have the urge to cry every now and then.”

 

She really doesn’t remember the witch? I’ll remind her. “Taeng,” I called out. “You don’t remember the witch, like, seriously? You cried over her body.”

 

“I told you!” She shouted. “I would never, ever, EVER cry over them! Never!”

 

“But you did,” I pushed on. “You passed out after that light hit your back.”

 

That caught her attention. “Light? What do you mean?”

 

“I mean there was this ball of light that hit you. Then you passed out. Good thing I was there to catch you.”

 

“…Stop it. Stop. I can’t remember anything, yet Sungmin-oppa tells me nothing is wrong.”

 

“And even worse,” hyung added, “I can’t detect traces of amnesia.”

 

I coughed in disbelief. “What do you mean no traces of amnesia? You mean she didn’t have one?”

 

Taeyeon stood up, muttering a curse. “This is b*ll. I’m going.”

 

“No—Taeyeon,” I tried to catch up but she ran away. I looked helplessly at Sungmin-hyung, who shrugged in a helpless way. If even Sungmin hyung can’t diagnose just what the hell happened…

 

I had lost hope. Until I remembered the weird necklace that suddenly appeared on Taeyeon’s neck. I bowed and thanked Sungmin hyung and proceeded to run after Taeyeon.

 

xoxo

 

“SO THIS IS WHERE YOU’VE BEEN,” I panted, my hands on my knees. “Dammit it woman, why won’t you tell me where you’re gonna go. You know we’re in this together.”

 

She rolled her eyes at me as she crossed her legs. We found ourselves in another infirmary, but this time, it’s Changmin-hyung’s office.

 

“Fancy seeing you here, Kris. Heard you’re gonna have additional classes with me,” Changmin placed his hands behind his head. “You should really control your temper.”

 

“Isn’t that why I attended your classes?”

 

“Yes, but you were already improving.”

 

“Stop talking about me and just help Taeyeon, please,” I sighed.

 

“Fine. But I’ll see you in class again later.”

 

“Jeez. It’s almost graduation and I have extra classes,” I grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest and glaring at Changmin.

 

He just glanced at me and laughed heartily. He just loves watching me suffer.

 

Seungri is the school physician; Sungmin is the school neurologist; Changmin is the school psychologist. I’m close to all of them because, well, Taeng and I were often in Seungri hyung’s care. And after Changmin-hyung’s harsh lessons I often go visit Sungmin-hyung.

 

10 minutes later, Hyung called me in from the other room. “What?” I asked immediately. He placed a finger on his lips and pointed at Taeyeon, who, once again, was sleeping on the bed.

 

I inwardly groaned. “What is it this time?”

 

“I was trying to ask if she could remember anything during the other half of exam. She said she couldn’t, then she suddenly clutched her chest, then started crying uncontrollably. Then the passed out. Quite dramatically too.”

 

I clenched my fist. What happened to you, Taeyeon? If you didn’t have amnesia, then why can’t you remember anything about what happened?

 

I sat beside her again, gritting my teeth because I can’t do anything. Taeyeon is suffering and I can’t do anything about it. What kind of a friend am I?

 

“Stop blaming yourself, you idiot.” Changmin hit the back of my head. “You have that look on your face again. I told you to stop blaming everything on you. It’s not like you did anything.”

 

“That’s exactly it. I didn’t do anything. I can’t do anything.” I looked at Taeyeon again. I felt defeated. Useless. Weak. I saw something shine again, and remembered the necklace. I gently tugged the chain until there was a locket on my hand. A nonagon. I tugged the chain again, searching for the clasp, but I couldn’t find any. I tried to cut it off with some scissors but there wasn’t even a scratch. I gave up and just leaned on the chair. It’s annoying because I don’t know how to… study it. I’m 101% sure that that necklace came from the witch.

 

I bit the inside of my cheek and checked the locket again. I tried to pry it open but there was suddenly a voice in my head. I flinched and jumped back.

 

You can’t open this. You’re not cold enough. Only she can open this. Go away, stranger.

 

There was an assault in my head I couldn’t explain but it was creepy.

 

“Did you hear that?!” I rushed to Changmin hyung.

 

He raised a brow at me. “Hear what?”

 

“That voice! That creepy voice!” Not to mention a bit y… but!

 

“I didn’t hear anything.”

 

“What.”

 

“Seriously, Kris,” he sighed. “The stress is coming up to you. Rest a bit.”

 

“No! I’m not stressed! But seriously, I heard a voice,” I looked straight into his eyes, showing how serious I was.

 

“I didn’t hear anything, Kris. I didn’t hear anything.” He pinched the bridge of his nose.

 

I walked back to Taeyeon. I heard the voices when I tried to open the locket, so I did it again. My hands caught the nonagon object.

 

Stranger, I swear I’m gonna curse you if you won’t stop. It’s not gonna open NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. Because you ain’t her. You’re not my princess. Go away, peasant.

 

I gave Changmin hyung an accusing look. That was a long statement. He should’ve heard that.

 

“What is it now?” He gave me an exasperated sigh.

 

ARE YOU FLIPPIN KIDDING ME ASDSFGHJKL

 

“Come here,” I growled, pulling him. He clicked his tongue at me, but I didn’t care. I pointed at the locket resting on Taeyeon’s chest. “That. Grab that. Try to open it.”

 

“This is nonsense, really, Kris.”

 

“Try. To. Open. It,” I challenged him with every word.

 

He gave me a disappointed frown and went over to Taeyeon, gingerly picking the locket. He gave me one last look and tried to open it. Gently at first, until I told him to be more rough.

 

Seconds later he jumped back with a shout. He shot me a look of complete disbelief, which I answered with an ‘I-told-you-so’ smirk. “This—why—how—what is this?!”

 

“I don’t know, but whatever it was, it came from that locket.” I deduced, crossing my arms.

 

“You better give it to Yesung…. It might be cursed,” Changmin shakily stood beside Taeyeon’s bed. I could see the discomfort behind his eyes, and honestly, that made me more nervous.

 

The fact that the Changmin was shaking. It made my skin crawl.

 

“Hurry and wake her up,” he said seriously. “When she’s good to go, immediately go to Yesung. I’ll send him a message that you’ll visit him.”

 

I started to shake Taeyeon awake, aware of hyung’s grave tone. “Dammit midget, wake up!”

 

“This is impossible,” hyung ran his fingers through his thick brown hair. “It’s been centuries since a cursed object invaded the land….”

 

My eyes shot up to meet his, but his back was turned to me. Somehow, what he just said… it scared me more.

 

Just what the heck is happening?

 

 

 

 

 

Authors’ note:

Italicized from Lu-Yoon12

Normal for LeFabulousPugnny

 

Lu-Yoon12: Hello guys! We are back with the chapter 2 and can I just say WOW?! Your comments touched us so much, you guys have no idea! We did not expect this kind of reaction from readers. I really want to thank everyone who subbed and commented! As the subbers might know, we send personal messages to them to extend our gratitude by posting on their wall, but we are going to have a shout out for those who left a comment~

 

To CloudyNat,I hope you are still reading our story! We want to thank you for being our fist subscriber! You are so awesome! When we received the notification saying that we have a subscriber we literally partied in our fb chat! Having you as a subscriber really inspired us and made us work back immediately, so really, THANK YOU!

To the first person who left a comment, Poutypouts, OMG, I know what the feels are! Even tho I have co-created the story flow and have been the editor, I can’t help but be sad about the first chapter! Leeteuk is really my bias out of all the SuJu members, but I guess my mind is so messed up for me to suggest that we kill my bias’ character ><

For missno22, it also made me sad L He is my fave member!

LiliMSOSHI, You think this is an awesome story?! THANK YOU! I hope you enjoyed this chapter as well!

Mallowme, We are sorry >< I know how you feel about the character death, it is so damn sad. Well we thought of pairing the OTPs from each respective group like boyxboy and girlxgirl because we are so hopeless like that haha! Thanks for following, hope you liked this ;)

Beaublue, well here it is! Look forward to chap 3 as well!

 

 

Should I give you a clue about the upcoming chapters? Be prepared for a feels road trip!

See you on the next chapter! –Lu-Yoon12

 

LeFabulousPugnny: WASSUP GUYS. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank SO much for the comments and the upvotes and the subs! I love you guys XD

 

Thank you so much for reading our prologue and the first chapter. Yes, there is a lot of feels. Yes. Yes, we killed a char. In the first chap. Yes. We have effed up author minds, I’m sorry.

 

We’ll make it up to you! But I can’t promise that there won’t be any feels-full chaps after this.

 

Btw, Lu and I would like to inform you guys that our updates will be irregular. We might update weekly (but I kinda doubt it) or monthly, or when a miracle happens, after two days. I don’t know. So… I hope you’ll be with patient with us all throughout the story. Thank you.

 

Once again, THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR THE SUBS AND THE COMMENTS AND THE UPVOTES!

 

SEE YOU ON THE NEXT CHAPTER!!!

 

LeFabulousPugnny is out~ <3